1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Beat you to it!

Great minds.

Jesus and Easterby, I mean.

No Worries likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Easterby and McCown will turn NRG into a church. Their dream is 60k fans showing up for Sunday service and then the football game is a bonus. Think of the football game as the "half-time" show. Church at NRG starts at 8 AM, 12 PM is break time, 3.5 hours football game, and after the game wraps up, more church and everyone goes home by 7PM so they can enjoy time with their families.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lmao

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All i have to say is if Watson is as bad as folks claims him to b, if you are truly a person of high moral beliefs u would have cut his ass from the team instead of paying him

Folks that spin that the Texans are punishing him by sitting him out is delusional as fk.

Goes to show why i have a disdain for folks who like to mix religion and business, makes hypocrites out of them.

I don't care who we hire as HC, as long as we don't grab McCown. Especially after interviewing Flores.

No amount of BS PR spin u can justify hiring someone with literally no NFL coaching experience over Flores.

Maybe wait another season or two when it dies down and u can grab McCown later.

#1345 DatRocketFan, Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And he could change field goals into touchdowns

7. raining threes

There must be something to it since he hasn't gotten a HC job after all of these years and many African American coaches have been hired since EB became a serious candidate 5-7 years ago. The fact that a man of his own race (Since you seem to look at everything through the prism of race) who worked with EB for years wouldn't even interview EB should speak volumes. But it wont. Remember teams do thorough background checks on potential hires.

This isn't about race, if the guys you listed were hired I would think the same thing, that something came up in their background checks that made them unhireable. But hey, get back to me when Amendola/McCown/Easterby have these kinds of accusations leveled against them. BTW, I would add (Not that I need too) I would hire Lovie (Proven NFL winner) or Pep (Continuity) over McCown.

ROXRAN likes this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those that are convinced that Easterby is running the show: if the hire ends up being Gannon or Flores and not McCown, will you admit that Caserio is actually the one in charge and Easterby, however much unearned influence he may have on things, is not the one making the decisions?

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You know they won’t

raining threes likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

EB was a running backs coach until 2017. He really didn't become a serious candidate until after 2019 (he was an OC for 2 years at that point) and since then, David Culley is the only black head coach to be hired and that wasn't even a serious hire.

#1350 Major, Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don’t even think Caserio would waste time interviewing McCown if he didn’t see something he liked. It’s not that different from Morey hiring Kevin McHale which no one could ever understand. I think it has to do with intangibles/leadership traits along with being able to have more control over the staff (like Morey wanting Finch on staff which most coaches probably wouldn’t have agreed to). I believe Cal is probably a hands off owner and wants Caserio to handle everything. No one knows what Easterby actually does and I don’t see Caserio leaving his legacy up to Easterby.

12. Major

Major Member

Poles was hired on Jan 25th. Eberflus was hired on Jan 27th. Here are HC interview dates for the Bears:

Pederson - Jan 12
    Hackett - Jan 15
    Flores - Jan 15
    Caldwell - Jan 15
    Daboll - Jan 16
    Eberflus - Jan 17
    Frazier - Jan 21
    Leftwich - Jan 20
    Bowles - Jan 22

You can do the math on how involved Poles likely was in the HC hiring process. I don't know how much it really tells us one way or another.

On a side note, Caserio didn't interview McDaniels either. Does that mean one of them doesn't think highly of the other?

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Who the fk says Easterbunny has complete control? What irks folks like me is how he is even involved in any business discussion whatsoever.
    Man is a religious charlatan who has no business whatsoever. HE should stick to preaching or whatever the fk he does at church and stay the fk away from the field. That pic of him being in culley face during a game speaks volume of how much power the easterbunny has

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No. Just that he lost this round. If that were the case, then maybe Caserio made a better case to Tommy Boy...at least one simple enough for him to comprehend while he plays video games sitting on the floor.

15. a time to chill

I can assure you there's zero chance Flores will be the hire. If it's Gannon, that's still not enough to believe the Texans when they say these are all Caserio's decisions. Easterby would like everyone to believe this so that when things go bad he can stab Caserio in the back like he did O'Brien. Easterby got Caserio hired and then Caserio hired Culley after "receiving input" from Easterby. When Culley got fired, Easterby and Caserio mutually agreed to do this and Cal McNair signed off on it. Easterby doesn't answer to Caserio. He only answers to Cal McNair who loves him. Easterby has his fingerprints all over these baffling decisions. The fact that McCown has made it this far in the interview process should be enough proof of the influence Easterby has.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The so-called intangibles and leadership traits of McHale were an abject failure in Houston, but at least he had previous coaching and front office experience. Hiring McCown on the heels of Culley means that Caserio wants the kind of coaching/GM control that Belichick has in New England. I don't think this is a good idea. We have already had a coach who wanted to run the front office and we are still dealing with the fallout of that disaster. Whatever leadership qualities McCown has will be really challenged when he tries to win the locker room over with one of the least impressive resumes in NFL history (outside of Jack Easterby's).

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

What are the Texans waiting on? Just make the announcement. Lol

18. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I can't wait to tell my dad who is out of the country and a bit disconnected from US sports that the Texans hired a new coach. He will immediately ask where he coached before and I get to say, "At the YMCA," and then explain how he has never coached football at the amateur or professional level at all.

Fulgore likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If its mccown, maybe they are trying to wait for Flores sht to blow over or at least die down before making an announcement.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Given that the Texans' last coach was an African American, they likely aren't feeling pressure to go back-to-back with African American coaches. They've done their part. They should go with the best possible coach instead -- regardless of whatever race they may be.

A common mistake that people make is to think that since 70% of players are black, then a high % of coaches should be black. That's just silly, as the skills sets are very different. A great example is Pacman Jones. Great player, but would you want him as a coach?

GOOD DAY