1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's NEVER been....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Oct 4, 2021.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Should we really believe that? The sad truth is we don't know what is going on over there! Everybody knows that Cal is not very bright and basically he has let Easterby run the organization, so do we really know that Caserio is running the show??

Like I said before, this organization is a MESS! As long as Easterby is in Cal's ear, the owner, we do not know the extent of Caserio's power.

In addition, in every news conf Caserio has backed Easterby. So do we really know that Caserio is making the final call on the Football decisions?

If we do get 3-4 first round picks and if Jack Easterby is in the decision making process, we know it's going to be, shall I say "JACKED UP"!

charlieaustin likes this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

I think the texans, like all of the other organizations in the league want guys that they only have to worry about when they are in the building. They want guys that won't bring controversy or embarrassment to the organization. They want good football players that live their lives with some modicum of morality and decency. I don't think that's asking too much.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No, I don't think that is asking too much for a REGULAR business operation but for a violent sport like Football, you need some idiots.

Not saying every football player is an idiot BUT think of the mentality it takes to go out there and put your body at risk 20 games a yr, plus numerous practices.....you have to have a certain mental makeup.

Think about it! You're looking for 53+ TALENTED guys that are violent on the Football field, yet choir boys off the field....it does not exist.

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

Caserio has stated in multiple interviews that Easterby will not be making personnel decisions. Caserio and Easterby are besties so Nick will always defend him but I don't think he's the type of dude that gets influenced into making personnel decisions, especially from non-football guys, that includes Cal. I think having Tyrod really disillusioned a lot of people into thinking this was going to be a competitive year and now that he's injured reality has sunk in. This team will be bad for the rest of the season. Caserio will fix this team but it's not going to happen over night. If I was a Texans fan that hadn't been able to go to a game when they were winning the division every year, this is the year to get in nrg, if you've never experienced the club level menu now is the time

Rudyc281 and UTSA2step like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

I think the point we're both getting at is that we want players on this team that are intimidating

6. conquistador#11

It's not about handing out contracts. It's about pulling anything to save his own skin. If the team goes 3 years of of 6-11, you don't think Easterby is going to flip on Caserio to stay afloat.

mario_v likes this.
  7. Fantasma Negro

You think this team can go 6-11 for three season and anyone in the front office will remain employed? If this team can't net at least 9 wins next season Nick will have put himself on the hot seat, he won't need Easterby's help

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, If I don't know someone, I NEVER take a person at their word, I go by what I see!

Lets look at this. Cal hired a firm to find the perfect HC and GM and paid them nearly $500k. Easterby curtailed that endeavor by convincing Cal to hire Caserio.

When asked at the Press Conference about Easterby, Caserio never directly answered what his role within the organization was. He deviated at every turn and gave the most vague answers possible. Why? Because that's his boy!

And we're never going to know Easterby's role. He's going to do whatever he wants to do within that organization, football or otherwise

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think you and I are actually in agreement that we don't need players on this team whose conduct on and off the field could severely impact the organization. I don't want a Ray Carruth, Ray Lewis, Aaron Hernandez, or another Deshaun Watson on this team, regardless of what kind of talent they bring. Where the lines are blurred is when the player's off-the-field life don't impact the locker room or their on field performance. I'll circle back to Hopkins again. What he reportedly did on his own time was one of the major reasons why he was traded. If you can agree with me on that then I can proceed. Whatever Hopkins did off the field was probably not that far off from what players throughout the history of the NFL did, more or less. Of course if it was in the same realm as sexually assaulting women like his former teammate has reportedly done then that's an entirely different situation and that definitely requires removal from the organization. However, unless Hopkins is very good at hiding something scandalous like that or if the people he hangs out with (or the women he's slept with) are THAT good with keeping secrets because they think Dre is a great guy, I don't think his off the field stuff should have been enough for him to be traded for peanuts. That's where I think the powers that be (O'Brien AND Cal) let their moral compass cloud their judgement. If they were trying to protect/shield their franchise QB from the same kind of lifestyle by trading away their All-Pro receiver then they were either 1. very ignorant on how much control they had over said QB or 2. really don't understand where their boundaries were.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I wish I could find that Football Follies video of Bill Petersen and the Oilers. It captured the true essence of the shitshow the Houston Oilers were under Bud Adams.

Win likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

How about an entire game from 1972 vs the Raiders on MNF instead?

IBTL and Win like this.
  12. HillBoy

Our Savior is on the way!
    upload_2021-10-6_12-2-10.png

13. HillBoy

Was this the one where the guy in the stands gives the finger to the camera live on TV? Classic!

14. steddinotayto

I don't know but it's a nice to know getting shut out and losing by 4+ TDs always had a place on a professional football team located in Houston.

15. HillBoy

That made the MNF all-time highlights. I remember Dandy Don's response at the time: "He's saying they're #1 in the nation" :p

Win and steddinotayto like this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Korn Ferry thing was misdirection, Cal has wanted Nick for three years. Nick was always going to be the guy

As for everything else, this is becoming circular. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out, I hope and believe Nick can get this team turned around and I'll be here enduring through the good times and the bad press. I haven't studied the structure of any other football team but I'm sure all other the owners have lackeys, but this is the only organization where the fans have been whipped up into a frenzy over a lackey. At first it was because people thought Deshaun and the players didn't like him, when that was disproven, then people attacked him for his religious beliefs. I'm not an Easterby but its actually kinda impressive how he Costanza-ed his way into his current position and salary from where he started and I think a lot of people are sincerely jealous of the guy. I'll be the first to admit it, I am. I wish I could finagle my way into five mil a year and all I gotta do is pray and plan meetings, man my wraith would be full of bibles, I'd be calling prayer circles every time I see anyone, I'd be on the sideline telling players that God loves them but only after they make a play, I'd be on the field pregame in cleats and gloves running routes, man yall just don't know. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Maybe you should take a step back to reduce your frustration, you should only be this mad at the government, you're too smart a fan, you know too much, take down the Easterby dart board in your man cave, mix in some other teams, be a player only fan, play fantasy football. I love passionate fans but anger towards this team especially right now is energy that could be better spent loving something else

17. Fantasma Negro

I think the Hopkins situation was an anomaly. And it was personal. For some reason Billy didn't like Hop and that caused Hop to not **** with Billy. There was a rumor that Billy confused Hop's baby moms and call one the others name, when Hop brought it to him thinking it was done disrespectfully, Billy said how about you just don't bring your baby mommas here or something like that. Without ill will that could've been a situation that could've been resolved. It would have taken an intervention from Cal to stop that trade. And lets not get it confused, I love Hop, still do, still watch him every Sunday, I hated that trade, when I say "bad guy" I'm not ever talking about Hop. I'm not getting into the sex parties because I don't think there is anything wrong with a single man having fun. If that's the reason they traded him, Cal should sell the team cause I know how billionaires get down at parties. I think Billy was really trying to get fired and he proposed that trade thinking Cal would run into his office with a pink slip but unfortunately he didn't.

#97 Fantasma Negro, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    steddinotayto likes this.
  18. Win

Win Contributing Member

Great Bill Peterson quotes -

Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl.

You guys line up alphabetically by height.

Lead us in a few words of silent prayer.

I'm the football coach around here and don't you remember it.

Red.Glare and steddinotayto like this.
  19. HillBoy

Win likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

I was just a twinkle in my parents' eyes when Peterson coached....what in the hell were the Oilers thinking in hiring this guy? Was his illustrious career at Rice what tipped the scales. As I'm typing this it made me realize we've come full circle on questionable head coaching hires more or less.