1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Christian Wood traded to Dallas for the #26 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jun 15, 2022.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have to admit that this trade has me scratching my head but not not as far as the Rockets are concerned. They clearly got the best value they could hope for a guy who clearly was not the answer for them at center - especially given his sh*tty attitude and approach to the game. No, I'm looking at how the Mavericks once again demonstrated that they have no f'ing clue about why you need to have a someone who can play center.

All season long up here (in Dallas) all you saw/read/heard was the Mavs strutting around extoling about playing "centerless" basketball and how Jason Kidd simply didn't believe in playing Boban at all because he was "too big and too slow". In other words he wasn't Porzingis - yet in the few times he was allowed to get on the court all I saw him do is clog the paint, block shots, dunk the ball and rebound. Kidd couldn't be bothered to find ways to use him when they needed a physical presence in the paint. So immediately after they get bounced by GSW in the WCF (primarily by getting murdered in the paint), the narrative changes. NOW they need to go find a "rim protector" and "defensive presence" at the 5 and so they dump Boban, the 26th pick and spare parts for Wood? Let me get this straight: Wood is going to allow them to take the next step forward and address their defensive liabilities? Is this an episode of Ridiculousness?

While I have no doubt his level of play will improve given that he'll be playing with Luka (whom the Mavs expect to do everything), I can't see him suddenly becoming an AD, Gobert, Jokic, Embid or even a (Robert) Williams type of player. As another poster pointed out here: there's a reason why he's on his 6th team in 7 years. In reality I shouldn't be surprised by this in the least - after all I actually had Mark Cuban once tell me to my face that Shawn Bradley was the answer.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

It’s one of the worst-kept secrets that Wood might not have opted to re-sign with Houston once his free agency hit next summer, having made his desires for playoff basketball known. When teams came calling for Wood in February, Houston passed on all offers, deeming them below their valuation. They were just fine holding onto him unless there was a deal they couldn’t pass up. We can reasonably assume that none of the teams that expressed serious interest were willing to put a first-round pick on the table, given the fact that it’s the biggest acquisition of the trade from Houston’s side of things. Adding the No. 26 pick further stocks the capital cabinet. — Kelly Iko

Drift Monkey, BigMaloe, Nook and 9 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

not at all my friend

this trade instantly improves the locker room and helps to foster a more team over stats environment

let the Christian Wood fans cry over losing their man, he’s not our problem any more

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My big concern with this trade (and with potential trades for EG for a late FRP) is that they weren't able to straight for what they want (i.e., they couldn't get a protected future FRP for Wood from Dallas). As they couldn't get a future FRP from Dallas, it will likely take additional assets to make turn this pick into a future FRP. I'm not sure what those additional assets will be to trade this pick to either move up or out of this draft.

Getting rid of Wall (buyout or trade) would really help Rockets in managing roster spots.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you’re Mark Cuban, you want to be the guy who makes his big mistakes signing Chandler Portions, not the guy who gives up four first rounders for Christian Wood

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey, Nook and steddinotayto like this.
  7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The only people I see crying over this trade are the ones who clearly didn't watch closely last season and are enamored by his 20-10 stat line or whatever it is. I know you are thrilled, we have wanted this guy out of town since day 1.

RasaqBoi, Dobbizzle and Reeko like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

that logic made no sense to me

Teams waiting to see if the Rockets will extend him, and then they’d really want him afterwards? Really?

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Will and Paulo alves on twitter. You should go mess with them for a bit til they block you as they did me :D

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Dallas can't really trade future first round picks because they already owe a top 10 protected pick to the Knicks for the years 23-25. The Rockets could have made this trade knowing that there is a team willing to move back in the draft in exchange for picks 17 & 26. Stone has not been great at the deadline but so far draft trades have been a strong suit of his so there might be something more already lined up.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

yesterday was like Christmas in June for me

Christian Wood is the type of player no one on the team likes or wants to play with

now we have another big in Paolo coming in who will need a lot of shots and touches, and Sengun who we’re still developing

So the point of Wood being here is what exactly?

all this talk of “we were 1-13 without Wood” is irrelevant when we were still bottom of the league getting our ass beat every night with him

this is the very definition of addition by subtraction…Thank u Stone!!

13. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah Wood alone wasn't getting us a mid 1st and certainly not a late lottery.

14. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

2 to 3 1st round picks???? What Christian Wood were you watching? He aint Anthony Davis

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sengun all the way baby!

Drift Monkey and Patience like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You made me laugh!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

But Rockets won the tank.

This was done to put exclamation point on another worst team in NBA season for Wembanyana sweepstakes.

If Rockets keep Boban or Kleber then it will only be for end of bench otherwise I will be boondoggled. Give those minutes to the younger players.

#817 D-rock, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Believe It!, jcmoon and Rokman like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just went and listened to the Locked on Mavericks podcast for their reaction (and my ears are bleeding). But while they seem to like this move given the price, they also described it as a "big risk" because instead of having a young player locked into a 4 year contract they get a guy who is an unrestricted free agent next year. They also acknowledged his alleged attitude problems and how he's never stuck anywhere.

Kind of funny to hear them describe it as a big risk while so many of you act as if we got robbed.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The low price paid for wood is just another example of the left, Mark Cuban , George Soros’, and Doris Burke’s continued war on Christianity and men .

christian wood . In the 90’s / 00’s that guy would be worth somethin . Thanks Obama

palmsnbananas and BigDog63 like this.
  20. conquistador#11

It also opens up the opportunity for Jalen to average 18 fgas.

RasaqBoi likes this.