1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Trade up for Tari Eason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 19, 2022.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I repeat! Tari Eason (and Sochan)will not make it to #17. The Rockets will have to trade up.

peleincubus and palmsnbananas like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have my doubts that he falls to 17 .... his advanced metrics / stats are just too damn good.

red5rocket and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Buh..buh...he can't go left???

And Dieng is only 18 (he is actually 19).

5. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Would love to get these players in order:
    1. Dieng,
    2. Sochan,
    3. Eason!

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

I definitely see both guys as fitting best at the 4 for different reasons. I think it could work out well if Banchero essentially plays the role of a wing on offense and Eason spots up in a corner or moves without the ball. On defense Eason would take the tougher matchup between the 3 and 4 for the other team. I think that could work well. However, my favorite pairing is still Jabari at the 3 and Eason at the 4 with Sengun at the 5. Still holding out hope that is how things go down despite my burgeoning excitement about the offense with Banchero.

Milos and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Eason can play 3, this concern is bordering on fabrication.

The 3 and 4 are practically interchangeable.

And if House and KJ can play 3/4 then so can Eason.

CF becomes a hypochondriac with players over 6'6 at the forward spots.

Deckard, leebigez, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eason can play the three like Tate can play the three. It can work. It puts a lot of pressure on having 4s and 5s that can stretch the defense. If the Rockets had the right center, it would be a way to hide Wood at the 4. I'm not sure how I would feel about a Wood-Paolo-Eason frontcourt. Most of the time, I think Eason would be better at the 4 as it will likely be easier to find smaller players that are skilled offensively.

D-rock likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Eason can play the 3 why the hell are people saying Banchero can’t. He has infinitely better ball handling than Eason.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

C'mon now, you know I was early on the Tari train.... But the fact is that, offensively, he is not as polished as you might like a perimeter player to be. I think a comp to early Ariza who was a fish out of water when asked to do somethings out on an island is fair. I think his skill level is much more than adequate offensively for a 4/big.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Modern NBA is position-less. Defense is more how many position you can defend. Offense is more iso anyway.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

That is the reason why he isn't lottery. Remember Kawhi? Can't shoot 3, bad ball handling in college? Eason's shot isn't broken. He can improve. We need better defender. We have enough players who need the ball. I will not trade up for him though.

leebigez and D-rock like this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's not about ball handling but defensive concerns. Andre Roberson had zero handles, but if he could reliably hit a three he would have been a starting SF on many teams.

I personally don't think Banchero would struggle defensively at the 3. Similar players like Marcus Morris and Tobias Harris guard the position just fine. Lauri Markkanen can be a starting SF and not get blown by on every possession.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I want Eason, but I expect his shot needs to be rebuilt if he wants to shoot a lot of threes and pull his defender closer to the 3 point line.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have comped Eason to Kawhi Leonard in this very thread. I agree with everything you have posted. For me though, I think Eason is best used in much the same way that Patrick Williams or Scottie Barnes is as a mobile 4. He can play the 3 and do a yeoman's job I am sure but his skill level would be best served at the 4 where he would have an advantage with his speed and athleticism.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

1-5 positions is traditional and increasingly outdated way of identifying players.

Just as PG, SG, SF, PF, C are legacy terms but currently an outdated guide, essentially shorthand for less savvy TV viewers.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/06/0...6546204723249&referrer=https://www.google.com

NBA has become positionless, especially on defense.

On offense it has become even more specialized:

https://www.wired.com/2012/04/analytics-basketball/

If not completely positionless, then the positions need redefining for greater accuracy or updated definition of role:

https://www.bruinsportsanalytics.com/post/neo_positions

#279 D-rock, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Corrosion likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

While I agree that there has always been overlap between the various positions and the lines have blurred significantly over the last 10 or so years. However I don't think that dispels with the utility of labeling positions so long as you account for that overlap. With Eason in particular, who you know I love as a prospect, I feel like he is better suited offensively to have fewer responsibilities on the perimeter. While he can do things out there I don't feel like that's the best use of his tools. That's it. Defensively I am comfy with him guarding any opponents best player.

D-rock likes this.