1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets.com Audio & Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 29, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It wasn't just you RunninRaven. Rudy's voice seemed kind of slurred, and Rudy just seemed to be out of it. I don't know if fatigue caught up to him or what, because he has been physically burned out the last few offseasons.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

He was in the back room (where Les came out of at the end) on the phones.

And yes it would have been great to see the white board with the order of players they preferred.

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

3. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Why would they stop it at 10:45? I would love to see the reaction, minutes after les announced the deal.

It seemed that Rudy had no clue that they were trying to make the trade. Even when Griffin was picked, it was like he had no idea that CD & Les were making the move with the Nets.

Did anybody notice the guy on the bottom right of the picture? It looked like the trainer (Keith), but damn he looked like he was dead or something. No emotion during the entire tape.

------------------

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man I thought that was just me! I wonder if they put him back in the ground when they were done with him!

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

They didn't actually make the trade until after Griffin had been picked. So for Rudy to show no emotion as Griffin was being picked is quiet normal actually. It was after NJ picked him that CD called New Jersey. Am I correct on that?

------------------

6. CaucasionSensation

Long time no see fellas! His paleness has been recomissioned.

By the way, at about 10 minutes on the clip, a guy across the table from Rudy begins briefing the rest of the Rockets crew in the war room about how they need to call Chicago. Did any of you guys catch that. Some of the words get very hard to hear. No I'm sure I heard Chicago, but didn't hear the details of what he said exactly. He says to call Chicago and tell them that we got a deal we couldn't pass up.

Were we working some sort of deal with Chicago?

Watch the clip at the 10 minute mark and see what you make out of it.

------------------

7. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I have a 56K modem and it says I can't open file and to check the website blah blah blah. Could anyone just sum up what happened, or what didn't happen?

------------------
    One of the newest members of the New Jersey Nets fan club.

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

nice to see you CS! I couldn't figure out the Chicago stuff... for a while I thought they were just talking about flight info, lol.

BTW, I take everything back about being afraid of Les working 'in the kitchen'. The whole Rockets' staff seems like a bunch of bumbling idiots. The video reminds me of some Jerry Lewis sort of character that just finds himself in a lucky situation.

*sigh*.

I just thought that the Rockets were in a bit more control of their destiny.

It's cool that there's so much video on the site though! Mo Taylor is so sincere I nearly forgot for a moment that he can't rebound.

9. Achebe

Watch the Rudy clip too if you get a chance.

Rudy's either drunk, or being somewhat misleading. He acts as if things were hectic and confusing in the draft room. When people ask how the whole thing came together, he says something like "things were over here, things over there, you have to act!". There were only two people 'acting' in the draft room... Carroll and Les.

The curtains have been pulled back fellas...

Les Alexander, the man, the legend. Oh yeah, and the billionaire to boot.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I was a little disappointed as well. Call me crazy, but I expected a little more activity, and I certainly didn't expect every representative to sit and watch the funny commercials rather than discuss possibilities. Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure that they had already discussed many conceivable possibilities...plus Les and CD working trades out of view, but it just seemed like a social gathering where everyone is just relaxing and having a good time.

Rudy poking his head in saying that Seattle would be willing to swap the #12 and #13 if we threw in the #18 or #23 seemed more like someone saying, "Hey, we're out of beer, someone go get some."

What a party.

------------------
    I would rather have Mo Taylor and his love of the Rockets than Webber and his love of our money.

Rocket's need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I believe that I read on ESPN that the Rockets had a deal with Chicago where the Bulls would grab Curry for the Rox and the Rockets would have to grab Diop for them at #13...in addition, the Rockets would give up some other picks. Thats why they were so psyched about Diop being picked by Cleveland...it made the Chicago trade void and allowed the Rockets to get their #1 dream pick in Griffin.

------------------

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Kinda cool to know that Rudy T, CD, and the crew had us in an opportunity to have at least one of the Eddies playing in Rockets pajamas next season.

------------------

13. Band Geek Mobster

I don't know what you guys were hoping for, it's not like they were going to post video on their page of CD talking to Rod Thorn on the phone or anything. I doubt the other GM's in the league would want their phone conversations to be recorded and posted on the web by the other team.

They'll just show the video of the guys that don't really have much to do in this draft, like the trainers, scouts, and assistant coaches.

Did you guys expect Keith Jones to be on the phones with the Nets trainer or something?

Also as far as Rudy seeming out of it during the press conference, I'm betting he didn't get much sleep the days before the draft and especially the night after drafting Eddie Freaking Griffin!

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

"I'm a Level 18 mage, wanna form a party?" -- Dr of Geekdom in search of a Dungeons and Dragons buddy...

14. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

You got to be kidding, Les is the almighty talent evaluator? Just because he was in the back room, it doesn't mean he was doing jack.

Les is the owner of the team, of course you would expect to see him around for such an important event. I would be disappointed if he wasn't "involved". How much was he truely involved, no one knows other than the people that were there. I am sure, they (CD, Rudy & Co.) ask Les for his blessings before agreeing on any deals/trades. That doesn't mean Les architects the trade(s).

Yeah, the group looked like they were watching a superbowl, but what did you expect? You expect them to be reviewing video tapes of draftees? Those things should've been done days ago, not during the last minutes. Their priority of players should be edged in stone prior to the 1st pick.

How many people do you really need to be on the phone talking to other teams? Three, four or five? How about just one (CD) or maybe two (CD & an assistant)? Sometimes more doesn't mean better, it just become more confusing. It's not like CD & Les were the only ones contributing to the decision (remember Rudy asked others about the Seattle trad, and prompting Mean to say "it's too rich"), the rest of the team DID contribute.

All hard work have already been done prior to the day of the draft, the view of the war room was pretty much what I was expecting (except I thought CD would've been in the same room while on the phone, but actually it makes more sense that he is in a more quiet room). If the assistants were actually flipping thru paper or watching video tapes of draftees, I would've been pissed, because it would mean that they haven't been prepared.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

15. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Oh, as far as hoping to see the Rockets controlling their own destiny... what were you expecting? Voodoo dolls? They were "destined" to get a player at the 13th pick, even thought they've tried numerous times to trade up without any success.

Sometimes your life takes a different turn (sometimes for better sometimes for worst) because of the actions of others, that's the way it is. Now you can call that "destiny", you can call that controlling your own life, or you can call that "things falling into your lap".

Things happen, you "react". That's all, nothing else.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thanks for the scoop mateo, I hadn't seen that. It sounds interesting though. I didn't know that the Rocks were interested in Curry.

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

17. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

That's Doc Rocket you're making fun of [​IMG]

------------------

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

When Chicago was mentioned, they were talking about the future pick that Chicago owed us.

The comment was made after Rudy T had told the staff that they were getting Griffin and had said "Now, if we can go and get what's his name"

Then they started suggesting that they let Steve(?) know that they were still trying to work and were mentioning ways of swapping a a draft pick for "what's his name" - I interpret it to mean that "what's his name" was Morris and Steve was Francis.

On another note, after Kedrick Brown was selected the staff said that "all our guys are still there"
    So whoever we were looking at drafting was not taken in the top 11!!

------------------

19. raww

raww Member

That video was tight... They had no idea that Les made the trade. I hate the fact that the video stops after Les walks out and gives rudy a high-five... Rudy is looking at him like he's crazy (or drunk...) Anyway, they were talking about doing some type of trade with Chicago but couldn't hear the details. I'm just glad it worked out like it did...

------------------
    RAWW
    Paid for by the Frudy T. Gin and Juice Daquari Factory.

20. Achebe

Certainly MoonBus, but I was talking about Rudy in particular. He really had no idea as to what was going on. It just seems like he should have known by draft night what the priorities for the Rockets were. Asking "that's good?" when Cleveland chose Diop @ 8 seems kind of peculiar to me.

Also, seeing him slosh in "auhghghghghg, 18 or 23 to flop w/ uhhghghghh dayyyyyuhhhhaghgh Seattle, ughghhhgh, ughghghgh?". I just figured he'd be the sort of guy that would be explicit and know the stage: "Vlad's going at 12, he's more important than what's his face [​IMG], we'll have to cut our losses", or some sort of knowledgeable statement.

Regardless, the video goes a long way in realizing why Rudy and Dream had a 'miscommunication' last year. "Dayyyguughhghg, auughghgh uh Dream, uhghhgh, ughhh nevermind".

------------------
    calling powdered toast man

girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 03, 2001).]