1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I had too many things to do for work so couldn't see this thread until now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

An NBA fan with half a brain and a list of who owns what draft picks (see link below) could have told Stone he wasn't going to get any future 1st rounder for Gordon that exists after 2025. Either Stone isn't a details guy or his team isn't doing a good job of identifying and strategizing multiple outcomes/exit strategies for the trade deadline. God help us all.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is really interesting; hadnt considered that. I guess it’s not the end of the world to have him come off the bench for 20 min a game, but with EG potentially coming back there’s likely to be less (not more) minutes for our young guards. It ain’t gonna help the tank either. I guess I’d rather see guys like Christopher get more minutes.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I see that too. I think that's probably the main reason to not buy out Wall either. To stick it to the Lakers who might try to make a run at signing him in the buyout market.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I can see the logic in it (not agreeing with it mind you) but what are you going to do with a late first round pick if you aren't looking to draft or acquire players this summer? The Rockets aren't ready to add a star player (contrary to the reports), they are just too young and there's so much uncertainty about who will emerge as stars/leaders - and putting an experienced player in might actually stifle growth or disrupt things.

So I could see that a 1st round pick in this draft is in a way an expiring asset if you don't really have an immediate need to acquire a player or draft someone. You might be better off just holding on to EG and finding something during the summer.

Personally I wanted to move EG as a reward to him more than anything else but he seems happy to be here. My only real disappointment is he is playing so well, he might hurt us in the 2022 Tankathon!

I'm more scratching my head at not moving Wood, who just doesn't seem to fit and is such a defensive liability.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Stone and the Fertitta's are definitely reading clutchfans. There is zero reason for them to conduct damage control when only us dorks care about this shitty team lol.

I think we should feel privileged that Fertitta has Stone throwing press conferences to calm Clutchfans down :D:D.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m surprised we couldn’t get a lottery protected 23 or 24 ... hell even a top 18-20 protected .

7. MystikArkitect

I half expect Baby Fertitta to message Gatlin, Roosh and Clutch to try and invite them to his birthday party. Then he can tell them how he has a connect that is totally gonna change the crypto game.

hakeem94, jiggyfly and ElPigto like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

sirjesse likes this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m really glad we kept him and hoping we do through next season too. I can’t stand how much he complains for fouls but I think he would be a good role model for KPJ & Green

I think we need him for the play in push next year. We need to actually compete for free agents to start to look Houston way

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. jayydela

jayydela Member

Might mean that we activate John Wall next year and EG can be 6th man.

Sounds ridiculous, but you never know...

hakeem94 and PatBev like this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

I would gladly welcome both of them to come off the bench. I actually think we could make the playoffs lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is not a weak draft and Josh Christopher would like to say hello.

Did Stone or Morey hold out or did they just take the best deals available, they traded Harden pretty quick so I don't get where they held out and Morey had to throw in 2 FRP's so how did that benefit him?

So now any second round pick is as good as a low st rounder?

Let's just agree to disagree.

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL indeed.

Why are people thinking just making the playoffs is a good thing?

Nook likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Eric Gordon will be even older next year, and declining......STUPID not to trade him now.

DD

sydmill and houston19519 like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I LOLed when you used Augustin as an example a guy who has been more SG than pg in his career and usually off the bench.

I agree it will nice to see a veteran pg running the offense to see what we have but does that mean KPJ is off the ball and how does that impact his development?

Oh, never mind, you hate KPJ, so it does not matter.

JK.:D

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't have jinxed it then!!! :D

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If stone is smart he would keep Dennis around only to trade him this off season to a contender

cheke64 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

It's been his m/o to trade away the vets to their preferred situations. If Gordon wanted out, he would have accommodated him. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

daywalker02 and gfab-babyboi like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don’t think we have his bird rights. Correct?