1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Am Now On Record Saying Kelvin Cato Does Not Suck At The Sport Of Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CBrownFanClub, Jul 2, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

Wow... such inspired optimism made me reconsider my opinion on Kelvin. Maybe he'll actually...

...wait, who are we kidding here. This is Kelvin Cato. Nah, trade him before his infection spreads to the rest of the team. He's not a Taurus. He's one of those cardboard box cars that they made in Yugoslavia back in the 80's.

In the immortal words of Rocket03 "KELVIN CATO SUCKS!!!"

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

2. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

JAG --

Nice reply -- I am still in favor of a Ralph Sampson comeback, myself. And, interesting you use the word Tantalizing, as it was the name airbrushed on the back of my brothers Taurus.

All your points are taken, as well. But, I think that there is something more to Cato than wishful thinking. I mean, I wish Malt would play defense and hit his shots in games, and that Jason Collier was not a big, ugly stiff, but I am not predicting any of those things. I hope they happen, especially Malt, because i like him -- but I forsee Cato snapping out of it. All I am looking for here, is for 20 games into the season, to be part of the handful of folks -- more, I can see, than I predicted -- who called Cato's "comeback" to being a decent player before the season.

CBFC

PS: Wait a freaking second. His mom came on this board? You're kidding, right? Where the hell was I?

[This message has been edited by CBrownFanClub (edited July 02, 2001).]

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It ain't the skill it's the will......
    You can teach basketball skills but short of Romanowski candy you can't give a person the burning desire to be the best and that's what it takes to be a top professional athelete. At the amature level the desire for money can mask the lack of self-drive. It's at the professional level that the wheat and chaffe are separated. And, you either have it or you don't.

------------------
    consciousness is the awareness of awareness

[This message has been edited by Gene Peterson (edited July 02, 2001).]

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato has been a huge dissapointment. But as I recall, he had a pretty positive season the year he was traded to the Rockets. Injuries have also been a major factor, but I'm also skeptical to if they were serious injuries. I'm also going to support CBFC belief that Cato will have a successful season if he remains on the team. Who better than Rudy T to change Cato's whole work ethic?

Cod

------------------
    The Number One Cuttino Mobley Fan! Don't hate..Congratulate!

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

CBFC,

Is fromobile really your youngest brother? He's the one who chased off Jenna.

[This message has been edited by ChrisPee (edited July 02, 2001).]

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

I agree CBFC, and even if he stinks it up, I am losing my moniker anyway, so what does it matter.

------------------
    What's a Nubian?

7. dream_team

dream_team Member

That's right... Cato DOESN'T suck, he just doesn't care about being good.

------------------

8. Heath

Heath Member

Thanks CBFC - as I said in the other thread - I will give Cato one more go - so you are not alone.

But reading this made me a believer.

I BELIEVE!!!

(===)

------------------
    The CC.net NBA Sim Board/Homepage

9. I Like The Rockets

I Like The Rockets New Member

I'd like to go on record as saying that Kelvin Cato does suck at the sport of basketball. [​IMG]

------------------
    I Like The Rockets

10. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I think now is a good time to dip into the Kelvin Cato Archives. [​IMG] Remember, this was one of the last games of last season against that defensive stopper, fat country Reeves. http://www.clutchcity.net/game.cfm?gameID=163

------------------
    One of the newest members of the New Jersey Nets fan club.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well we learned two things here, 1.)CBFC has family here, and 2.)'87 Ford Taurus are pieces of crap.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It's possible that if Kelvin Cato got some playing time, and some confidence he could turn into a decent center. Its possible, its also possible that I could become a negative nelly, TheCat will become a Laker fan and popeye will like Walt.

Or not.

The problem with this assumption is it assumes that Cato actually has some semblance of skills with which to play basketball. First off, he will never be a great shot-blocker because he lacks any defensive instincts what-so-ever. All the hard-work and instruction in the world won't make him even a decent shot-blocker - its like building a house on sand. Pour enough money into it and it might stand up, but it cost a lot more than it was worth and it probably isn't that good of a house anyway.

Secondly, unfortunately, shot-blocking isn't the only skill he lacks in. He is poor at man-to-man defense. I have seen him play many games, and the only game I saw him come close to living up to his potential was the game against the Spurs where he harassed and stayed with Duncan and really hampered him offensively. That was it, his one shining moment in the regular season this year. The problem is that the Cato always bites on headfakes. Every single time. There are three things you can count on in life - death, taxes and Cato biting on a headfake.

And I don't want to even discuss his offensive game. His one redeeming characteristic is that when his man doubles he at least knows to go to the front of the rim. Of course then we have to worry about whether he'll be able to hold on to the pass or not.

Kelvin Cato has the tools to be a marginal starter in the NBA, nothing more - unfortunately. He might have an average year next year, and if he does I will rejoice because I think that the limit to his potential.

------------------
    "So, is there still a big rivalry between North Carolina and Duke?" Craig Sager - Proving the only thing bright about him is his shirt.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Yep:

Here's a couple threads she posted to a month ago ...

<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013174.html">Hey Kelvin's Mom!</a>

<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013145.html">Kelvin Cato - Heading Out-according to TheRocketGuy</a>

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

14. red

red Contributing Member

could we get a live chat with cato on this website. i think it would be bigger than the draft day event.

------------------

15. Bingo

Bingo Member

Cato may suck at the moment but we should never forget his value. He's a 7 foot center who underachieves but is still a valued commodity by many teams. Not many teams have a player that can play d on Shaq. We have two of these, dream cato. Not that they shut him out or anything but we did beat the Lakers two out of four. Trade Cato! Fine with me. just not for some 6 foot 9 PF and leave a gaping hole at the 5. Trade Cato for another center.

------------------

16. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

"and the only game I saw him come close to living up to his potential was the game against the Spurs where he harassed and stayed with Duncan and really hampered him offensively. "

-Also, the game on Super Bowl Sunday in '00 against LA on NBC when Cato swatted Shaq about 3 times in the 4th quarter.

I disagree with you that Cato has little talent. I think he has great leaping ability and is reasonably agile for a 7 footer. I haven't noticed his problem on biting on headfakes to be honest.

What I have noticed is his total lack of intensity in one on one defense. The very next game after containing Duncan, I remember Cato getting barrelled right under the hoop by Vlade Divac about 6-7 times for layups. Cato offered absolutely no resistance. He made Divac look like Shaquille. A few games later, he made Michael OliwoBUST look like Shaquille as well.

Offensively, Cato has very little game. He can't shoot the midrange shot, has no post game, but he has the body and athleticism to be a guy who can get some putbacks. And he can finish with authority on alley oops if his head is in the game and he cuts to the hoop when the Rockets guards drive.

His problem is purely motivational. If he ever became more dedicated to his job, he could be a nice role player on the Rockets. But the odds of that happening are very slim.

------------------
    Get Cato out of there...

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

"Cato may suck at the moment but we should never forget his value. He's a 7 foot center who underachieves"
    Should we judge him by the same value of Loren Woods in the draft? I don't see alot of value there.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the post is extremely well written. Unfortunately, I am just so skeptical about Cato. I have NO hope. If we cannot trade him - I would still prefer that because he had enough chances - then I hope that what you say comes true.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'&lt;-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

19. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Yugo Cato [​IMG]

I have held out hope for Cato to come around it just isn't going to happen. He has had every opportunity to do something with his talent and has wasted it. He is in the perfect situation to shine and what does he do......nothing. Which is now what I have come to expect almost every game from him. I can live with untalented, but not unmotivated.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

bump

Had to bump this because of the other Cato thread by @CBrownFanClub's younger brother @fromobile...mentioned in the OP.

extra bonus is that this thread contains one of the first @Codman posts ever on cfnet.

TracywtFacy, Easy and BigMaloe like this.