1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Ryan Hollins as commentator so far?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Exactly

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

He's gotten better. Definitely better than I expected.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Yeah, he reps them hard. Too bad it’s UCLA and not USC. We back but that’s another topic…

At first, I didn’t see how it worked but it just takes time for the two to mesh. Honestly HATED him on First Take but I’ve grown to enjoy hearing him on the broadcast. I like his “oh no you didn’t! Oh no you didn’t!… Craig, do your thing Craig! I see you!”

Its kind of funny and it’s becoming a unique thing to him. Glad he’s on the Rockets team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN

Still think he's the best person to fill this job in memory.

Remember, the Rockets related hires for this spot since Calvin, to my recollection were Van Chancellor, Clyde Drexler and Matt Bullard. And they were all terrible. Ryan Hollins sounds like a pro to me. I don't get why you guys are so hard on him. I'd much rather somebody with no connection to the Rockets than an ex-Rocket that sucks at it.

ElPigto, crose and Rockets FTW like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Okkkkai. I hear y'all.

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hollins has been great compared to the stale mediocrity we had all gotten used to.

Der Rabbi, Y2JT and Williamson like this.
  7. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Says "My Goodness" wayyyy too many times...pretty annoying

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

Everything Hollins does i figure is covered by Calvin... we got the loud shouts and outrageous reactions guy already...

Bull was the best color guy I've seen and don't get what the issue was... i feel Hollins basketball iq is a fraction of bullard...

Like going from Tony Romo or Peyton to Chris Berman and stephen a....

Rashmon likes this.
  9. Williamson

This is an interesting take to me because I see it the other way around. And I HATED Bull's sense of humor so much. I'll forever love him for his role on the championship Rockets, but I was thrilled they moved him into the front office so that I didn't have to listen to him anymore. I felt pretty confident that whoever they hired would be vastly superior at the job and I haven't been disappointed.

Y2JT and hakeem94 like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I mute the sound for most of the games but he’s been fine for the times I’ve listened.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. Hiring someone without a historical connection to the team was a mistake. Would love to hear him talk about his days with the Rockets...

Instead, we hear about how he played for the team we are playing, while we play them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He’s grown on me and I like the way he breaks down the game but agreed there is no local connection. He’s not bad, but this never should have happened in the first place. You can’t find one rockets guys who can provide the color…in the entire history of the franchise? Bull wasn’t all that good but at least he was a rocket!

hakeem94 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

He’s not bad, I just think he’s a little too enthusiastic with his tone and comments. I enjoy Craig’s play by play and sometimes that gets lost when Hollins is still talking about the previous play.

ilovehtownbb and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Williamson

But you're severely limiting the pool of candidates if you restrict it to former Rockets. I would agree that if a former Rocket emerges as the most qualified candidate, it's a no brainer that they should get the job over somebody with no history with the team. But I'd much rather have a pro with no connections to the team than another amateur with stories.

Dr of Dunk, Y2JT and hakeem94 like this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He doesn’t understand banter. It’s so awkward when Craig sets him up and he always completely drops the ball. I usually agree with what he says about basketball, but it’s an awkward experience overall and I feel bad for Craig. I genuinely hope he is replaced after this year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's growing on me, Craig is kinda annoying. Bill Worrell had something soothing about his voice and Craig has the type of voice that gets your attention, in a bad way.
    How dare you! The little Nicko stories were LEGENDARY.

dc rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hear you and agree to some extent, but he should immerse himself in our history in order to reference it within games.

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

He's not "polished" but that comes with experience. I'd still much rather listen to him than Worrell, Bullard or Calvin. What he lacks in Houston background, he makes up for with energy and a decent understanding of the league. Worrell and Calvin are too old (and both have lost their likability) and Bullard never had a ton of personality.

19. JW86

JW86 Member

What an awful hire, he was okay when he was adjusting, now he’s gone full mental! Rockets went for the name, shows Tilman really doesn’t understand what fans want. Putting his picture everywhere is what he cares about.

20. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Agree, I think he's gotten much better. I remember the first preseason game where he was giggling at everything, trying to do too much. Now, I think he's reasonably insightful, pretty balanced but still excited for the home team, working well with craig. I don't mind him at all now

ilovehtownbb and Believe It! like this.