1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

The effort has improved recently and the skill level is not that atrocious. I just don’t like how we look when he plays.

I’m just a fan, so I don’t have the eye to follow all the basketball "little things”, the body movements, the positional awareness, back screens, box outs, etc. But I know basketball people pay a lot of attention on these and they are very important.

JG seems to be the opposite of the Chuck Hayes/Hartenstein types. Lots of talent, toxic for team flow.
    Hartenstein for example has a BPM score of +4?! Insane for a total klutz. JG is at -5…

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I think Green does well is that he's not a ball hog, and at least tries to play within the flow of the offense. The problem is that he seems to find it difficult to adjust to an offense in which he's not the featured player. I think he needs to improve his awareness on when to cut, when to drive, etc.

But on the other hand, I do think he's starting to figure some things out, and like you said, the effort has definitely improved. I really don't like seeing how he and Christian Wood fit together. I think Wood is the real flow-killer on our squad. But he's probably gone soon, and I think all our youngsters will be better for it.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  3. dawesome

dawesome Member

Your explanation makes a lot of sense..

Mathloom likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green really wasn’t playing any basketball until high school? That’s not cap?

D-rock, GotGame15 and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The plot thickens, nice read.

Rocketeer, dawesome and Mathloom like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

I believe he's been playing organized basketball since the third grade, but football was his main sport up until the seventh grade. He then took his eighth grade year off to train and better prepare himself for high school ball. Something about not wanting to pick up bad habits while he focused on his game. Here's baby JG at bball camp w/ the Goat.
    [​IMG]

D-rock, cheke64, GotGame15 and 5 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not that familiar with football but with his slim body he could only play as a runner.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

….another game with single digit shots taken. This franchise is a joke to not scream for this kid to shoot the ball.

I don’t care if we lose every game from here on out - but he’s got to be using this year to develop - experiment and see what he has, try what works. This timidness to shoot is coaching malpractice.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

I'm not sure how much Silas is in control of shot distribution, TBH. I think simply other players were more assertive last night.

D-rock and GotGame15 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When Green and KPJ both came back from injury, Kevin would take the most shots or 2nd most shots on the team other than the last game or two.

Otherwise going with the hot hand every night.

They are most likely leaning towards Kevin Porter right now.

11. csc177

csc177 Member

JG playing behind "so many vets"? Like who? The only PROVEN vet in this league is EG. JG's role should be to score, he was drafted number 2 to do just that. He's quick enough to score on anyone (north and south like you mentioned) even if his shot isnt falling. My main issue is the coaching staff...and the fact that they're not creating opportunities for him to be successful and encourage him to shoot the damn ball, regardless of the outcome. Taking 7, 8 shots a game aint cutting it. Allowing your "what you hope to be franchise star" to defer to Wood and or KPJ is coaching malpractice.

D-rock likes this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

A coach has a lot of say in shot distribution. It should be encouraged privately and publicly that your number 2 pick should shoot more than 7 or 8 times on a nightly basis. Silas is as clueless as people said he was and this is coming from someone who rooted for him early on.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, this is just wrong on so many levels - a player should EARN their time on the court, if he is sucking it up, he should go to the bench and earn his way back in practice.

I don't care where you are picked if you aren't good enough to beat someone out, you don't deserve to play.

Let's try accountability as an option......pressure makes diamonds.

DD

D-rock and CXbby like this.
  14. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'd see your point if we weren't 25 games under .500. The only positives we can take away from this season is if we land a top 3 pick and see some good flashes from our young guys that can carry over into next season.

Eric Gordon has earned his place in this rotation after numerous deep playoff runs. Do you think he should be getting more playing time and reps than our #2 pick? On this team?

If Jalen is going to be a net negative for a couple of seasons before we see him blossom into what we had hoped he would be by now, gluing him to the bench to instill some Coach Carter-like discipline is only going to stunt his growth, not streamline it. We selected him #2 in a draft so stacked with talent that we only see it once every 20 years. That alone affords him certain privileges.

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. DaDakota

If Jalen can't contribute he should be in the G league developing.

DD

GotGame15 likes this.
  16. jacoby

jacoby Member

Who is so important on this roster that they should take most or all of Green's minutes? He was in the G League all of last year developing. Why are you allergic to him getting his reps up against NBA level competition? Were you not prepared for the possibility that he may not be great right off the bat?

harold bingo and JayGoogle like this.
  17. DaDakota

What does that even mean? Who is important? The BEST PLAYERS - the ones that are COMPETING night in and night out.

If you are not good enough to be one of those players, then get to work and become one of them......Kobe didn't start at 19......

Jalen doesn't deserve the minutes he is getting he probably should be about half of the minutes...as a backup - until he learns how to play ball in the NBA and deserves to start.

And when Gordon is traded, he moves up, if he is better than what is currently in that spot.

Coddling him and playing him and having no consequences for crap defense, poor shooting, and stationary offense - will only lead to bad habits......

Sports are a meritocracy - no gifts.....get to work.

DD

CXbby likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kobe came into the NBA a full year younger than Jalen did because of the rules. When he was 19 he was playing the same amount of minutes.

Jalen does deserve the minutes, he worked hard to be the #2 pick in the NBA draft.

One thing that's always funny to me is the underdog mentality people have. I remember watching Duke play some small school for the big dance and someone saying they wanted the underdog to win because "They worked so hard to bet here!" Sure, they did...but all those players on duke worked hard to gain scholarships to Duke.

Green worked hard to make it to the NBA and get #2 pick. He's going to be afforded more time to fail than someone picked 57th in the draft. That's how it works. He gets the benefit of the doubt and no one magically gets better just watching on the bench.

D-rock and jacoby like this.
  19. jacoby

jacoby Member

Green is like the worst player in the league at the moment based on advanced metrics. By your standard then, any player in the league should be ahead of him in the rotation. I bet if James Ennis were still on the team you'd think he should be playing over Jalen.

Our team is awful, our record is awful. It's okay if our 19 year olds stink. They were drafted to be the pieces that will help steer our team back in the right direction. And you want to throw our #2 pick back in the GLeague, right back to where we drafted him from in the first place. As bad as our coaching staff has been this season, I'm so thankful they don't share the same opinions as you.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    He was discovered in a nail salon outside the G league bubble - he had never played any ball-based sport until then. Strictly trampoline.

vator, JayGoogle, Reeko and 1 other person like this.