1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s called basketball iq. Mobley, Barnes, Giddey, Sengun all have it. They consistently make the right plays even if they miss shots or have bad games.

Green literally needs to learn how to play basketball which is a scary starting point.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just find that hard to believe unless you have a **** ton of time on your hands. I barely have time to watch one team's worth of games.

Has Sengun looked better or does he just have more easy buckets fed to him due to his position and more spot up minutes playing against the opposing bench? Sengun has a lot of easy buckets handed to him relative to Green who has to create from the perimeter. Also Sengun I believe has a higher turnover rate.

3. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

So are we being told that if we watch the Raptors/Cavs/OKC games, that we would see the horrorshow stretches over there that we've been seeing here?

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

You can choose to believe me or not. There are others who have seen them play, and you will see them when they play the Rockets.

I watched full games of Green in the g league and Sengun in the Turkish league before they were drafted as well, that’s how I knew one would be a steal and one a bust.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  5. a time to chill

I was a little upset that Green was selected over Mobley, but liked that the Rockets hedged by getting Sengun. I still have hope for Green but right now he seems to be a feast or famine type player and Mobley is more consistently making a positive impact for the Cavs right now. Green is getting the minutes and opportunities to make shots, but he isn't hitting them consistently. Other than the big dunk every once in a while...he is quiet and not having a huge impact. It was funny how people were so sure Mobley was going to be a bust or be injury prone.

6. fchowd0311

No. I'm not even claiming that Green in his first 10 games is playing anywhere near as good and Mobley and Barnes. I'm saying that as Rocket fans who just watch highlights of them, our perception is merely higher than reality for those other rookies.

Same goes for non Rocket fans and Green. They speak far more positively about Green mainly because they see those impressive step backs and dunks.

xaos likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

I mean I don't know about Mobley being injury prone. Haven't really heard that as a complaint about him before the draft but can we seriously make these type of claims about reliability 10 games into their first NBA season?

xaos likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

So you knew he was a bust. So you've already made that declaration 10 games into a 19 year old's rookie campaign?

This is how I know you people are unhinged in trying to massage your preconceived narratives, by making these decorations 10 games into someone's career.

#787 fchowd0311, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    xaos likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you did not watch his full games in the g league, did not have an informed opinion of him prior to the draft besides media hype, Green comes into the year playing nothing like your expectations, yet I’m the one who is unhinged because so far I’ve been right?

you understand there are high standards for the #2 pick? Being a bust doesn’t mean he will be a bad player. But if he’s Michael Finnley or Kerry Kittles or Jamal Crawford he’s a bust. And right now I’m hoping he can be as good as some of those players.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yes, the numbers are similar, but Kobe did shoot much better at that age. Right now Green is just getting points by sheer volume of shots.

.35% FG Green
    .43% FG Kobe

Kobe also showed signs of being able to play good defense. I remember Kobe D'ing up and embarrassing Pippen a few times when he was with the Rockets.

Still early though and hopefully he can get better.

11. fchowd0311

How do you know how those guys played at 19? None of them were even in the league at his age.

Your diction is making it sound like it's a matter of fact that he's already a bust.

xaos likes this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

I can’t speak for other posters, and whether they try to intentionally bait you, but you guys are extremely easily triggered.

I think the Lou Will and Corey Brewer comps are good, though not perfect. In fact, what we’re seeing from Jalen is a prototype Lou-Brew morph: smaller/shorter worse defender than Brew but with more skill;, much more athletic than Lou but with less skill.

Several things about that.
    1. Lou and Brew are not busts. One is one of the best 6th men ever, the other is a valuable role player on good teams. JG can still be a total bust, that is not excluded. So for someone to try to maliciously bait you and trigger you, that’s a very, very subtle trolling. People can say, Hasheem-level bust, and that would be it.

2. I personally think people are mostly talking about style of play and not achievement level. Maybe a highly competent Lou-Brew morph can translate into an All-Star player, I am not excluding it.

3. The Lou-Brew morph is just a close extrapolation of what we’re seeing now. Nobody says that leaps and step-up improvements are off the table. If JG bulks-up for example, then a whole nother level of comps will open-up to him, including Kobe…Or, alternatively if he grows some Sam Cassel-style cajones and gets some extra mojo other comps will open such as Ja or Iverson, skinny but extremely tenacious and badass players.

For now though the Lou-Brew morph is a reasonable extrapolation of what we’re seeing. For now!

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

No he is not already a bust, it’s only been 10 games.

I think he will be a bust. That’s an opinion.

xaos likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

What was Kobe's fg% his first 10 games of his second season when he was 19? Keep in mind that's with one year of NBA experience behind his belt already.

15. fchowd0311

Ah okay. That's the correct diction I'm looking for. Your previous statement said "I knew he was going to be a bust". That diction implies that he already is and that your prediction was right.

Nothing wrong with that opinion that he might be one.

xaos likes this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't get the hate for Green. His shooting mechanics are inconsistent for sure - I think a few scouts noted that pre-draft that it would make him a streaky shooter in the short term - turns out they were right because he will have 9pts on low efficiency one game and 30 points on high efficiency the next. His frame isn't yet filled out and the league just changed foul rules so he is getting pounded on drives and thus converts at a low rate - not shocking, but probably less of an issue as he learns to play through it AND adds normal weight that most people do into their 20s. Otherwise, he still has the elite athleticism we thought, he is still is a knock down shooter when open, he still is able to get space against just about anyone in an iso(at 19!), and his playmaking I think is much better than most anticipated. He's gotta learn to pick his shots a bit better and he has to become more physical to get himself open(use those screens effectively young man!) but I'm still not down on Green compared to Barnes/Mobley. I still think Green has a hell of a ceiling and you can see he is improving in small ways already.

It's easy to look at Mobley and Barnes and think we picked the wrong guy, but both of those guys walked into situations with far better surrounding talent than what Green has in Houston. It's not like Cleveland or Toronto are asking their young rookies to run an NBA offense at 19 - they just have to be ready when others generate them opportunities. It's a much different situation in Houston where defenses known Houston has limited options so they key on Green and KPJ. Green is the defensive focus of opposing teams while Barnes and Mobley are the compromises defenses give up in lieu of better options. I think Mobley and Barnes are going to be great - no shade to them but needed playmaking and offensive firepower on this specific roster more than we needed team defenders and paint protectors.

I ask the question - what specifically would be significantly different if we had Mobley or Barnes on this roster instead of Green? We still are probably a 1-8 team with those guys I think and probably would still struggle offensively.

19bernardo87, xaos and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. The geth & the reaper

hell nah! Why would you want him to be mediocre borderline starter?

If he bust he bust, way better than giving him a terrible contract simply because he’s was the # 2 pick and are wagering on him improving ala wiggings.

18. towW

towW Member

Sengun is a smart player that's why he's good

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

If fg% was his only problem then I would have no worries. I can guarantee you that Green’s fg% will go up as all rookies do. I cannot guarantee you he will turn into a good basketball player. I can almost guarantee you he won’t turn into a great basketball player despite higher fg%.

20. fchowd0311

Ya that definitely stands out with him. Seems to have great awareness of his teammates when he's on the high post.

21. fchowd0311

Well as long as you include "almost" behind guaranteeo_O

I have to do a refresher on Kobe's first season but I believe Green looks like the more promising pnr ball handler than Kobe did in his first year.