1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Just looking at the situation, KJ closed 2020-2021 really strong, with the last 14 games having 8 starts and an average MPG of 34 per game. Obviously it was full tank mode, but I'm sure it still stings to seemingly fight so hard and show massive improvement, and then have the team go out and sign two guys to your position(s) in Theis and Nwaba, and draft two more 19-year olds in Garuba and Sengun. From the viewpoint of trying to maximize tradeable/moveable assets in a lost year, it makes sense. If I was in both KJ and Kenyon's shoes though, I can imagine it would feel pretty crappy.

And it really doesn't get any better, considering arguably the only player in the top 5 that doesn't completely block him again from getting minutes is Jaden Ivey, who would probably still just play out of position in a 3-guard lineup next to KPJ and JG.

It's a little inappropriate to treat this next year as the last one on his deal when he actually has two more, but I do agree with Clutch that it might be a choice between retaining either Tate or KJ going forward. Tate absolutely seems like the the locker room leader, so I can't imagine that it's easy for a 21-year old to basically have to come into work every day and think; they should fire our team leader whom everyone likes and give me his job and money. That's a heck of a lot easier for your father to say from the stands, rather than you putting that out there to management.

Last thing I'd say is that it's easier to stand out as a role player on a good team with a strong leadership hierarchy, because you get to limit your skillset to best complement a star or a system. Opportunities to play through mistakes might be much more limited, but if you get there, you will get paid, because the contenders are more concerned with continuity, and have limited ways to add outside talent.

Kenyon Sr. just wants to get KJ paid like Taylor Horton Tucker, where your contract is big enough they're forced to play you, rather than have him be on a minimum expiring deal buried on the 2023-2024 roster with EIGHT other first rounders.

fattz, BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

They are trying to win. But just with the guys they've drafted. This team will win when we have a star and at least one other really good player. That's the only way to do it if you want to contend for a championship without being a destination city.

Otherwise we can all jump on the mediocrity treadmill again and start signing role players to big contracts

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Disagree with those saying he’d be worse off on a better team.

New Orleans has a really young team. A lot of good teams have young players that come in and make an impact as part of the rotation.

I think kj could get rotation minutes everywhere. His game can mesh with many styles as he doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective.

The rockets need to do everything they can to win next season. Two years in a row being the worse team in the league is enough.

D-rock likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sort of a pointless thing to say though, no? The point of a rebuilding team is first to try and find some cornerstone players. At that point, you move on to winning. With all respect to KJM, he is not a cornerstone player. To me Kenyon is just saying what any dad would say - if his kid is a developing role player he would prefer that his kid is on a team getting notoriety and rings instead of one desperately searching for direction after the owner blew it up. That's shocking.

Now that the Rockets have had 2 years of top picks, it's going to be time to add mentors and leaders to the team with the Wall cap space and move to "improvement" mode instead of "rebuild" mode. Getting rid of that $40M boulder in the pool that the Rockets keep swimming around is going to be a pivotal moment.

vator likes this.
  5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's not like he set up a public press conference to say this. He was asked about it specifically on a pod and he gave his opinion. And again, I don't think he said anything out of line or unexpected. He's glad his son gets minutes, but would prefer he was in a winning environment. Wouldn't we all?

SamFisher likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The order of players that I would be bummed if they are gone in order.

1 Green
    2 Sengun
    3 Christopher
    4 Garuba
    5 KJ Martin
    6 Tate
    7 KPJ
    8 Gordon
    9 Wood

Hopefully Martin is apart of the winning down the road.

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It just sounded like a guy that wants his kid on a winning team. I mean he gave examples like the Nets and NO. NO has been rebuilding, it seems like, for ... well... ever, and the Nets was a dysfunctional and possibly underachieving team, but hey, they have stars and made the playoffs.

It sounds more like he just wants his kid in an already-winning environment. I'm more curious to see what things are like next year with the Rockets, because, let's face it, there may be a chance he gets even fewer minutes. Unless they find a way to give everybody 20-30 minutes so their dads aren't pissed, of course. lol.

8. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

True! Most teams are stacked as his position too

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

*** his Dad.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He ain't on the team, he can say whatever he wants.

Player parents aren't a constituency we really need to worry about - take it from Austin:

UTSA2step, 34to11 and vator like this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

Oh come on. A press conference? Lavar Ball never set up a press conference to throw shade at the teams or coaches Lonzo played for. He was asked questions that he didn’t answer with tact. I already acknowledged that of course you would prefer your kid to be on a winning team, but did he answer the question as tactfully as he could’ve? I would argue no he didn’t. Did he sound like a guy who was bought in. I would again argue no.

To me an answer could have been framed more like they’re a young team that is struggling to learn how to win. I see a lot of growth and I think they have a bright future. They play hard and they’re building the right kind of culture they need to be successful, but they’re doing it from the ground up so there will be growing pains. Something like that. Like the things Ryan Hollins says for example. That’s not how he feels. He doesn’t seem to like what he’s seen in 2 seasons.

Instead he says I’m not a fan of the way they’re going about things and would prefer KJ go somewhere else where they play hard and play the right way, but we’ll see if things change. Right now he’s in Houston.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are not trying to win, when you sit John Wall all year, and you sit guys at the end, they are not trying to win at all.

DD

vator likes this.
  13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Maybe he just isn’t a fan of Coach Silas. I can’t say I’d blame him because I’m not. He didn’t specifically say what he didn’t like. That was not expounded upon, but he clearly doesn’t currently have the best opinion of the situation in its totality. If he did, I would imagine he would think KJ could build with the young core here and thrive. Be part of the turnaround.

I’m not trying to vilify Kenyon Martin. He’s a straight shooter. He spoke his mind. Is what it is. Some of you say it’s nothing. Some like myself think there is little something there worth talking about.

It’s the off-season, not a whole lot to discuss until the draft lottery.

J.R., BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But we don't know that: we don't know that they'll have a lot of growth or that they're setting up a winning culture. I mean, no team that wins back-to-back worst team in the league championships has a winning culture. We do know that not everyone on the team always plays hard.

Hollins would be fired if he spoke his mind. K-Mart is not on the Rockets' payroll.

K-Mart is a KJM fan first and foremost, while we are Rockets fans first and foremost. I think that's the only difference here.

vator likes this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, winning isnt the priority right now.

Come back next offseason.

vator likes this.
  16. 34to11

34to11 Member

Meh.
    Not the first sports parent to overvalue their kid, won't be the last.
    Does make you wonder if maybe this is why KMJ skipped around schools so much.

Anyway, he said his piece and it should have absolutely zero bearing on how the Rockets proceed with their rebuild.

UTSA2step and vator like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

What if you’re actually Kenyon Martin?! :eek:;):oops:

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate and EGo should have most trade value of your bottom 5.

And Stone needs to trade them.

Wood too if it brings back a starter.

20. DreamR

DreamR Member

He specifically mentioned Brooklyn, Milwaukee, San Antonio, Miami, Phoenix, & New Orleans

4 of the 6 are trying to compete for a championship and have no room for him in their rotation

As for the other two, Popovich hardly even plays Primo and he was the 12th pick. Ain't no way KJ gets any real playing time with the Spurs. New Orleans are still developing young guys and are further along than us, but I think we will catch up and even surpass them soon if we nail this and next years draft picks