1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks trade idea

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StupidMoniker, Jun 4, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

With the exception of Mobley, that would be the slowest starting line-up in basketball.

2. jacago

jacago Member

though streetball is popular in NY, i dont think they want 2 streetballers to form their backcourt.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Marbury and Francis seems a bit redundent, but not necessarily bad. There isn't the same geographical bottleneck for guards that low-post players have on the blocks. In any case, I think New York would be tempted to do it just to get rid of Houston's terrible contract.

As for Houston's contract not being a cap burden to us: we have a new, second cap now. Though the luxury tax threat has subsided for now, I don't expect the Rockets to risk a long-term salary structure that would put them in danger of it again. That means that having Houston in a long-term deal could mean we let other guys go to save money.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hopefully by this you mean Janet, Tito, Jermaine, or Action, and not Jim or Mark, because neither Jim nor Mark is equipped to play point guard on the NBA level even as a backup at this stage. That would be an absolute disaster.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

wow, talk about letting your opinion cloud reality. francis for houston straight up? and we give up most of our valuable trade exception, too? wow. you seem to be making this trade based on how you feel about steve. and we all know how that is.

what you, or i, think about steve doesn't matter though, it's what GM's think. he has a trade value out there, and it isn't allan houston. even if you like the idea of a great shooter for steve, giving up francis for someone far below his trade value, while losing the TE, is just ridiculous. steve francis gets mentioned in rumors for tmac (even if they're wrong). call me when allan houston gets in on one of those. he won't, b/c his trade value isn't anywhere near that. in fact, he has negative trade value thanks to his enormous contract. why would we help the knicks lose that negative trade value for someone who definitely has positive trade value? even if the knicks weren't sure how marbury/francis would work, they'd do this in a minute if just to move one of them later since they can actually be moved unlike AH.

if you just want a shooter, spending 20M on one isn't a good idea. of course, you'll say, the good thing about houston is that he can be a prolific scorer. now, while the shooting may not go away with age, the prolific scoring will. and it certainly will by the time we wanna contend and we certainly won't be able to use him to get another star for yao. you either keep the young francis who is very good or use him to get someone to put around ming who you can also build with. getting 33 year old scorers who make 20M is a horrible way to go.

and yes, the jackson/jackson combo at pg is ummm, bad. lets forget mj may not be in the nba next season, and that neither can play pg offensively (and in mj's case not for more than about 10 minutes a night), but they sure as hell can't guard anybody with speed at the pg position. mj made steve look like an all-nba defender last year.

basically, getting allan houston is a bad idea. using steve francis' trade value to do it makes it an even worse idea.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

dude, don't you know that anybody playing pg besides francis is a big time upgrade? no matter what faults or limitations they have, they can never compare to steve's?

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Mobley can guard the point, Jimmy Jack can guard the 2 and Houston would guard the 3. In fact, call Mobley the point guard if you want. Both he and Jackson have brought the ball down and initiated the offense adequately in the past. Apparently francis 4 prez skipped trade possibilities 2 and 3, so I will let him have the chance to look those over before responding.

8. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

you would want Vince Carter?

9. StupidMoniker

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Terrible trades!

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Tim Thomas is like a more athletic version of Keith Van Horn, except he doesn't hit the boards as hard. He can look like a superstar one night and a scrub the next. Plus, he's being paid max dollars.

Allan Houston probably has the purest jumpshot in the league... But really, he can't do anything else. At all. He's a mediocre passer, ballhandler, horrible rebounder, bad defender... And he's also being paid max dollars.

As for Kurt Thomas... In the western conference, he's a supersub-type backup like Malik Rose. Not a starter. And he's being paid about as much as Cato. Why would we trade an overpaid backup for another?

I think that if we had a shot at Allen, McGrady, or even just Elton Brand for Steve it would be a much better alternative to any of those guys.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jim Jackson cannot guard shooting guards on the NBA level on the perimeter. He is a liability, plain and simple, and a massive downgrade from Mobley defensively.

13. StupidMoniker

I agree, and said as much in my first post. I just don't think you can get those type of players for Francis.

14. sup123

sup123 Member

another bad thing about this line up is it only has a few years left in it. Jackson, houston, and thomas are all old. Mobley is even getting up their, he is like 28 or 29 i think.

15. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

that's really sad... haha...

it's like me saying i'm a less fierce version of ben wallace, with less offensive game. lol

16. Sane

Sane Member

Those trades are absolutely horrifying.

Francis for ALLAN HOUSTON straight up?

I'm all for trading Steve.... but COMMON!

How about this one for New York:

Mobley/Cato/Taylor for Mutombo/Houston/Penny?

Leaves us quite weak at the 4, but it would be perfect if we could grab either Rasheed or McDyess for example.

Yao/Mutombo
    McDyess/Spoon
    JJ/Boki/AG
    Houston/Penny/Pike
    Francis/Penny

Big risk at the 4 spot, we'd be very thin and McDyess may go down, but still. I'm sure we could get someone decent with our TE.

Not a great trade, but more reasonable I think.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Scratch that. Numbers are WAY off.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the knicks want to get rid of houston, not only because of his contract but, because team doctors say he needs surgery and he refuses to get it until after his summer break. that means he will probably miss games in the beginning of next season.

also

steve for his straight up doesnt work. allan makes much more.

19. StupidMoniker

Non-simulataneous trade, I believe is the technical term. More commonly called the trade exception around here.

20. aznsowass

aznsowass Member

all we need to do is give EDDIE GRIffin another chance. i know he will be a superstar in this leauge. he just need another chance. and if any way we can land back rashard lewis to his homeland it will be quite intresting when we do make playoffs year after year

go rocketssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

ps do not trade francis to get tmac
    yao/francis are untouchable