1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ShamesBomb: John Wall on his way to leave…?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Sep 14, 2021.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Listened to the podcast.

They laughed at the idea of Wall for Simmons. Saying Houston would do that immediately and Philly would never do it. TM even suggested Stone should troll Morey by offering Wall for Simmons.

Both felt strongly this would be an exciting bad team to watch.

burlesk and amaru like this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

I'm going to laugh so hard when Sixers fans see what Simmons goes for.

It's the ridiculous contract they gave him... defense is fine, but he's an average ball distributor and he's a liability on offense without a scenario he's posting up...

He's a 15 million dollar player. He's at young Andre Iguodala level... he should be a quality role player, not a foundation piece...

If he was making his rookie scale they would get picks back on spec, but no team is giving those picks and cap space...

Corrosion, NewAge, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

[​IMG]

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“-Rockets may be willing to include draft compensation next offseason to get something back in Free Agency”

What does this mean?

Corrosion, D-rock and burlesk like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this over yet? It's 2021. I need instant satisfaction. I mean, come on, bald morely, come on.

6. dmoneybangbang

"Flexibility"

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

That we will probably end up having a guy making 40+Mil just to warm the bench for a whole season.

8. theDude

Supporting Member

Could you explain? Maybe provide a scenario? I can’t seem to grasp it.

9. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Trade Wall’s expiring contract plus picks for a signed and traded free agent.

10. thekad

thekad Member

If Wall is actually willing to sit out the entire year, the Clippers package isn’t that appealing. Saving $20m next year doesn’t accomplish anything for anyone but Fertitta.

If Wall wants to play and start games, then yeah I’ll take Kennard instead.

Corrosion and Easy like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i just don't foresee him sitting quietly the whole season, i mean not even past november most likely

like most any bball player, he's gonna wanna get on the court and this likely turns into a temper tantrum fest in the media a la harden

imo ideal scenario is to let him play a couple games a week for showcasing to convince some sucker GM that he's "back all the way" AND/OR to convince wall he should bet on himself getting another contract from some other team and thus forego next year's player option on that contract

clos4life, fattz and JumpMan like this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wall on the team the next two years is fine. He can sit out the year, which will only push him to buyout or decline his option. The dead money makes the team worse which is the goal.

Under no circumstances should we be giving up assets to dump Wall and under no scenarios should we be taking back longer money (Kennard).

The offseason of 23, when we will have multiple high quality youngsters on rookie deals presents a rare opportunity to spend big in free agency while already having a good core to build around. Blowing that on Kennard is a bad move.

Either Wall gets moved for nothing or he sits, or he gets bought out. Simple as that.

13. theDude

Supporting Member

In order to do that, the Rockets would have to have enough cap room to sign a player outright. In order to prevent losing the player for nothing, the other team agrees to a sign and trade to gain assets, which also alleviates salary for the signing team. All benefit. The Rockets will not be in such a position.

14. fattz

fattz Member

Or he lets the team develop and returns as the prodigal son in his contract year and balls out. Averaging close to career highs on fresh legs and finds someone else to keep paying him. (less but the checks still cash). Hide and watch he will be in a winning situation in a few years where he helps a team over the top.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You can trade him to OKC since they have excess cap space but that conversation begins and ends when they ask to lift some of the pick protections.

Wall only gets moved if he wink wink agrees that he won’t take his player option. Which he won’t. So Wall will make $40m as an assistant coach/cheerleader next year until we can trade him as an expiring or buy him out next summer.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  16. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Hou could flip Kennard
    Side ways move Wall wants to be on a good team. Go from one lottery team to another nope.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

better than than what T-Mac did his last season

18. dmoneybangbang

We have $102 million (including Wall) tied up for 2022 and $28 million tied up for 2023.

If we had our eye on player X, who we thought was worth a max (somewhere around Wall's expiring), then we could entice their team into a S&T with picks. We would sign player X and give the other team Wall + picks.

Corrosion and Killatron 2000 like this.
  19. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

^Now here's an idea. I like it, given that's it's for the right player. Anyone particular in mind? I believe we had a great draft, and a certain player could get us over the hump, and accelerate us a bit in the process. I would be down to burn some picks in that case.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Why do we need to trade Wall? Even if there’s a team willing to take him, we’d need to attach assets, or get back other bad contracts/contracts.

Just wait it out . It’s not like we’ll be relevant this year or next year anyway.

REEKO_HTOWN and DeBeards like this.