1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Clutchfans Movie Directors Tournament Final

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Here it is - the final - please vote on who you think is the better director. Voting will close on this on Saturday, February 26, 2022 at 12 noon.

Stanley Kubrick vs. Alfred Hitchcock

K mf G likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

An almost impossible choice. Both had a catalogue of legendary titles, and both were consistently treading new ground.

I'm gonna go with Hitchcock because I love mystery in my movies, and he's the best at it...by a mile. I wish modern directors made them more consistently.

FrontRunner and Manny Ramirez like this.
  3. Manny Ramirez

I echo sealclubber's post - I have stated many times that I think Kubrick is the GOAT but he only did 13 movies - but he was a quality guy over quantity. Hitchcock had close to 50 movies and there are a few that aren't great but he did have a lot of great and timeless movies. I have a feeling that Kubrick is going to win and there would be nothing wrong with that but I am picking an upset here and I am also going to go with Hitchcock.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

This has been fun @Manny Ramirez, I truly appreciate the effort you made.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Kubrick. Should have been Spielberg.

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This was a lot of fun @Manny Ramirez . So much so, I hope you'll find more subjects. Thank you for the idea and for seeing this through to the end.

As for who is the best ever, I'm voting Hitchcock. Is he my favorite? Probably not. But he has been super influential and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, there's no question there.

Manny Ramirez and Xerobull like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kubrick. Should have been Scorsese.

That said, my thinking on the Kubrick Hitchcock matchup. I think Kubrick is the better director and the greater artist; Hitchcock is the greater entertainer. In that way Hitchcock resembles Spielberg more as a director than he does Kubrick. Also Kubrick is an innovator in a way that Hitchcock isn't (although it's close). Hitchcock's emphasis on thrillers, a genre he mastered, renders him somewhat less complex than Kubrick. Kubrick excelled in every genre he worked in.

Also want to say thanks to @Manny Ramirez , it's been a lot of fun to think about all these directors and all these films.

Manny Ramirez and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Kubrick, as it should be. His films are euphonies (except for Eyes Wide Shut).

IMO, Ridley Scott is the second best director, and my personal favorite still alive, so I am biased.

Spielberg may be #3, thanks to this whole exercise for educating me.

This whole thing is going to change in the next 10 years. So many amazing directors in the field.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

hitchcock, but it would have been spielberg if he had made it to finals.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I hate it but I'll abstain from voting since I just don't have enough experience watching Hitchcock movies.

I will also say thanks to you, Manny, for organizing this. It has been fun to think through and read others' thoughts. I also appreciate that you left it very open ended as to how people determine which director is best, rather than trying to dictate criteria that people will interpret differently or ignore or whatever, which would just turn into arguments. This way it's very much subjective, but can't really be argued.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kubrick - This is a very worthy final and close choice. I agree with the other posters that Kubrick is the better artist and visionary. Hitchcock basically created a genre that we now call movies of a certain type “Hitchcockian” but Kubrick redefined Horror with The Shining, sci-fi with 2001, war movies with Dr. Strangelove and again with Full Metal Jacket.

In addition to those several defining movies such as Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Clockwork Orange and even Eyes Wide Shut.

While many directors have dug into the pathos and joy of the human condition I don’t think any has captured the absurdity of it like Kubrick.

12. matpio

matpio Member

Pretty much an impossible choice, the two best ones reached the finals.

I will have to go with Kubrick for his versatility. He not only made movies of so many different genres, but managed to make classic movies in each of those genres. I love Hitchcock and I wouldn't be mad if he were to win.

Thanks Manny Ramirez, this was fun!

Manny Ramirez and Deckard like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Stanley Kubrick. His genius shines throughout his career. My biggest regret with Kubrick has to be the small number of films he created. I wish he had been as prolific as Hitchcock. Like @matpio, I won't be mad if Hitch wins. How could I? He was a genius as well. We're incredibly lucky to have the films from both of them to enjoy, again and again.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Manny Ramirez

Right now, it’s close with Kubrick up 6-5. We still have more than 24 hours before the voting ends, so get your vote in before this round ends.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one was a better story teller than Hitchcock. He could build tension like no other filmmaker ever.

But man when you look at Kubrick's filmography - he's made critically acclaimed sci-fi, horror, historical movies, war movies, drama. It's just amazing. So many acclaimed movies in so many genres. I have to vote Kubrick for that.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Hitchcock.

18. Buck Turgidson

Gotta go Kubrick

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Another vote for Kubrick here