1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas and Coaching Staff Untouchable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I honestly don’t understand how any of these guys are still employed by “tough guy” Fertitta. 20 game losing streak last year and 13 games and counting this year. Getting waxed by Memphis and soundly beat by OKC is disturbing. Starting House and playing Sengun for five minutes is even more disturbing. If this isn’t enough to rid this team of the full staff then what is???

2. juanming

juanming Member

Well I have a theory what if it's not silas but instead John Lucas that they don't want to get rid of because kpj will fall off the cliff without his therapist on the sidelines

I do wonder if Jeff Van Gundy came in would he have his own coaching staff and not John Lucas so maybe that's why nobody's getting fired

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

What will it take ? For the staff to be closer to the end of their contracts

chadyang, tmoney1101, opticon and 4 others like this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I hate to say this but we are the worst team in the NBA.. Coaching is half the problem. I do not believe OKC have more talent than us but his OKC's Coach is a defense genius.

5. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

I've seen this HOU > OKC talent comparison a number of times... what part of our talent compares with theirs? Nobody on this team is as good as SGA and Dort are today.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The pros and cons of canning Silas right now for me:

Pro:
    -We would most likely see less of head scratching rotations and starting lineups
    -We would most likely get someone promoted into the HC that has ran some semblance of an offense in their lifetime (Horny or Weaver)
    -We don't have to pretend that this coach/team marriage is working any longer

Cons:
    -We'll still be a bad team though that's not 100% on the coach. But I'd venture some on here would have expectations of "if we fire Silas we'd win more!".
    -We wouldn't have great replacement options in line. Weaver has zero NBA head coaching experience, Hornacek put together a decent team in Phoenix when he had Bledsoe and Dragic but not much outside of that, and Diop...lol. Lucas...most of this board defaults to John as the interim HC if Silas gets canned and I don't know why. Sure he's had HC experience but that was over, what, 15-20 years ago? His record isn't stellar outside of having Prime David Robinson. I don't know if he has enough Xs and Os expertise (which is what this group really needs right now) to say that he would be a definite step up from Silas.
    -You're only replacing one part of the issue (HC) and not the entire issue (entire coaching staff). Bad habits (e.g. "Kid Gloves" treatment) will still occur. If I were to fire Silas I'd do it at the end of the season where I fire everyone and start over from scratch

In all honesty it doesn't even have to get to this point because Silas himself can make the necessary adjustments to move the needle of perception from totally incompetent to "He's been dealt with a bad hand but is making the right moves" department.

1. Stop F***ing around with Sengun's minutes. If Silas can't see how good Sengun is relative to the rest of the roster then there's absolutely NO reason to keep him after the season.
    2. Make Theis ride the pine. If Theis "deserved" more playing time last night because he was doing well maybe it's because he didn't start? Maybe you keep him on the bench and start someone else? On that note...
    3. Bury House at the end of the bench. There are other players on this roster who can do more defensively (Tate), offensively (KJ) and who can hustle more (JC) that deserves his minutes. Playing House right now should be considered a criminal act.
    4. Move Green or Porter to the bench. It's time. I don't care who you pick but it's time. The team's defense has been subpar but the offense has been straight ass. It's time to put Gordon in there or, at worst, start DJ if you really really REALLY want someone that looks like a point guard to be with your starting 5.

Like those are all low hanging fruits that Silas can just grab right now and the team would at least look like they're hustling and trying harder.

7. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Our roster is far more talented from *top to bottom*. SGA, Dort, and Giddey are the only notable players they have. The rest of their team is full of nobodies and G-league level talent.

We had no business not only losing to OKC, but getting blown out the way we did majority of the game. And that was with SGA shooting 6-18. Pathetic.

8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

NO JVG will try to trade our young player for broken down veterans. No thanks. Name one young team JVG coached.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun and wood are better than anyone they have

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They all gotta go. They got too comfortable last season tanking without expectations.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

WOOD !?

I bet wood will Be out of the NBA before Gordon and nwaba and Theis

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

How do posters still not understand how cheap Tilman is? It’s amazing.

juanm34, kubli9 and groovemachine like this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

show you how broke Fertits is lol. Can't even sack the cheapest coach in the league.

juanm34 likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Don't see Silas as being the coach of a title winning type team.

My main concern is keeping Lucas on the payroll.
    I wonder if Tilly hired say Kenny Atkinson as the next head coach would Lucas stay?
    Don't wanna lose "Cool Hand Luke"!

He's one of the few coaches that the younger players respect enough to listen to and be coached hard by.
    I think this is imperative for both KPj and Jalen!

15. sheb

sheb Member

We are trying to tank. Everything is going according to plan, so why change coaches ?

Newlin likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Exactly. Who cares who the coach is at this point. When we have the players to compete, then I will worry about the coach.

astrosrule likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

They are untouchable because Tilman won't shed another penny to hire another coach while he's still paying Silas.

At the best, Tilman will just promote an "interim" head coach and it's going to still be a nightmare season but hopefully better rotations.

If anything, Stone should be at fault here for not laying down the hammer and telling Silas to start Sengun and give KJ, JC more minutes.

18. speedjames

speedjames Contributing Member

I haven't posted in forever, but I'm frustrated. I have an issue with the lack of intensity and anger from this coach. As a result, the team is not competing (other than Tate). I'm sure he's trying to be a "player's" coach, but he needs to have more fire and competitiveness. He needs to get angry and yell at players and officials when they screw up. Hold them accountable.

19. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Thank you for starting the first thread about firing Silas.

20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You could tell there is no intensity from the coach. Look at his posture and the way he uses his hands. The way he points and things and uses his hands reminds me of Mr Burns from The Simpsons. He is the type of guy who when you shake their hand its just awkward.

speedjames and AroundTheWorld like this.