1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Texans offense set to improve more than defense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2620399

Why so many changes in the offensive line?

Question: I'm so glad you're back. The Texans made a dramatic improvement in their offensive line last season yet, curiously, they changed the coaching, some personnel and the blocking schemes. Why? More important, what'll be the result?

Stephen in Birmingham, Ala.

Answer: Thanks for welcoming me back, Stephen. The Texans' offensive line improved last season as far as sacks (36 to 76) and average yards per carry (3.9 to 3.2) for several reasons: One, the linemen had a season to play together. Two, quarterback David Carr was in his second season and didn't make as many mistakes. Three, Domanick Davis became a bona-fide NFL running back as a rookie with 1,031 yards.

Coach Dom Capers and general manager Charley Casserly thought the line could improve even more, so they hired Joe Pendry, who was Capers' offensive coordinator at Carolina, as offensive line coach with Steve Marshall. Tony Marciano, the primary line coach the first two years, was moved to tight ends. Pendry is a salty veteran who's been around the block a few times. Marshall is a terrific young coach in his third year with the Texans. They switched to a zone scheme because they think it fits the talent better. Right tackle Todd Wade was signed as a free agent. Seth Wand has been given the first-string job at left tackle during offseason and preseason to see if he can handle it. Chester Pitts has moved to left guard after starting at left tackle for two years. By 2005, Stephen, I believe they could have one of the five-best lines in the league.

What happens if Coleman gets hurt?

Q. It sure is good to see you're doing these columns again. I really enjoy reading your Q&As. I really am excited with the move of Marcus Coleman tofree safety. Do you think the switch is an upgrade? My only worry is if he gets injured who'll be his backup? I know Glenn Earl is recovering from injuries, but he looks like a promising athlete. Do you think he'll be ready to back up Coleman?

Eric in Houston

A. Thanks for the compliment, Eric. I enjoy doing these columns, too. I just wish they were all I had to do so I could do a few a week. I went to the Texans' minicamp this week and talked to several members of the organization about a lot of players, including Coleman. They're fired up about the transition. He's always had the size and ability, but playing free safety in a complicated system requires a lot of knowledge of the system, which he didn't have. After two seasons, the coaches are confident he can handle the mental as well as the physical demands. Marlon McCree, who did a nice job after he replaced Matt Stevens last season, should win the backup job. Earl, who blew out his knee, is recovering nicely, Eric, but don't expect him to be ready physically or mentally to be No. 2 by the start of the season. Earl's very talented and should start to pay off in 2005.

Will offense or defense be improved?

Q. I haven't seen your column in a while, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to throw some at you. Will the Texans' offense or defense be the most improved? Are they playing money games with Kailee Wong and Antwan Peek at right outside linebacker? Is rookie Jason Babin an upgrade over Wong on the other side? How much will tight end Bennie Joppru contribute? Is defensive tackle Robaire Smith more of a run stopper or pass rusher? What will Billy Miller's role be? What kind of progress do you think David Carr will make? And, finally, the Texans have showed guts and great coaching over the last two years. Injuries and lack of talent at some positions have really slowed this team's development because it hasn't been able to use the entire playbook on both sides of the ball. What can we expect new from the Texans?

Jeremy in Houston

A. Wow, Jeremy, you're making up for lost time, aren't you? You're very perceptive on many of your questions and observations, some of which I didn't run because I've got to get to other e-mails. Moving Wong to the other side and then trying him inside has to do with this: The coaches think Babin can be outstanding, and they want him to learn on the run. Wong will start opposite Babin. Peek will get as much playing time as he can handle. By 2005, probably, Babin and Peek will start at outside linebacker. Wong, who played inside at Minnesota, provides depth there this season but could replace Jamie Sharper or Jay Foreman at some point in the future. No one has any idea how much Joppru will contribute. He's healthy, but this is like his rookie season. And remember, Jeremy, he didn't start until his last season at Michigan.

Smith, a solid starter signed from the Titans, is primarily a run stopper. He works hard when he plays in passing situations and comes up with a sack every now and then. No matter what happens at tight end, I still think Miller will be one of Carr's favorite targets. If Carr stays healthy, I think he'll show dramatic improvement because the line will be better, the receivers more experienced, and Domanick Davis should run for close to 1,500 yards if he stays healthy. I think the offense will improve more than the defense because the defense played better, despite debilitating injuries last season.

Palmer must open up offense

Q. In the Texans’ first two seasons, I began to lose faith in the coaching of offensive coordinator Chris Palmer. They have a young but very talented team. It seems the offense was too vanilla last season. The passing game has hit aplateau, a very low plateau. At first, I was skeptical of David Carr's ability,but he has shown himself to be a true competitor with a great arm. It seems the game plan and play calling were anemic. It's beginning to look like Palmer is still suffering from his decline in Jacksonville and two horrendous seasons at Cleveland. I hope he shows some faith in himself, the offense and the fans of Houston and opens it up. Or maybe I'm just searching for something to tellall of these Patriot fans up here. What do you think?

Mark in Presque Isle, ME

A. First of all, Mark, I’d remind all those Patriots’ fans that New England escaped Reliant Stadium with a 23-20 overtime victory against a team with a losing record, a team that was in the process of being decimated by injuries. Palmer’s like almost every offensive coordinator in that he’s a target for criticism. Here’s the deal, and Patriots’ fans should know this: When he was hired to coach the Patriots, one of Bill Parcells’ first moves was to hire Palmer from the Oilers. Parcells wanted Palmer so desperately that the Oilers filed tampering charges. Not only did Palmer coach receivers, but he also helped tutor Drew Bledsoe. They are still very, very close. Palmer helped the Patriots reach the Super Bowl.

When Parcells left for the Jets, he offered Palmer a job, but he went to Jacksonville instead. While Palmer was the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator, they had one of the NFL’s most prolific offenses. He parlayed an outstanding job with the Jaguars into a head-coaching job with the Browns. He got the shaft after two seasons when he was back-stabbed and fired unfairly. Several teams wanted to hire Palmer, and the Texans got him. Last season, Mark, injuries to Carr and Domanick Davis affected the offense. More important, injuries on defense forced the offense to alter play calling and try to be more conservative to keep the defense off the field. The Texans ended the season with more players on injured reserve than any team in the league. Palmer didn’t get stupid all of a sudden. When his players are healthy and more of a unit because of experience, you’ll see them become more consistent and productive.

Palmer as much to blame as Carr

Q. I was a long-time Oilers’ season-ticket holder, and now I’m a Texans’ season-ticket holder. I see major problems with Chris Palmer. I think he cost us a few games the last two years. I think the reason David Carr threw more interceptions than touchdowns in the fourth quarter was Palmer’s fault, as well. Most of those came on third down since we did not throw on first and second down. What do you think? I guess it all comes back to coach Dom Capers playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

Rob in Houston

A. Check out my previous answer to Mark in Maine, Rob. Man, it’s the offseason, and you guys are already ripping on Palmer, who’s highly regarded in NFL circles because pro scouts know what he has to work with. Because the defense had so many injuries, including being depleted up front, the offense had to become more conservative and rely more on the running game. When Carr was hurt, they ran Domanick Davis a lot, and it paid off. Remember those touchdown passes rookie receiver Andre Johnson dropped that were right in his hands? Was that Palmer’s fault? Let’s see what happens this season before we howl for what’s left of his scalp, huh?

Is Bryant history in Dallas?

Q. Has Dallas receiver Antonio Bryant signed his death warrant after tangling with Tuna and Me-Shawn? Can they get anything for him, or will he be cut and go the way of Troy Hambrick? On a personal note, we never found good Tex-Mex in Nashville, so we stuffed ourselves in Katy at Los Cucos.

Chuck in Bowling Green, KY

A. They’re trying to trade Bryant, Chuck, after signing Dedric Ward off the street. Bryant got angry in practice because he wasn’t getting the repetitions he wanted. He argued with an assistant coach, then Keyshawn Johnson. Bryant threw his helmet and jersey to the ground. Bill Parcells picked up his jersey and threw it at Bryant, who threw it in Parcells’ face. They had to be separated. Parcells waited a day for things to cool down, then started shopping the immature receiver who’s entering his third year. If he’s waived, Bryant’s too talented to not attract a lot of interest. By the way, Chuck, I haven’t eaten Mexican food in Nashville yet, but if I find something I like, I’ll pass it along.