1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood bringing the ball up is counter intuitive to our team's strength

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 5, 2021.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Christian Wood has a bit of a tunnel vision problem, in that he consistently misses the open man. However, there's honestly never a good reason for him to bring the ball up, because unlike Sengun (who pushes the pace, as opposed to just walking it up), Wood doesn't have the court vision to read and create plays. It's also detrimental to the team's advantages, which is the youth and speed.

I've seen a lot of plays where Wood gets the rebound and walks the ball up, and by the time he crosses halfcourt, opposing defenses are already well set. In this game for example, the Rockets should be pushing in transition to avoid Ayton, and they have guys like Green and Porter to do that.

At the moment, for a lack of a better description, Wood is a bit of a black hole on offense. Everytime the ball is in his hands, it has a tendency to stick to his hands even if he was planning to make a pass. It's actually a drastic difference watching Sengun at the top of the key with the ball, in comparison to Wood. When Sengun gets the ball, he immediately looks for a pass from a cut or a curl, which allows our guards to get a straight line run to the basket. When the ball is in Wood's hands at the top of the key, more often than not he's going for an isolation move to the basket that he may or may not pass out of.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Why the hole gotta be black? What about white holes?

3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

This is EXACTLY what I mean

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

There’s one reason why Wood brings the ball up the court and that’s his ego. He wants to be a complete player instead of focusing on his strengths.
    I’ve said this a million times, if Wood focused on what he’s good at instead of trying to do everything, he’d have insanely high value for any team. Unfortunately he seems to be hellbent on being a Wish version of KD or whatever he’s trying to do there.

aaquaa, DreamShook, saleem and 9 others like this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's actually one of our better offensive weapons. The guy makes most of his shots so I don't mind him getting his own. What I wonder is why Silas is incorporating the back to the basket game again.

Magicsaint and Ramo$e like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I was a big fan past year or so but starting to see why he hasn’t been a star or not elite yet. Too many mental errors such as jacking up long 2s in critical situations. He is also not aggressive enough and plays like 2 guard at times instead of demanding the ball on the post. Issue is he’s weaker and smaller than other 4s and 5s and has the mindset of a 2 or 3 settling for 3s and long 2s. He is a bit more aggressive on boards and defense this year but i haven’t seen much improvement offensively.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Wood is playing for big fat contract next season.

He needs those numbers, so he hardly pass the ball on the court.

red5rocket and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Won't hate moving on from C-Wood. Keeping my eye on a struggling MPJ.

aaquaa likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wood is turnover waiting to happen when he brings the ball up.
    Every time I'm screaming PASS IT

aaquaa, Invisible Fan and hakeem94 like this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

KPJ or Green need to demand the ball after a rebound, learn from CP and Booker

aaquaa and PeterKingX like this.
  11. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Woah, woah, woah, hold on there—we have a strength?

aaquaa and Williamson like this.
  12. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

He also can’t post up and make free throws

trade him when we can get something good

I’ve seen enough

aaquaa and Crashlanded19 like this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He has a great touch. But yah, the dude has tunnel vision and possibly an ego issue. There were rumors last season that he had a bad attitude on the bench when he wasn’t getting the ball.

The free throws are what annoy me the most.

aaquaa and saleem like this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Wood plays like we should be focusing all of our attention to "develop" him

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

coach has to be traded first, a great coach would correct his flaws and make him into a defensive beast!

COACHING MATTERS

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The one thing Wood is extremely poor at is working in the post. He doesn't have a fadeaway jumper, and when he gets it in the post, he can either back smaller players down (which he does okay), or jump into the guy and hope for a foul or and-1. More often, he takes a few steps back and tries to work off the dribble to get a mid-range jump shot. When he brings it up, I think it's because he feels he has a better chance of getting past his man or just getting a shot than waiting for a pass in the flow of the offense.

He's got to be content getting 8-12 shots a game some times. And that's going to take some tough love from Silas for Wood to understand.

aaquaa, saleem, Shark44 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wood kind of wishes he had the vision and passing ability of Sengun.

I do agree that it's a bit of ego that has Wood go into super selfish chucker mode sometimes....but let's face it, just about everyone on the team outside of Sengun does that.

I think when the team gets more comfortable playing with one another, it'll get better.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and palmsnbananas like this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

In his defense, it's never ideal for your 7 footer to bring the ball up. It's nice that he can do it, but I'd rather he didn't do it either. What I'd love to see is a PG who can set up some kind of an offense. Any kind of an offense...

I like Christian Wood. He has some limitations, but he brings a rare skillset that could make him a great player one day if he learns how to harness it better. He needs to be coached up. Is he getting that? No idea.

majicdonjuan and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he just can't make shots when the game matters. doesn't have the "clutch gene TM"

aaquaa and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Rockets' big man that has a fragile ego and wants to do too much, that it impedes a Rockets' SG. Hmm, where have I seen this story befo-

[​IMG]