1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema]Clutchfans Movie Directors Tournament 2nd Half of First Round

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 8, 2022.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock - his body of work speaks for itself. its iconic. everyone knows his famous movies, but he also had this whole career before he broke in america. some of his 1930's british films are up there with his more well known stuff. 39 steps, the man who knew too much, ect. and you know you have achieved a high place in the cultural zeitgeist when the simpsons reference your films as much as they have.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    8 - Wes Anderson - easy one for me. big fan of his movies and ive never liked woody allen, even before his scandals. plus, wes is from h-town!
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow - point break...nuff said. i want her to win this match-up so bad its like acid in my mouth.
    4 - John Ford
    6 - Michael Mann
    14 Cameron Crowe - i hate voting out the guy who did the revenant. thats a top 5 movie of the 21st century for me. but crowe wins.
    7 - Oliver Stone
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola - get outta here meathead!

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese
    8 - Robert Zemeckis - john carpenter doesnt deserve to go out in round 1. tough one.
    5 - n/a
    4 - n/a - i dont feel strongly enough about either to vote, but ive seen more depalma movies.
    6 - 11 Milos Forman - tough one again...lynch shouldnt go out this early, but neither should milos
    3 - 14 Mel Brooks - WTF manny! this is a round 1 match-up?!?!?! it probably should be PTA, but i will not vote out mel brooks in the first round. i cant do it.
    7 - Darren Aronofsky - another really tough one!
    2 - 15 Sergio Leone - damn! again! the prestige is another top 5 21st century movie, but i cant go against SL in round 1.

2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You know, I didn't even think of them as a game. Now that you put it that way... my strike throughs do look odd (just like the gibberish I wrote in my earlier reply.)

What happened, as I'm sure you've guessed by now, is I couldn't decide. I thought by striking through both names Commissioner Manny would know not to count either of them as a vote.

Now if you need me, I'll be in training for the next round. :D

jiggyfly, Manny Ramirez and B-Bob like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock
    8 - Wes Anderson
    12 Billy Wilder
    4 - John Ford
    6 - Michael Mann
    14 Cameron Crowe
    7 - Oliver Stone
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese
    9 - John Carpenter
    5 - Pedro Almodovar
    4 - Brian DePalma
    11 Milos Forman
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson
    10 Guillermo del Toro
    2 - Christopher Nolan

Where the **** is Terry Gilliam? Or did I miss him?

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Also, you're lacking in action movie directors, understandably so.

Special Category:

McTiernan did Predator, Die Hard, and Hunt for Red October in a row.

Verhoeven did RoboCop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct

Cameron did Aliens, The Abyss, and T2

Who ya got?

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. VanityHalfBlack

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock
    8 - Wes Anderson
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow
    4 - John Ford
    6 - Michael Mann
    3 - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu
    10 Federico Fellini
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese
    9 John Carpenter- the greatest of all time
    !
    5 - Pedro Almodovar
    4 - Brian DePalma
    6 - David Lynch
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson
    10 Guillermo del Toro
    Sergio Leone

Xerobull likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock vs 16 Ida Lupino - Not even close. Ida Lupino was a ground breaker in the 1950's but the movies she directed, produced or were in don't compare to Hitchcock's body of work. Like DeMille Hitchcock's name has become an adjective when describing movies or directors.
    8 - Wes Anderson vs. 9 Woody Allen - Leaving aside that Woody Allen's personal creepiness and that Wes Anderson is from Houston and apparently a friend of a friend I have to give this to Allen. Both directors have unique styles but I think Allen's influence is greater.
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow vs 12 Billy Wilder - This is tough because the time difference is so far apart but Wilder's influence is much greater. Double Indemnity was so good of a film noir that the US military thought about hiring him to do psychological warfare. I also think Wilder should've been ranked higher.
    4 - John Ford vs 13 Sam Mendes - Again hard because of the big time difference between them. Again I think John Ford's influence is that much greater.
    6 - Michael Mann vs. 11 Adrian Lyne - This is a close one and both really influenced the 80's style. I'm going to give it to Mann as I think he could move beyond the 80's flashy style and create a gritty period piece like Last of the Mohicans.
    3 - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu vs. 14 Cameron Crowe - This is a really tough one and I'm surprised there is such a disparity in seeding. While I like Inarritu's movies Cameron Crowe has a pretty good body of work. I'm going with Inarritu largely for personal preference.
    7 - Oliver Stone vs 10 Federico Fellini - Again the time difference makes this one tough. Fellini is very influential and as the earlier filmmaker has had a longer influence but I think the affect Oliver Stone has had on culture is much greater.
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola vs 15 Rob Reiner - For a 2 and 15 I don't think this is a slam dunk. Spinal Tap in my opinion is a great movie and The Princess Bride has had a big cultural impact. That said very hard to argue with the Godfather, Godfather II and Apocalypse Now.

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese vs 16 King Vidor - Pretty easy. The time difference makes it hard to judge them but even then Scorcese's impact on filmmaking is much greater. King Vidor though does get some points for coming from Galveston and surviving the Galveston storm of 1900.
    8 - Robert Zemeckis vs 9 John Carpenter - Zemeckis is a great director who has produced a lot of hits but Carpenter is better. He's created some iconic movies.
    5 - Pedro Almodovar vs 12 Sergei Eisenstein - Yet another one where the difference in eras is very great. Eisenstein also suffers that his movies were in Russian and never got a chance to make movies for a wider audience beyond the Soviet Union. I'm going to give it to Eisenstein though because even with those limitations he's cited by many filmmakers as a major cultural influence and even is influential in architecture.
    4 - Brian DePalma vs 13 William Wyler - So many of these have such differences in eras. This one is close but I think given the body of work (Ben Hur, Roman Holiday) Wyler is the greater director.
    6 - David Lynch vs 11 Milos Forman - This is a close one for me. Forman has directed some very iconic movies but stylistically David Lynch has had a more impact.
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson vs 14 Mel Brooks - Anderson is a great director but this is Mel Brooks who is one of the funniest men who has lived. On straight up directing yes it's Anderson but I can't discount Mel Brook's overall impact.
    7 - Darren Aronofsky vs 10 Guillermo del Toro - This is a really tough one. Both are very stylistic directors with distinct visions. I'm going to give it to Del Toro as I think he has a better overall body of work but narrowly.
    2 - Christopher Nolan vs 15 Sergio Leone - More directors from different eras and I think Leone is very underrated here. He's most known for Spaghetti Westerns but he also did Once Upon in America which is one of the great mobster movies. Also his partnership with Ennio Morricone has produced some of the most iconic combinations of visuals and music. Nolan though is undeniably one of the best directors of this era with a very large affect on current culture and his ideas on non-linnear storytelling has really changed how we look at movies. I'm going to give this to Nolan but just by a squeaker.

FrontRunner and Manny Ramirez like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1 - Martin Scorsese easily wins this one. I've never seen a Vidor film so this one was easy.
    16 - King Vidor
    8 - Robert Zemeckis
    9 - John Carpenter - Two titans of American cinema here, both had a huge impact on the culture of the time their movies were made. I'm going with Carpenter because I like his stuff more, but you're a b*stard for pitting these two against each other.
    5 - Pedro Almodovar - Giving it to this guy based on accolades. I'm no student of film so I haven't seen either's works.

12 - Sergei Eisenstein
    4 - Brian De Palma Easy win. Scarface, Carrie, MI, Untouchables, etc
    13 - William Wyler
    6 - David Lynch Tougher than you'd think. Forman has a good stable of films and Lynch is known largely for Twin Peaks, which is television, not movies.
    11 - Miloš Forman
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson - Look, Mel Brooks made some fantastic, silly movies. But Anderson made There Will Be Blood, which is my favorite drama film of all time.
    14 - Mel Brooks
    7 - Darren Aronofsky - Super tough choice here. I like del Toro's movies better but it seems like Aronofsky's films are always heavily decorated. Del Toro may eventually pass him up, though.
    10 - Guillermo del Toro
    2 - Christopher Nolan - Leone is seeded way lower than he should be. I consider him the father of modern filmmaking, bringing us away from the drab, boring talk-talk-talk scenes that were mostly pre-1970's film. However, Nolan just knocks it out of the park every time and is in his prime.
    15 - Sergio Leone

#27 Xerobull, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Xero,

You need to make your picks for the west regional. Can't wait to see who you pick and your comments.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. droxford

droxford Member

A couple of these were very difficult choices to make... such as:
    Coppola vs. Reiner
    Nolan vs. Leone

For those, we had to choose between directors with fewer hit movies, but the ones they made were legendary, and another director who has made lots of great films, but not as many legendary films. I ended up choosing the legend directors, though Reiner and Nolan are both excellent and have made great movies.

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock
    8 - Wes Anderson
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow
    4 - Sam Mendes
    6 - Adrian Lyne
    3 - Cameron Crowe
    7 - Oliver Stone
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese
    8 - Robert Zemeckis
    5 - Pedro Almodovar
    4 - Brian DePalma
    6 - David Lynch
    3 - 14 Mel Brooks
    7 - Guillermo del Toro
    2 - Sergio Leone

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sorry! Thanks for the reminder. Super busy!

1 - Alfred Hitchcock - Hitchock, easily.
    16 - Ida Lupino
    8 - Wes Anderson - Anderson, every one of his movies is a delight. And he's from H-Town.
    9 - Woody Allen
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow - Bigelow by a nose. Point Break, Hurt Locker and Near Dark are all amazing classics. Quality over quantity here.
    12 - Billy Wilder
    4 - John Ford - I'm not familiar with John Ford's work but he gets it here for being such a staple at the Academy Awards with four wins and tons of nominations. Sam Mendes may get there eventually but he's got a long row to hoe.
    13 - Sam Mendes
    6 - Michael Mann - I'll go with Mann on this one. Both have a really short list of films and I consider Mann's superior.
    11 - Adrian Lyne
    3 - Alejandro González Iñárritu - Alex here. Cameron Crowe is Americana, and made some decent movies as a director, but Alex makes better films.
    14 - Cameron Crowe
    7 - Oliver Stone - I haven't seen any of Fellini's films, but based on accolades, I'll give it to Stone.
    10 - Federico Fellini
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola - Tough one, but it goes to Coppola.
    15 - Rob Reiner

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's Cameron because of Aliens but 2nd is Verhoeven because I like a bit of bonkers and Robocop and Starship Troopers hit that spot.

But all 3 are great directors, Cameron would be 3rd if not for Aliens in my book.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Gotta respect Total Recall though, that's such a great movie.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. matpio

matpio Member

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock vs 16 Ida Lupino - I've never seen a movie from Lupino, but Hitchcock is a phenomenal director.
    8 - Wes Anderson vs. 9 Woody Allen - close call but I prefer Wes Anderson movies.
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow vs 12 Billy Wilder - I don't understand how Billy Wilder can be so low in the ranking. His work includes some of the most accessible older movies, and several of them are masterpieces. I love Kathryn Bigelow's movies but it's not even close.
    4 - John Ford vs 13 Sam Mendes - I love Sam Mendes, and I think 1917 is a masterpiece, but John Ford easily takes this one.
    6 - Michael Mann vs. 11 Adrian Lyne - I had to google who Adrian Lyne was, so that was an easy choice.
    3 - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu vs. 14 Cameron Crowe - Inarritu is one of my favorite directors, a pretty easy choice.
    7 - Oliver Stone vs 10 Federico Fellini - I don't really care for Oliver Stone (although Platoon is awesome) so I would give this one to Fellini. Much more influential than Oliver Stone too.
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola vs 15 Rob Reiner - I'm not even sure I need to explain this one, not even close.

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese vs 16 King Vidor - I don't know enough about King Vidor to fully judge his filmography, but Scorcese is one of the best directors ever.
    8 - Robert Zemeckis vs 9 John Carpenter - maybe the most difficult choice so far, I actually went back and forth before settling on my choice. The Thing is one of my favorite movies, but the Back to the Future movies are the definition of entertaining movies. Very close edge to Zemeckis.
    5 - Pedro Almodovar vs 12 Sergei Eisenstein - Another tough choice.
    4 - Brian DePalma vs 13 William Wyler - I think De Palma is a bit overrated, although Carrie and Carlito's Way are great movies. Wyler takes this one.
    6 - David Lynch vs 11 Milos Forman - I give a slight edge to David Lynch.
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson vs 14 Mel Brooks - I have tried to like Mel Brooks movies, but they just don't click with me. PTA hands down.
    7 - Darren Aronofsky vs 10 Guillermo del Toro - Both great movie directors, but I prefer Del Toro's movies.
    2 - Christopher Nolan vs 15 Sergio Leone - not sure why Leone is so low on the list. I would have Sergio Leone winning over a lot of my winning directors above. But in a match vs. Nolan, I have to take Nolan.

14. Manny Ramirez

Update - here are where things stand:

Hitchcock 16-0
    Wes Anderson 12-4
    Bigelow 8-7
    Ford 12-4
    Mann 13-2
    Alejandro 9-7 (it's close)
    Stone 11-5
    Coppola 14-2

Scorsese 16-0
    Carpenter 9-6 (it's close)
    Pedro 9-2
    DePalma 10-4
    Tie at 8-8 between Lynch and Forman (!)
    Brooks 9-7 (another close one)
    GDT 9-7 (yet another close one)
    Nolan 9-6

Voting for this part will end at noon so please get your votes in if you haven't already - quite a few matchups are up in the air!

Xerobull likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really like TR but I love Robo Cop and Starship.

I just love the camp of Starship and Robo Cop.

16. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock vs 16 Ida Lupino
    8 - Wes Anderson vs. 9 Woody Allen
    5 - Kathryn Bigelow vs 12 Billy Wilder
    4 - John Ford vs 13 Sam Mendes
    6 - Michael Mann vs. 11 Adrian Lyne
    3 - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu vs. 14 Cameron Crowe
    7 - Oliver Stone vs 10 Federico Fellini
    2 - Francis Ford Coppola vs 15 Rob Reiner

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese vs 16 King Vidor
    8 - Robert Zemeckis vs 9 John Carpenter
    5 - Pedro Almodovar vs 12 Sergei Eisenstein
    4 - Brian DePalma vs 13 William Wyler
    6 - David Lynch vs 11 Milos Forman
    3 - Paul Thomas Anderson vs 14 Mel Brooks
    7 - Darren Aronofsky vs 10 Guillermo del Toro
    2 - Christopher Nolan vs 15 Sergio Leone

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Please read my disclaimer in my first post of this series if you are offended by my ignorance.

West Regional
    1 - Alfred Hitchcock vs 16 Ida Lupino-- Alfred Hitchcock, this dude is an icon and I don't think I've seen anything from Ida

8 - Wes Anderson vs. 9 Woody Allen-- Despite my love for What's Up Tigerlily, It is Wes Anderson for me

5 - Kathryn Bigelow vs 12 Billy Wilder-- Kathryn Bigelow, I don't think i have seen anything from Billy Wilder

4 - John Ford vs 13 Sam Mendes-- Sam Mendes, he has a few that are straight classics

6 - Michael Mann vs. 11 Adrian Lyne-- Michael Mann easy, Jacobs Ladder was a trip but not enough in the catalog

3 - Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu vs. 14 Cameron Crowe-- This one was tough, had to go Alejandro G. Inarritu even though Cameron Crowe has the single better movie in my opinion

7 - Oliver Stone vs 10 Federico Fellini-- Oliver Stone, another easy one for me

2 - Francis Ford Coppola vs 15 Rob Reiner-- Francis Ford Coppola on the strength of the Outsiders and the Cotton Club

Southeast Regional
    1 - Martin Scorsese vs 16 King Vidor-- Martin Scorsese, pretty sure I never even heard of King Vidor

8 - Robert Zemeckis vs 9 John Carpenter-- What a matchup, but I'm going with Robert Zemeckis

5 - Pedro Almodovar vs 12 Sergei Eisenstein-- Sorry I have no opinion here

4 - Brian DePalma vs 13 William Wyler-- Brian De Palma in a landslide

6 - David Lynch vs 11 Milos Forman-- Milos Forman, this surprised me too

3 - Paul Thomas Anderson vs 14 Mel Brooks-- Another one that surprised me but Mel Brooks with Spaceballs and History of the World Part I
    7 - Darren Aronofsky vs 10 Guillermo del Toro-- Darren Aronofsky, pretty close but I think the range gives the slight edge

2 - Christopher Nolan vs 15 Sergio Leone-- Christopher Nolan, good fight by Sergio but not enough ammunition

18. Manny Ramirez

Voting has now ended and the winners are:

Alfred Hitchcock
    Wes Anderson
    Kathryn Bigelow
    John Ford
    Michael Mann
    Alejandro Gonzalez inarritu
    Oliver Stone
    Francis Ford Coppola

Martin Scorsese
    John Carpenter
    Pedro Almodovar
    Brian DePalma
    Milos Forman
    Mel Brooks
    Guillermo del Toro
    Christopher Nolan

matpio, FrontRunner and K mf G like this.
  19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm blown away that Aronofsky didn't make it past round 1.

20. Manny Ramirez

I hear ya - I was really surprised by that one as well. Darren deserved a better fate than what he got.