1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Green really works on refining his game he can become a good scorer in the NBA. From what I've seen at best he can become a Lou Williams type spark off the bench that doesn't really contribute to anything else on the court. He still has a long way to go before he gets to that level though.

2. R94

R94 Member

Without knowing, if you told me he was the #2 overall pick, i would call you damn liar.

Downtown Sniper, clos4life and CXbby like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

so is it now jalen "not barnes" green? or jalen "not mobley" green?

4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Man, you guys must have really sucked in the 80's and 90's when we missed our pick and could've had Michael Jordan, who clearly should've been the #1 pick, can't believe we ****ing wasted it!

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So I'm assuming you would say that about Kobe Bryant when he was 19 in his second season with low efficiency and low scoring output?

Not Lou Williams obviously but whatever the 90s version of him was.

"Kobe at best will become a 6th man spark plug".

harold bingo likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I mean just because Kobe had a crappy season at 19, doesn't mean every player that has a crappy season at 19 have a good chance of becoming Kobe. That is a pretty flawed logic don't you think.

Green has gotten off to a rather rough start other than the 2 games where he got hot. It's hard to really predict anything. He could also become a player worse than Lou Williams.

clos4life and PeterKingX like this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You can remove Summer League, I think Green peaked in Summer league lol

8. towW

towW Member

knee jerks

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm getting a little concerned not going to lie. mainly that I thought he would be able to attack the rim at a much much better rate.

interesting to see what he opts to work on the rest of his rookie year. trying improve at every facet of your game simultaneously is a fools errand.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, exactly. There’s a lot of miscommunication here on this board. Those who are disappointed that JG did not come out of the gate blazing are not necessarily sаying that he won’t get better. OTOH, Saying Kobe was bad his first year doesn’t mean he’ll become the next Kobe. Majority of players are bad their first year, not all of them become Kobe, obviously.

With some of these top dogs you know right away: LeBron, Luca… Others like Kobe took a few years. T-Mac looked worse than Jalen Green in his first year. It’s very early on and all scenarios are pretty much on the table: from complete bust to a superstar. What we are discussing is ballpark probabilities of what his career may end up…

solid and xaos like this.
  11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

At this point, it’s absolutely a combination of Green being underutilized by the coaching staff, and also Green just straight bricking and not being aggressive enough.

Silas can’t shoot the ball for Jalen. But there are ways we can get him easy points to get his confidence and rhythm going. Check this out:

We do nothing like this to make the game easier for our #2 overall pick. Meanwhile, Golden State is out here running plays to maximize the strengths of a role player.

12. dawesome

dawesome Member

Honestly, I'm a little surprised by underperforming Green but somehow, I want to believe it has something to do with the coaching style. Green should be much better than what we are seeing.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

The curse of the #2 pick is a cop out. This was a very deep draft with Mobley, Barnes, Giddey there for the taking, three all star caliber franchise players. We CHOSE to take Green. Blame Rafael for ignoring his analytics department which was rumored to favor Mobley. Blame Tilman for being money hungry for drafting an IG model. Don’t blame some superstitious “curse”, Green is not hurt he just sucks.

Downtown Sniper, clos4life and right1 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

So why are you mistepresting what I'm saying?

When someone says the best they can be is Lou Williams and I say that Kobe had a rough season at 19, doesn't mean I think Green is the next Kobe. It means writing off someone's career as "the best they can be is Lou Williams" 9 games into someone's rookie season at 19 years of age is incredibly stupid and quite frankly probably intentionally meant to "trigger".

xaos likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Can we blame him once these guys are of legal drinking age and we actually see what players they become?

Or is that that crazy talk?

harold bingo and xaos like this.
  16. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

His career is not over but the experiment -- what part of "over" do people not understand? It's not kind of over or mostly over.

17. fchowd0311

Can't tell if that's sarcasm making fun of people who wrote off careers of NBA rookies 9 games into their first season at 19 years of age or you are actually serious here.

Yes it's 9 games into someone's rookie season at 19. It's not moving goal posts to say that even an entire bad rookie year for a 19 year old doesn't write off their careers to some predetermined ranking that satisfies your preconceived bias about the guy before he was drafted.

xaos likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

People are seriously unironically making fun off people who are saying to wait and see a player develop past 9 games into their roomie season at age 19. Like I don't know if I'm being gaslight or not at this point.

xaos likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

sorry I didn't read the message you replied to. I also feel like it's not intentionally trying to trigger especially Green seems to need improvement in almost every aspect of his game except for his raw athleticism.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn't give "blame" at this stage but I will say this.

You know who drafted Evan Turner at #2? Rod Thorn.

You know where Rod Thorn is now after a very very long career??... Retired because of drafting Evan Turner at #2, and the horrible Bynum trade.

So yeah there are consequences for drafting poorly at #2, and there will be consequences for Stone if he misses on Green. Your post is sort of strange that you thought because I was stating that there has been an odd string of misses at #2 that I somehow would give Stone a pass.

Stone has a 3 year plan. Hit on Green, Hit on the 2022 lottery pick, Score multiple free agents in 2023 free agency, and contend for a title during the 2023/24 season. Stone will lose his job rightfully so if it's obvious that the Summer of 2023 free agency play is no longer a reality because Stone missed badly with the draft this past Summer and this next Summer. That's the reality that I would assume Tillman is working under. If Stone wants a long career in the NBA as a GM, he better hope Green shows more than he has or he just scores the next Lebron next Summer.

clos4life and CXbby like this.