1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's pair Allen with TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 27, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sonics reportedly are ready to deal Ray Allen, as he starts the last year of his contract.

Rox should step up with an offer of Mo, the TE, Pike and Griffin and relieve Seattle of Allen and (albatross, but back up 5 possible) Potapenko.

Seattle frees $, gets a TE, rids themselves of two guys they don't want for someone to help get Collison started and cap filler.

Sonics are woefully thin 'up front'. Still. But greater chance of thickening up.

Rox get a 2 - 3 pairing of two terrific players and JJax in support. BBarry more likely to sign here with that deal.

And -- JVG gets to learn OFFENSIVE, fan fun friendly hoops!

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So what happen to the trade with PIKE? and OLLIE?? Is it still in the work? or has it happen?

Havn't heard anything official on it since it was posted 2 weeks ago.:)

3. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

i love ray allen and would love for that trade to happen but i think seattle could get a better deal than that.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to the Chron, the TE CANNOT be packaged with a player in a trade.

5. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

That deal wouldn't work, as far as I understand. You can only use the TE in a package with one other player, not two. So it would have to be two seperate trades where the Rockets agree to take Potapenko. A lineup of

PG: Fisher
    SG: Allen
    SF: McGrady
    PF: Howard
    C: Ming

would have a mix of offense and defense. I'd prefer Fisher to Barry since we'd have enough outside shooting, and we could use his D. This is probably a pipe dream though, but it never cost anything to dream!

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Highly Unlikely!.

7. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets won't be able to afford three all star players.

YM, TM, and roll players will be the order of the day.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ray Allen would be the perfect weak side perimete player for the Rockets. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no chance we'll be able to acquire him without trading Steve, Yao, or T-Mac to Seattle.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'd rather us keep Cat then have Ray. :(

Ray is a better shooter, but Cat is in a different league when it comes to defense.

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah too bad Mobley's going..I'm gonna miss Cat!
    I wish we could get Allen with Yao and Tmac. lol I wish we could get Rashard too. :p
    I would do that trade even though it is not possible..
    What does albatross mean? I like Potapenko..he's big and physical..they usually use him to assault Yao.

11. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Albatross in this context means he's an overpaid player with a large contract whose team wishes he was extinct

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So Seattle gives up Ray Allen for some garbage, a HUGE contract, and a TE?

This T-Mac fiasco is making us nuts!!

Seattle will be looking for some names for Allen. Francis, Harrington, and SAR, are some realistic players. Not MoT, Pike, Griffin.

13. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

CANNOT USE TE IN COMBINATION WITH PLAYERS.

14. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

That would be a killer combo but I think Mo will be ready for this season. He knows that he needs to step up and earn that contract. He is a good scorer, and maybe he will realize that we need his ass to rebound. Give Mo another year and if he cant do what we need him to do then get rid of him. He needs one more year with us.DFOOLZ

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That will make using the TE less likely, at least in balancing the post-SF roster.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

If he is barely realizing this now, then it definitely shows the shallow content of Mo Taylor's character. Whether he was making $8 million or $800,000, he should always strive to play hard and make himself a better player.

17. MadGame2002

MadGame2002 Member

I think barring Mcgrady trade doesnt go through Ray Allen is a good second option.
    As far as Allan Houston = Ray Allen games are concerned they are both similar. Van Gundy got Allan Houston to play defense in NY is why they made the Finals that year.
    Ray allen of course being a bit quicker. Expect Ray Allen and Kurt Thomas to be our fallback plan.
    Tyson Chandler is a real good probability. Chicago are showing signs they are still looking for a 2 guard with showing interest in Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.
    Van Gundy despite what media types say like having a good fastbreak running team.
    If we are willing to trade Francis/Mobley/Cato we can upgrade our team and mold it around Yao better.

If we could keep Cato and somehow land Chandler and play him at SF we'de have a starting line of 7 footers. I'm all for that.
    So let's not be too sad about if this trade doesn't go through we do still have options.
    Notice no deals have been made. It's real quiet. People are waiting to see if this deal doesn't go through. Me thinks our players are coveted somewhere not just Mcgrady.

I'de like to weigh the negatives of the trade for Mcgrady.
    Besides Mcgrady who are we getting that are proven players that will give as much effort on the court as our guys?
    Say what you say about Francis or Mobley or Cato but this season they dedicated themselves to playing hard on both ends.
    Dont get me wrong I'm all for getting Mcgrady but arent we going to basically be the orlando magic next season but with Yao and JJ?
    Of course Yao is a superstar in the making but isn't giving up our players hurt our team defense a bit?
    With all that said barring anything happens we are getting a bonafide superstar in McGrady.
    And van Gundy has been able to win with only 2 scoring options (Sprewell/Allan Houston.)
    We'll definitely be a hell of a lot smarter with the ball.
    Juwon Howard has been around the league and has better basketball IQ than Cato. And I expect him to be somewhere between Cato and Taylor as far as what he'll bring to the team.
    Reece Gaines could be a sleeper of this trade too. He's a big combo guard who can play both the 1 and 2. he could very well be an energy guy off the bench. Might learn from Adrian Griffin.
    Look for him to find alot of playing time this year backing up JJ at the 2.
    I dont expect however Tyron Lue will be in a rockets uniform. We'de let him walk to free up some cap space to go after a reliable PG.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I'm sure the sonics would be beating down our door if they were to get this offer

19. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

*drool*.......

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Feigan has no real idea of what he's reporting. In his article he quotes and NBA exec as saying that the TE can't be aggregated with a player. That is not the same thing as not being able to package the TE and a player together.

here's the difference:

You can't trade a $2M player + a $6.9M TE for an $8.9M player. That would be aggregating the salaries.

You can, however, do a trade where you send a $2M player + a $6.9M TE for a player making up to $6.9M. In other words, Hypothetically, it's perfectly legal for us to package Boki + TE for Richard Hamilton. I'm still packaging a player and the TE in a deal, I just can't aggregate the two amounts. As long as I can break the deal up (from my end) into two parts; one that fits under the exception and the other part covers everything else. If both parts of the trade are legal, then the deal works.

Feigan is just repeating what he hears without really understanding what it means. He took a valid quote and without knowing it, changed the context and ended up with an incorrect statement.

#20 aelliott, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004