1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LA gets toughest possible draw...YES

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Apr 18, 2001.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LA will have to go through Portland, Sacramento, and San Antonio -- the 3 toughest teams in the league -- in order to have any shot at repeating. No cakewalks like Phoenix in the 2nd round like last year. I'm pretty happy about it. If they still make it all the way, I'll...I'll...I'll just hate it.

------------------
    "It's like saying there isn't enough offense in football, so let's go to three downs." --Rudy T on zone defenses in the NBA

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

What an awesome, awesome matchup. You either get to see an $80,000,000.00+ team blow up in the first round (which hosts Pippen) or you get to see the returning champs bow out in the first.

Awesome. The matchup couldn't have been any better.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hate the Blazers [​IMG]

Seeing Rasheed and Sabonis fight makes me more happier than a Pip squeak turnover [​IMG]

Anyways, GO LAKERS!!!! (in the first round).

------------------

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well, I will always hate Portland more then LA as long as that gold digging, backstabbing, overrated SF Scottie Pippen is there. That being said, you can kiss Portland good bye. Without Bonzi Wells, and with an aging Steve Smith they are hardpressed to beat LA. Even at 100% they couldn't beat LA. LA has Sacramento's number. As for Phoenix in the 2nd round, if they run into LA they will get blown off the court. But the fun stops with San Antonio. I say the Spurs over the Lakers in the conference finals in 6 or 7 games. GO LA in the first round, send the Blazers packing!

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I want the Blazers to win it all simply because I think Arvydas deserves it. I don't think Scottie needs another ring, but it would be nice to see the greatest European player ever get a ring.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

Protrolls.com!

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

why couldn't they both lose in the first round ? I'm greedy. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

7. KGPD21

KGPD21 Member

hey ZRB, although I agree with you that portland should win, I don't think it's cause Arvydas deserves it. He might just be the greatest European player. But he hasn't had that big an impact on the NBA. He doesn't neccisarily deserve it because what he did was for europe not the NBA.

8. RocketsFanFromLa

What are you talking about? The Clippers are not in the playoffs. Oh wait--you mean the other LA team. What are there name......the Kobes, no wait, the Shaqs, oh yeah, the Lakers. Oh well, they won't repeat.

------------------

Really a member since
    March 1999.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the injuries got to Arvydas just as he entered the NBA. He is still a basketball genius, and deserves a title.

------------------
    Turn Lives

Protrolls.com!

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited April 19, 2001).]

10. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

and I really think the Lakers deserve an asterick around their championship anyway...remember that Duncan was injured and lost to Phoenix. If Duncan is healthy, they beat Phoenix...and probably go on to beat LA in the 2nd round. Remember that every time LA played the Spurs, Duncan went off on them and they swept the Lakers repeatedly every time they met. You talk about a team that needs an asterick, the Lakers should have one...but no one ever mentions it.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

11. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

My exact thoughts.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guys I hope the asterick thing is in jest...just remember how it ruffles our feathers when others say both of our championships deserves an * because MJ was gone.
    A championship is a championship.

13. RocksMillenium

If you want to say that gettinbranded, then I could say that the Bulls wouldn't have won a title with the Celtics or Showtime Lakers of the 80s in their prime, or Detroit in their prime. Basically you're saying the Bulls were unbeatable, and if you think that you're delusional. They have 6 rings, but they were beatable. The Rockets wouldn't have gotten their rings if they had to play MJ, what's to say MJ wouldn't have less ring if Dream and the Rockets hadn't gotten to the Finals? So enjoy your rings, and mediocrity. . .

------------------

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Somebody needs to remind gettinbranded the Rocks owned the Bulls during MJ's regular seasons. The Bulls had NO answer for the Dream. The Rocks just couldn't get out of the West and into the finals.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited April 19, 2001).]

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

MICHAEL DID PLAY ! he got beat by Shaq, where were you in 95 branded?

------------------
    right on

16. RocksMillenium

I hate when people say you have to put an asterick next to a title. A championship is a championship, you had to beat somebody to get it. And if you want to put an asterick next to LA's title, you have to put it next to the Spurs for winning in the lockout year. Needless to say, I think that both championships are legitimate and do not deserve astericks. That's like saying, put an asterick next to the 76ers '83 championship team because Magic was out. If you win, you win. Injuries are a part of the game.

------------------

17. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

But it's still a championship you wouldn't have had if Michael had played...

------------------

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Most of all, we didn't get to play the 99 Bulls, 2000 Bulls, or the 2001 Bulls...

Thank God for that!

Is it just me or does Chicago sports blow?

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree, TheFreak. I think that the Mavs are going to be a tougher team to beat than the damn Trailblazers. The Blazers will self destruct just like they always do, while the Mavs seem to really be clicking lately, and if the are on, you cannot stop them offensively.

Can you imagine, the fourth option offensively on this team is Juwan Howard!!! If the Jazz somehow managed to win the championship this year (GOD FORBID), then I think they will have gone through the toughest schedule.

------------------
    President of the Anal Retentive School for Jerks

Hey, I wanted to be president of something, and I swear everyone took every other presidential position already.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

asterisk

------------------