1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

See, that's just the thing, I don't "hate" Jalen Green.....i just criticize him when it's due and praise him when he deserves it. Nothing more.

I personally hope the kid develops and is a quality player moving forward.....the only thing I "hate" is his absolutely cancerous fanbase.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

All of those guys are significantly better than KPJ. When you have a scoring PG/wing that can't score efficiently, you end up with Lance Stephenson as your best case scenario.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

KPJ’s problem is when he plays as PG, his eyes only has Christian Wood.

I can’t see he makes many plays for other teammates but Wood.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I wouldn’t mind if he was a building block involved in a blockbuster trade one day……

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

6. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I totally agree. Ty Lawson was horrible here. I went to the season opener that year and I was so damn excited. Then we got blown out and Ty sucked in a Rockets jersey. Ill be that excited again, once Wood is out of a Rockets jersey.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think it's both ways. There are some stretches about how good green is but there are some absolute craziness about how bad he is. Prime example is people calling him a bust already or saying his absolute best will be a servicable player in2 to 3 years. I think as 2 extremes develop, each side takes their rhetoric to an even more extreme to offset one other. Some people will simply never like him bc he was picked over Mobely even if he becomes a good player. It's the same crowd that would have never liked Hakeem bc he got picked over Jordan.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I am not into buying sports jerseys in any way but the only jersey I ever considered buying was a Ty Lawson one. His play was so bad it became comedy and I want that jersey for satire.

Dacamel likes this.
  9. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

If only he would drive to the lane as often as he use to drink and drive.

10. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If both green and KPJ hit their potential, we will have an amazing backcourt.

ilias, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would never call Bev, Smart or even Steph traditional pass first PG.

And while I'm a vocal KPJ supporter I'd still trade him for an actual All Star or burgeoning All Star.

Same for anyone else on this current Rockets team.

#71 D-rock, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. I would trade him for an all-star or burgeoning All Star if the fit was right and the hit to our cap didn’t take us out of contention for more all-stars. I was just trying to make a point about all these people saying he is not a pg and we need a pg. Point guards in the new NBA come in a whole lot of different styles and the style KPJ is playing is now the predominant one. Let’s see what we get in the draft, hire a decent coach and then decide how the players fit together. If we take BPA and its Ivey we will have 4 combo guards that we will have to make decisions on. I’m really hoping for a top 2 pick so we can get Chet or Jabari and continue to grow Green and KPJ.

D-rock and sydmill like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For people that knew he had an alcohol problem, it wasn't exactly news.

Dacamel likes this.
  14. ilias

ilias Member

He is clearly talented with plenty of room to grow. If he continues to develop, he is likely to be a good starter in the league, say a 4th-best player on a contender. I can see him playing the role EG had on the Harden-CP Rocket team.

He would benefit from the dreaded M-word…yes…Moreyball. He is shooting around 25% on his non-layup 2s, and these 3ft+ 2s are a hefty 27% of his field goal attempts. He is also making under 60% of his free throws on a relatively small volume for a ball-handling guard. Improving on these aspects should be doable in the next 2-3 years, eg an extra FT/game, getting to 80% on his FTs and back to 50% on his 2s, shifting 1 mid-range jumper to a 3. Just getting better at these areas would turn him into a 16pt scorer with league average TS% at his current usage to go with 6+ assists. That’s a pretty decent starter or a leading candidate for 6thMOTY right there.

For him to be a key building block he would need to become a much better playmaker and defender. At this point, i don’t see a lot of evidence that this is likely. Not saying that he won’t get better at these things, just that we could say the same for every player in the league. There are no easy fixes here. Maybe getting some bulk as he ages will allow him to rebound more or to defend better against stronger guards. Maybe, as the Rockets get better, being part of a winning team will change some of his behaviours. Defence starts with personality, effort, natural instinct, will to win. He hasn’t shown a lot of that yet.

D-rock and DaDakota like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ is a good player who is getting better and shows signs of greatness.

DD

16. jojolover

jojolover Member

Goodness or greatness?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

How are u a PG and shoot 59% from the free throw line? That is around what Ben Simmons shoots during the regular season

efficiency is garbage

turnover rate is a whopping 21%…that’s higher than even Harden’s 16-17 season when he was averaging almost 6 turnovers a game

not even Westbrook has had a turnover rate over 20%

very interested in seeing what the Rockets do because a decision is coming up soon

larsv8 and harold bingo like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Be prepared for disappointment, the Rockets almost certainly don't feel the same way about KPJ as Jalen Green fans do.

While you can cherry pick stats to push a certain narrative, context matters. You can talk about KPJ's turnover rate....what is "real PG" Schroder's with the Rockets?

While you can complain about his fluke low FT% this season, what is his 3 point %?

I don't see the Rockets giving up on the team's best ball handler at 21.

Does he have work to do? Sure.....but not nearly as much work as Jalen Green does.....should we give up on him too?

sydmill likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I give no fcks about what Schroder is doing, he sucks too…bringing him up is irrelevant to me

His efficiency is still trash despite his 3 point percentage, so congrats I guess?

last time I checked, Jalen Green isn’t heading into his 4th season

rfrocket and harold bingo like this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Jalen Green is still this bad in year three then yes, we should give up on him