1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fulgore, King1 and Marteen like this.
  2. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

Nook, if you had to handicap a % on a JV return, where would you put it?

3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Pena is 42 on the fangraphs top 100

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Castillo...I think that's the play. Solves a lot of problems. Especially if the Reds will take Whitley

Nook likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros-fan choose-your-own-offseason (choose 1 from each group):

Tier 1 Free Agent: SS Carlos Correa, SS Corey Seager, SS Trevor Story, SS Marcus Semien, IF/OF Chris Taylor, OF Kris Bryant, OF Starling Marte, OF Michael Conforto, SP Justin Verlander, SP Max Scherzer, SP Kevin Gausman, SP Robbie Ray, SP Marcus Stroman, SP Eduardo Rodriguez, RP Raisel Iglesias

Tier 2 Free Agent: SS Javy Baez, OF Mark Canha, OF Tommy Pham, SP Carlos Rodon, SP Clayton Kershaw, SP Anthony DeSclafani, SP Steven Matz, SP Noah Syndergaard, SP Alex Wood, SP Alex Cobb, SP Jon Gray, RP Collin McHugh, RP Kenley Jansen, RP Andrew Chafin, RP Kendall Graveman, RP Mark Melancon, RP Corey Knebel, RP Yimi Garcia, SP/RP Michael Lorenzen, RP Brad Hand, RP Kirby Yates

Tier 1 Trade: IF/OF Ketel Marte, IF Luis Arraez, CF Byron Buxton, OF Max Kepler, SP Sandy Alcantara, SP Trevor Rogers, SP Luis Castillo, SP Chris Bassitt, SP Sean Manaea, SP German Marquez, SP Shane Bieber, SP John Means, RP Josh Hader, RP Emmanuel Clase, RP James Karinchak, RP Scott Barlow

Tier 2 Trade: C Willson Contreras, C Mike Zunino, SS Paul DeJong, SS Didi Gregorius, IF Jean Segura, IF/OF Ian Happ, OF Austin Hays, SP Merrill Kelly, SP Patrick Corbin, SP Matt Boyd, RP Taylor Rogers, RP Michael Fulmer

My first run choices would be Correa, Canha, Bieber, and Taylor Rogers.

#445 Snake Diggit, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Marte, Baez, Bieber, Contreras

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Correa
    Pham(if we traded Brantley)
    Bieber
    Contreras

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Y’all are leaving the bullpen weak, but I like it! Utterly stacked lineups, extremely strong rotation .

banzai and raining threes like this.
  9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I think Shawn Dubin could really be a factor in a high leverage role. He certainly has the stuff and I hope he makes that leap. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Javier, Maton, Presley back end… with the opportunity to upgrade at the deadline. I thought pretty hard about Hader… but that would take a haul that Idk if I’d want us to part with. Even thinking about that Gomez/Fiers trade makes me sick to my stomach. Then imagining giving up MORE to get Hader back. Smh

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. raining threes

Scherzer
    Graveman
    Beiber
    Contreras

banzai likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

That is really hard to say because I don’t know what money they are willing to offer or how Justin feels.

What I can say is the Astros made an effort to get him signed during the season, the Astros top priority is a starting pitcher and the Astros want Verlander back.

So my semi educated guess is 50-55% chance he comes back? There are so many variables to know for sure. If the Astros and Indians or Marlins make a deal, then the chances probably decrease some.

12. Nook

Nook Member

What I have heard is one of the Marlins starters, and that is not just Alcantera but they also like the other Hispanic kid in their rotation that was hurt (López?)…. One of a couple Indian starters…. Verlander, Rondon (yes serious), Gausman and I am sure a couple others I haven’t mentioned. I know before the season ended Wheeler was mentioned if a trade happened

13. raining threes

Heard the Philllies are thinking about trading Nola.

Nook likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

Gausman, Graveman, Bieber, DeJong

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Pablo Lopez is probably who you're thinking of from Miami.

Is Aaron Civale one of the Indians starters? Brought him up a few weeks ago as a guy I think has untapped potential. Has 6 pitches - I'd ditch the sinker (his worst one) and tell him to focus on the other 5. Average velo but low BB rate, and elite spin. Bieber of course is the creme de la creme of their rotation. Plesac is another name I've heard but I'm not as impressed.

Considering how close Philly was to the playoffs, I doubt they trade Wheeler - he's one of the best in the game, and the $23.6M will look even more like a bargain if the market goes up even more. But I'd take him.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Correa (leadership and continuity), Snydergaard (highest upside by far in that tier), Castillo (because I took a high risk pitcher and we can deal Pena to get him), Rogers (need BP help, but depends on Contreras price tag).

Snake Diggit and clutchdabear like this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

Taking a look at @Snake Diggit 's list, here's a little commentary, not that anybody asked.
    Tier 1 FA: A lot of great players on the list. I went with Gausman since he's became "my guy" since mid-2020. Also, no QO attached. If Correa and JV both walk (As I expect) we better hold onto both those picks.

Tier 2 FA: Canha is overrated. He's more of a role player and he's starting to regress. Will regress even more and I think his power will start to drop. Yimi, while he had his ups and downs, is more of a Tier 3 guy if that existed and not on the same level as everyone else.

Tier 1 trades: Do not want Buxton, he always struggles to stay healthy, and he'll want a big contract.

Last tier: Patrick Corbin was someone I wanted when he was a FA. Now. No way. His contract is an albatross, and the peripherals don't look good. AT ALL. Matthew Boyd is a guy who I'd wanted for some time, but with only a year before hitting FA I'd just wait until then. I still believe he's a good reclamation project. Contreras (C) would be someone I want if not for Maldy being so loved by our staff for his untouchables, plus Korey Lee on the way.
    DeJong, I'm aware that he's no Correa, and I'm not asking him to be. If he was on an albatross deal I'd want no part of it, but the fact is, per Spotrac, it's a low-key friendly deal. Plus he could be our ticket out of Odorizzi's contract. His job would be to pretty much do this until Pena is ready:
    [​IMG]

18. TheresTheDagger

19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

RIP.

Nook and BMoney like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Solid. Adding 2 starting pitchers might also enable them to trade an extra SP (Urquidy or Javier) for a CF (Buxton?).

cmlmel77 likes this.