1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Badiane staying in Germany???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FrancisFan3, Jun 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Maybe people have gotten a little too excited about Badiane, but it's not like most of us are projecting him to start or something. Given what he has now (raw athleticism, hustle attitude), it's not unreasonable to think he can compete with any other twelfth-man for a spot in the rotation.

I guess I see him as a Najera-type, but I'm not extremely familiar with either. What do people think Najera has over Badiane?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anyone else somewhat bothered that we are not having summer leagues. . . . I think the BAD MAN could learn something there

Rocket River

3. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

LOL. Number 12 (Geert Kullamae from Estonia) always looks like a psycho. :D

But back to topic. Malick signed a 4 year deal with the Skyliners, but the team's manager said that they would allow him to play in the NBA if the Rockets want to pick him up.

If the T-Mac trade goes through, though, I don't see him getting a chance to play for the Rockets in the next season. And the contract extension seems to indicate that that assumption is right.

But I don't think that's too bad. The Skyliners won the title, so in the next season Malick will get a chance to compete against the best european forwards and centers in the Euroleague.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Basketball skills. :)

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Why were we so excited about the Bad Man?

Answer seems simple enough. No first round pick at a time when we were excited about the team as a whole.

In an off season lacking much in the way of personel additions, Badiane was about all we had other then JJ.

If we'd had a first, Badiane would have been a footnote. If it weren't for our Badiane experience, we'd probably be very excited about this year's 2nd. How many of us watched the draft for hours, pr hit refresh umpteen times on our draft tracker to see who we picked in the 2nd this year?

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Why???

Why waste his contract on years where he won't be ready, only to lose him to FA, when he IS ready???

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We continue to retain his rights for two years after he signs with us for the regular NBA season -- or we renounce or trade him. For example, we still retain the rights to PG Kyle Hill.

#27 thumbs, Jun 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  8. o3gs

o3gs Member

And I'm back....after being locked out all last week, and then being busy the past few nights with the draft and what-not I have a few things to tell you about the BAD MAN.

1. He is in Houston this weekend to participate in the mini-camp the Rockets are having.

2. He had some passport trouble getting over, didn't get to Houston as quickly as anyone would have liked, but that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

3. Obviously, Houston is going to give him a strong look this summer. At this point, I can't really put a sure-thing percentage on his chances of signing an NBA contract, so we'll just have to see, and as soon as I know something, all of you will know something.

4. As for the Skyliners deal....obviously if the Rockets want Malick, the Skyliners are going to let him leave. Not only does it bring good publicity to their team if one of their players makes an NBA roster, but they get somewhere around $350,000 when his contract gets bought out.

5. Also on the Skyliners deal....since a NBA contract is not a sure thing right now, it makes a lot of sense for Malick to sign a long-term deal with the Skyliners. The only way you get paid decently over there is to sign a long-term deal. Year-to-year contracts generally result in being paid very little over the league minimum.

6. Pretty much you have to look at the situation as win-win for Malick. If the Rockets sign him, he is in the NBA, whether he plays much or not. If he goes back to Germany, then he plays against the best centers/fowards in Europe and hopefully see's more playing time.

As I learn more, you will learn more....

o3gs

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thanks for the update o3gs. I guess JVG and co. will personally get to see if Malick is ready for the NBA, which I doubt.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Exactly.

So why sign him now, and use up those two years when he might not be ready. Why chance that after those two years, he does develop, and as a FA, signs with someone else?

Why not wait till we know that he can contribute significant minutes, THEN sign him to his 2 year deal???

Of course, there is always the NBDL. Anyone know how that works? Would we have to sign him before he can play in that league??

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why does the second coming of Venson Hamilton generate so much infatuation?:confused:

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Davin Ham is still in the NBA.

:rolleyes:

13. Fegwu

The number 2 draft of the 2003 NBA draft is still in the NBA.

14. Fegwu

Ervin "no-magic" Johnson is still in the NBA.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the reason everyone gets excited about Badiane is because of articles like this:

http://www.speedstrength.com/art27.asp

He's a freak of nature with the physical tools to be something special, and many thought he would be a first round pick .... but he's so far off from it on a basketball skills level that it's still a long road ahead.

He has a lot of bulking up to do and there is a lot of basketball playing experience needed (A LOT), but it's his defensive-mindset, wingspan, size and motor that has people hoping he can be something.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's perfectly natural and harmless fun to fantasize that a raw but athletically gifted, high energy, young African can develop his game to one day become a force for the Houston Rockets.

It's not like hasn't happened before :)

17. munco

munco Member

isn't it more probable for him to not make the Rockets or the NBA than to make to either? I was curious what the odds were of someone picked in the middle of the 2nd round to make the team, I don't think they're very good quite frankly.

I really hope the kid makes it though, but I think there were clips last year from this board and I don't remember thinking he was an athletic freak. I would reserve that term for guys like Shawn Kemp before he had like 25 kids and Amare Stoudamire (as much as i don't like the guy).