1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance McCullers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Feb 28, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I hope Lance Pitches in Game 6 or 7 in a Closeout Game

2. the shark

the shark Member

What LMJ gave the team was a consistent 5 to 6 innings per start and only giving up a run (two max).

To sit here and say we're "fine" isn't true. Framber, Garcia, Odo and Greinke have not been good the past six weeks. Go look at their game logs.

Now this doesn't mean that they can't up their respective games but we'll have to see how things play out. If these guys can't go 5-6 innings it's going to put a huge strain on the pen which isn't a good recipe for success. Especially in a seven game series.

Not too impressed with Boston's SP and their pen so we can certainly win some high scoring games.

Getting by Boston is one thing it's a WHOLE different beast trying to do this against SF or the LAD. Hopefully LMJ could give it a go in the WS but we have to take care of business first.

We REALLY need Urquidy to step up. He's a guy who could give you 6 strong innings only giving up a run or two.

Plowman likes this.
  3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Framber has been perfectly fine.
    Garcia has struggled more with his control.
    Greinke has been terrible.
    Odorizzi's September/Oct ERA is 3.15 & FIP is 2.47.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Framber "perfectly fine"???

Last six outings (over Sept and the start against the White Sox):

CWS 4.1 IP 4 runs
    Oak 5.0 IP 4 runs
    Oak 6.2 IP 1 run
    LAA 7.0 IP 0 runs
    LAA 5.0 IP 5 runs
    SD 6 IP 4 runs

Two good outings out of the last six but NOTHING that would lead anyone to say he's been "perfectly fine".

6. chrish23

chrish23 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Greinke is a veteran, very different than the others. Zack is crafty and can gut out a good performance.

But damn, losing LMJ feels like a major gut punch

Plowman likes this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think Urquidy can step up this series. He’s pitched in the World Series. The lights won’t be too bright for him.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jon “Framber out for the season” Heyman?
    Boob Nightengale?

Will wait for official word.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Framber has been fine the first 5-6 innings. Garcia with 2.39 ERA at home is fine. Greinke can get through the order at least once, same with Odo. Stop panicking. Overall this rotation was best in the AL. Boston also has to pitch, and beyond Eovaldi who has to pitch against Framber...

10. the shark

the shark Member

Just because I say I don't agree with the assessment that things are "perfectly fine" doesn't mean I'm "panicking" and no Framber hasn't been "fine" as of late the "first 5-6 innings" and nor has Garcia been good his last two outings at home.

11. lnchan

Astros remaining starters by ERA+
    Framber 137
    Garcia 130
    Urquidy 119
    Greinke 103/Odorizzi 102

jim1961 likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Game 1/5: Valdez 1-6, Stanek 7, Graveman 8, Pressly 9
    Game 2/6: Greinke 1-3, L Garcia 4-6, Javier 7-8, Y Garcia 9
    Game 3: Urquidy 1-5, Maton 6, Stanek 7, Graveman 8, Pressly 9
    Game 4: Odorizzi 1-5, Maton 6, Javier 7, Stanek 8, Y Garcia 9
    Game 7: Urquidy 1-4, Odorizzi 5-6, Graveman 7-8, Pressly 8-9

13. Elienator

Elienator Member

I don't think we'll know anymore until tomorrow when the ALCS rosters are announced. If he's on the roster it doesn't mean he will be starting in any game, but it means they think there is at least a chance he could pitch a few innings by the end of the series. It would be a good sign for his availability in the WS if the Astros get there. If he's not on the roster that's probably not a great sign for any potential availability if they get past the ALCS. I'm sure there are some injuries that won't heal in 8 days, but will in 14. However, if you think it could heal in two weeks, you probably figure there is a chance he could throw in a week as well.

Even if McCuller's pitches the key to this series was whether the Astros offense was going to show up in full force and how the bullpen pitches. That is still true if Lance isn't pitching. Framber, Urquidy, and Garcia are all capable of pitching good games (and all have pitched well against the Red Sox the season). Lance not pitching puts more pressure on those guys for sure and it also puts some more pressure on the bullpen, but between Javier/Grienke/Odorrizi, you can put together a solid game 4 "starter" though.

BigM likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They say he MIGHT be able to go in the WS. I'm not too sure about that considering the nature of the beast. We're going to have to stay in "rake" mode...putting up a lot of crooked numbers. Framber & Urquidy have to give us more than they have. Zack needs to give us 5 - 6 quality innings each time out. And, the bullpen needs to hold the line.

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

No McCullers is going to be really hard to overcome. Damn!

16. PhiSlammaJamma

We had a little more depth than the Sox, but throw that out the window now. It's gonna be a dawg fight. Framber has to pitch like a Cy Young from here on out to give us a chance. He's capable, but now, it's on his shoulder to deliver a world series. Urquidy is a gamer. Not worried about him at least doing what he has done. Garcia is a flip. Greinke who knows, but if matched against a low end Sock he has an advantage on paper...but on the bump it's like who knows.

#217 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If this little rest period for Greinke can return him to early season form it’ll be a win. He’s certainly capable of putting together a quality start.

18. lnchan

Framber has a 3.25 2nd half ERA with 2.41 ERA in last 14 days. Urquidy has a sub 2.50 career playoff ERA. If they just pitch according to their current status... we will be fine as is. Greinke has 3.21 ERA in innings 1-3 this year... it skyrockets after. So pull Greinke after one round through the lineup.

#219 lnchan, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    everyday eddie, Elienator and Plowman like this.
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I felt OK with LMJ being the ace but if he is not available this is going to be a tough hurdle, the deeper you go the more pitching dominates......so if true this sucks. We have sticks no doubt but WO quality consistent pitching I dont have a great feeling but I will be rooting my a$$ off