1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to get rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

You’re spewing nonsense lol. Nobody’s development is on hold. Green and Sengun both play their natural positions. Green plays 32 mpg with a 23.5% usage rate. Porters minutes are the same with 24% usage rate.

tycoonchip and HP3 like this.
  2. 34to11

34to11 Member

First let's cut out the straw men. No one said his career was over.
    No need to exaggerate.

Second, the 2 and 3 have been essentially interchangeable positions for ages in the NBA, particularly in the case of Scoot and how he was used in Cleveland.
    He was a wing for the Cavs and has been a wing and a point for the Rockets. Arguing otherwise is just semantics.

Also, you say "regardless of circumstances..." but it seems disingenuous to dismiss the circumstances of Porter's situation and what led to his depressed game count while at the same time using that game count in his defense.
    His fate was wrought by his own hands and honestly those behaviors remain a bit of a concern today.

Furthermore, although he may not have three seasons worth of games played he DOES have three season in the NBA. That counts towards the level of expectations as well.

Like I said, the are always exceptions. Hell, technically Marquese Chriss could still put it all together and become an all league power forward and Kris Dunn could be an All-Star just waiting on the right situation. But what are the odds?
    Again, year three is the standard for a reason.

Dobbizzle, amaru, vator and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I don’t know exactly how you suggest this team be diligent, work hard and fight our way to victories with the squad we have?

We lack talent currently and we lacked cap space to make any moves because the way our team was designed around James.

I don’t think you saying that we’re going to add “more busts” (which we don’t currently have) or the lottery isn’t the answer makes sense.

I could easily say that we’re going to add a superstar and the Warriors built the foundation for their dynasty in the lottery.

You sound like you’re just fed up with losing since we had a great run of success and I get that.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its only nonsense to people who dont understand whats going on. Yeah sure he gets the ball but thats not all they need to do with Green. Instead they are more focused on KPJ. The entire team right now is built on developing KPJ. Im sorry that you cant see that.

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Denovo

Denovo Member

The literal name of the thread is “We have to get rid of KPJ” . You don’t have to gaslight lol.

SF, Combo Guard and Point Guard are not the same position or role. To state otherwise shows a lack of basic basketball knowledge on your end.

Porter openly admitted himself he struggled with his mental health last year. Mental health isn’t something you can always control especially during a pandemic. He’s made progress in that area according to himself, Lucas and Silas.

Khris Dunn is 27. Marquess Chris’s is 24 and has been in the league 6 years. Poor examples

Porter is 21 my guy and his 3rd season just started. Expectations should be that he’s makes a marked improvement by allstar break. If we’re talking about odds it’s unlike he plays this poorly for a full season, same with Green.

If Porter was 24 my views on this would be different

#485 Denovo, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  6. kyle7758521

kyle7758521 Member

We Are Tanking, which means we are developing a team for near future, not focusing on winning.
    Aren't you aware of that? What is your expectation?

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

My expectation is for silas to be fired, wall to continue to be permabenched, thats my championship for this year.

8. Denovo

Denovo Member

My fault.. you work in the front office now?

You’re assuming what’s going on. You don’t know **** lol.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ts-classes-john-lucas-university?platform=amp

"I'm being told all the time, 'Coach, you can't be too hard on [Green],'" Lucas says later. "I'm talking about, 'I'm not hard enough,' because I see the potential. Everybody has a different way of loving somebody.

"My love for him is not praising his ass, but to keep a foot in it."

It's an approach that Green, one of four teenage rookies drafted by the Rockets in the first round, appreciates.

"He's an old-school coach," Green says. "A lot of s--- talking. He's real old-school, like a real OG."

“Houston is particularly steadfast in its plan to allow Green and Porter to spread their wings without fear of consequences if they make poor decisions.”

HP3 likes this.
  9. VoR

VoR Member

The problem is that we are trying to play him as a PG when he's a natural SG. I think there is still potential there, but everyone needs to remember that these guys won't peak for another 4 years.

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im not sure what you think this proves YOU HAVENT POSTED ANYTHING THAT I HAVENT ALREADY SEEN OR READ. This article was posted here days ago lol Let me be clear on this and please save this post. PLAYING KPJ AT POINT GUARD IS A MISTAKE. Also im not refferring to practice and I already said they need to focus on Green more than just giving him the ball and tellin him to go shoot lol Some people dont get things till they happen sometimes even then they still go into denial so theres no point. I guess I will agree to disagree.

11. Denovo

Denovo Member

I already agreed about Porter not being a point guard multiple times.

Good job back tracking. You said Porter is hindering the growth of other players because the focus is solely on him. Article says otherwise.

Green is clearly being developed as well. Nobody’s development is being “put on hold” like you stated earlier.

HP3 likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Porter is hurting our REBUILD because he is regressing as a NBA player, Scoring is down from last year, below average in FG%, 3's% and FT%. We keep handling him with "KID GLOVES" but this is his 3rd year. He is not getting better and i do not care if he changed position. If he miss a shot, his head drops and he forget to play defense. If he does not get a foul, he yells at the ref, drop his head and forget to play defense. If he make a big shot , he start celebrating and forget to play defense. He is not a PG and he is hurting our rebuild, just play Point Forward and go from there. But changing position, should not hurt his FG%? 3's%, FT% and points per game. I have not saying anything about his turnovers. This is his 3rd year and he has to improve, please anyone tell me what he has improved from last year. People just want him to play PG because he is 6'6? When the trade deadline approaches we need to look for a young PG and a BIG MAN. This draft has only 5-7 good players nothing like last year draft.

robbie380, cheke64, Dopamine and 3 others like this.
  13. 34to11

34to11 Member

You're still talking about combo guards and small forwards in the era of positionless basketball and you question my basketball knowledge???
    Just admit you didn't watch him play in Cleveland.

And wait, didn't you use Kyle Lowry as your example???
    So How are Dunn and Chiss poor examples in comparison?

And are you really trying to inject the pandemic into this discussion? You seem to be grasping now.
    The fact that your position requires this amount of mental gymnastics should tell you something. It's always gonna be a tough sell when exceptions and anomalies are your best examples.

Deny it as much as you wish but this is a crucial year for KPJ and clearly the Rockets believe so too. They've committed to exhausting all opportunities for Scoot to show his potential.
    The rest is on him, excuses be damned.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im still saying what ive been saying i havent changed anything lol He's hindering it because he's playing point guard. They are hindering others development because they are focusing on him at the point. Like I said you dont get it and thats ok. Im done putting so much energy into this org so im not going to be arguing and fighting trying to prove everything. Have your wrong opinion.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

People trying to prop one of these guys up by eviscerating the other looks foolish at this point. Kind of seems like having food poisoning and arguing your case for why projectile vomiting is better than explosive diarrhea.

DaDakota, Williamson and Joe Rocket like this.
  16. Denovo

Denovo Member

You heard that term on sportscenter huh? It’s a buzzword not a literal term. Position is based on skill set instead of height now in modern basketball.That’s why Danuel Theis is not our starting point guard and House not our center. Also we whyPj Tucker can play center and Jokic can run point. Positions still exist. Players are just evaluated differently and more openly instead of height alone.

&& that’s a piss poor analysis of my argument. We were talking about off the court issues with KP. Multiple factors went into his decline in Cleveland last season which included his poor mental health and the pandemic. We were literally discussing the circumstances behind him missing games. You just don’t like the valid points being made. Multiple players talked about how the pandemic negatively effected them. You can’t bring up his off court issues in Cleveland without including his mental state and the pandemic.

This isn’t mental gymnastics. It’s critical thinking.

&& If Porter was playing like this at 24 my stance would be different. We would be in agreeance if that was the case. In advocating for him solely because of his youth. He’s not Dunn or Chriss yet because he’s only 21 with upside not 25.

Also Being an allstar caliber player in your third season is more of an anomaly than putting a solid career later.

Lowry isn’t the only player. Wood is an example and also Tate as a 25 year old rookie. Jimmy Butler, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups all struggled their first 3 seasons. White side was late bloomer. Mo Bamba is puttin it all together in his 4th season. It took Mike Conley 14 years to make an allstar team. Do need me to look up more for you?

The door doesn’t magically close after your third year especially not 13 games into your third season.

Also don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t say it isn’t a crucial year for him. My argument is that the door is not automatically closed if he has a regression this year due to his age. No excuses are being made. He’s young and still has time to improve. That’s it.

We’ll see where he ends up in the next 2 years.

He’s still on his got damn rookie deal lol.

17. Denovo

Denovo Member

Enjoy your delusions I guess.

18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Thank god for Jalen Suggs am I right

Ahahaha this has to be the worst roster ever constructed

I thought +/- was a fake stat

#498 palmsnbananas, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bullshit you want him wrapped in tissue paper, you don't like it when someone criticizes your wubby.....

Green is a very RAW 19 year old rookie, we should have taken Mobley - but it is what it is .......now we need to hope that he figures out how to play basketball in the NBA.

He has elite athleticism - and NOTHING else.....right now.....

IMHO, that is not worth the number 2 pick but here we are..........so will root for him to grow up fast.

KPJ is further along as an NBA player.....but he is also 2 years older - lets hope they both pan out.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You know this entire post is bullshit lol You were hating on Jalen because KPJ is your favorite and you know it now ofcourse youre pretending like thats not the case. You guys are funny on here.

Dobbizzle likes this.