1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While it is true that there is a such thing as over confidence...for me it's not about what he's said at all but watching him play along with what many of people said around him.

He doesn't get down on anything, he'll miss a shot and hustle back almost every single time, he gives as much as he has on defense, and that all goes into what coaches have said about him.

He'll have a terrible shooting half and instead of just jacking up shots he'll aggressively attack and make the most of his chances. It just all goes into what has been said about him and so far confirms that he might be a hard worker that will do whatever it takes to get better. If he does that, he'll be where he wants to be.

It really is more about how Green has reacted to his own failure that I'm impressed by. He's going to have bad games and struggle for stretches, happens even to the best of players, especially rookies.

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, sorry, but that’s a cop-out, that’s not a higher-level discussion. You are saying discourse is low level because people make quick-trigger takes, but your alternative “let’s wait and watch” offers no a valuable insight. That’s just basically, “let’s not discuss".

When you have limited data, your analysis is likely to be off, but that doesn’t make it low-level, at least it’s an attempt at insight. We analyze the data we have. Saying, let’s wait until we have all the data is not high-level discussion, by any means, sorry.

3. HardenVolumeOne

Jalen Green will be fine me thinks

but here is some rare footage of James harden as a rookie. I think jalen has the ability to do everything harden showed in this video

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

It is healthier to just allow the situation to reveal itself instead of speculating. It also helps the team know what the next steps are for the roster. If he doesn't finish top 3 ROY, that would be disappointing.

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

the data we have is that this kid has been successful at every stage of his career so far and a lot of people have their belief in him. the data is that he clearly has skill, athleticism to succeed. the data we do not have is how he adjusts to the NBA, so should we speculate on that?

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Coming clean, no I never wanted Jalen with the #2 pick, no I’m not nitpicking watching him but it’s hard not to point out the fact that has has looked as bad as I expected. BUT, I figured it out. For my own mental health, I’m just going to pretend we reached and drafted Sengun at #2 and traded two protected futures firsts to take Jalen at #16. Sengun has looked every bit the part and no less than the #3 pick Mobley so far. And while Jalen has struggled, he’s still easily worth the gamble at #16. No complaints! Much easier to stomach looking at it this way.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What's wrong with comparing him to Ja?

He had way more hype than Ja, who should he be compared to?

Remember the Kobe comparison was used a lot leading up to the draft.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those are truly special players, HOF types that's not the norm, and unfair to Green.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gonna take more than mentality he has to have the skill and IQ as well, that's the things I am watching for.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I mean, analyze!! That’s what people do even before these kids are drafted, they try to figure out how their game translates to NBA, it’s called "draft analysis", it’s not extremely precise, but it’s not called speculation…

Now we are way past that. They are drafted, played in SL, played in preseason. Statistical analysis shows decent correlation between preseason and season performance for players… Saying "let’s not say anything, this is low-level discussion”, I don’t get that.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mitchell is not a primary ball-handler and Green is definitely not a come off the screen guy.

Mitchell is the beat people off the dribble guy so it's a great comp for Green, he is not a deadeye shooter.

Do you think Green is Clay Thompson?

NewAge likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Lol… opposed to throwing out names like Luka, Ja, Lebron, and Kobe? Opposed to questioning his masculinity….?

It seems we don’t really want to discuss the same things.

13. dmoneybangbang

Ja is a point guard who is the main facilitator for his team. I think Suggs and Ja would be better comparisons if we had got Suggs.

Kobe was the talk coming from Green.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have yet to see this upper level athletic ability, have not seen Lavine nor Ja level athletic ability not in pre season or the CBA.

I have no idea why people keep saying this.

Stevie Franchise?

Wut?

He just got almost blocked on a straight drive baseline layup in the 1st quarter yesterday.

15. dmoneybangbang

So we’ve had 1 summer league and 1 pre season of data. And you’re conclusion is…..

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

OK, let me ask you in a different way: in your opinion can Green be the “best player on a championship team"? and when do you think we can know?

Because this is all it is about. I really want to know whether I should invest emotionally or start watching White KD highlights… :)

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

We have Rockets fans who witnessed one of the greatest shooting guards that ever lived for 8 years, who started his career averaging 9.9 ppg in his rookie year, saying that Green is a bust after 4 preseason games.

if anyone is prove that work ethic, natural talent and determination (which Green obviously has plenty to speak of) will eventually lead to a great career, it’s James Harden.

thank god we didn’t get Harden until some years later, y’all would’ve labeled him a bust too.

18. Rockets4Life13

It’s ****ing impossible to say even for the best GMs in the League.

your whole point is like talking to a kid

„we can’t know, we have to collect more data“

„but i wanna know, wah wah“

sorry, you can’t and won’t know and you’ll have to wait.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

the pre-draft highlights were otherworldly… And in preseason you can see glimpses, but he’s been extremely timid…

20. HardenVolumeOne

kobe was a backup to Eddie Jones, and harden was on the bench for years.

Most guards do not come into the league nba ready, Anthony edwards types are rare, and Luka doncic is even more rare

Rockets4Life13 likes this.