1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have NO cap room right now! But next year...!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 28, 2001.

1. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

Yes, you only lose Bird Rights when you switch teams or are renounced. Bird Rights are not dependent of type of contract. They are merely a reward to the team and player if they stay together.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Heyp-
    Gotta agree with you. Very creative. I bet (don't get any ideas) Rudy has given this some thought.

Dream and Mo will both be on the team next year.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

3. hugh mungus

hugh mungus Member

timing-

excellent take. nice to see someone watches the other teams' games without their rockets' pajamas on.

------------------

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rogers is reported to have a team option by most sources, and heard the same on 610 today. Off the top of my head, it's for 2.6 million. I think opting against Los, and renouncing him is as sure a thing as the club picking up Langhi's option.

I think even if we get only under by 6 mill, we'd renounce our exceptions. Which is more valuable, 1 6 mill slot, that can be broken however or a 4.5 mill slot, a 1.2 mill slot, and a trade exception.

Criscopee-you'll like Griff. He has an "unstoppable" fadeaway a la Wallace.

I think partner is right. Mo and Hakeem now, with 10 mill more next year (even with no major free agents right now) is better than Webber now, and no center solution this year

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I laugh at you people trying to get all these guys under the cap, its not happening. But I have the answer. Simply Joe Smith Dream and Taylor and the Rockets will be fine. Mooch can have in on it too. Still plenty left for Webber.

6. playahata

playahata Member

Cat, Steve, Eddie. That should be enough talent in a few years with the addition of a solid post presence. I believe u need 2 stars and a bunch of bad ass role players. I have no idea what we do now to get some post strength.

------------------

7. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

playata,

saying we have no post strength is an insult to Eddie Griffin. I hope he punches you.

8. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I like Jeff's take on a two year deal for Dream, with the team option on the 2nd year.

But no way 6.5 million a season. Hakeem is not worth that, and I do not think that any team is going to give him more than the exception. If he is not willing to take the team discount, for the benefit of the Rockets, then lets show him the door. I would love to have Dream back, but not at the cost of the Rockets future.

Look at David Robinson, he is in much better shape than Hakeem and he has already stated that he would take a discount for the team.

Taylor will only stay if we give him a long term contract. He is considered the #2 Free agent this year at PF. Somebody will definately make him a long term offer, if Houston won't.

------------------

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Robinson's salary with discount will be way over 6 million. Dream is definitely worth over 6 million if its only for one year. I think he is good for at least 12 and 9 this year and he still plays killer D.

------------------

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I may have missed something here, but is Shandon definitely not interested? Or is he just not interesting?

Would we be that disappointed if he were willing to re-sign and play the backup SG role?

From reading comments made by CD and SA's agent, I got the impression that he may like to stay in Houston. Surely he's worth an early bird contract - which is probably what Mo should be offered (as stated by HeyP earlier).

I also thought that we had to re-sign Dream for 16million(or in that vicinity) or renounce him - is that way out?

------------------

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

3. Sign Mo' to a Middle Class right away, and then let Dream go to Free Agent to get him off the books....would you do that? How much cap room is created? Not enough for Webber, but maybe Davis?

Why bother signing Taylor to an exception if you're just going to turn around and renounce Hakeem. That scenario is no differenct cap wise that renouncing Hakeem and then signing Taylor with cap room. Remember that exception contracts still count against team salary. The exceptions just allow you to exceed the cap.

Here's an example:

- Let's say that we've got $30M in salary not counting Hakeem and Taylor, but with Hakeem's cap hold we're over the cap (let's assume $42M) so we still have our exceptions.

- We now sign Taylor for a $4.5M exception. This puts us even farther over the cap but it's allowed due to the exception. Now our total salary, excluding Hakeem is $30M + $4.5M= $34.5M

- We now renounce Hakeem. Our total salary is now $34.5M. We're far enough under the cap to lose our exceptions. The cap space we have left is $42M - $34.5M = $7.5M

- That's exactly the same number that you'd get if you first renounced Hakeem and then resigned Taylor with your cap space.

------------------

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Up to the top, so no more questions on how much cap we have.

The Chronicle reported that CD confirmed the fact that Los has been let go (didn't exercise option).

15.855743 million left to play with if the cap is at 42 million. Francis, Mobley, Langhi, Cato, Maloney, Moochie, Collier, Walt, Morris, Kenny and Griffin are covered under that. Subtract 2.86 million from that amount if you plan on covering Shandon through early bird.

Before you ask, Webber's max is 12.6 million. If you sign him, that leaves about 3.255 million left. No more dreams of a Hakeem-Webber-Griffin front line unless you can mortgage off Walt or Cato. Cancel any hope for Marc Jackson as GSW could meet that amount. If you're down to 3.255, the best hope you have is to use it like a trade exception, as the rest of the league will be armed with 4.5 mill MCE.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

First of all, sorry for starting a new thread, I had not seen this one.

Is it correct that MOOCHIE is already covered under that? That would help a bit, but I would find it strange, since he is a FA.

Webber's max is 12.6 mio. - ok. Is there no way at all to play with that, like having lower payments in the beginning and then higher ones in the end? I guess not, or you would have mentioned it [​IMG].

That would only leave 3 mio. to resign Hakeem, Moochie, Bull and pick up the Langhi option. Is that correct? What about Bird rights or something? What if we had a wink-wink deal with Hakeem like the one we had with Barkley - provided that he would like to play for two more years, why not give him 1 mio. now and a few more millions next year?

Anyway, if Webber's max is 12.6 and we have 15.6, I think we just have to go for it. If there was any way to create more cap room by moving Walt or Cato, it would be fantastic.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

14. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Contracts are structured a specific way. If we sign Webber to 12.6 million contract, he will get 10% pay increases. No way around it. If we S/T, base is still 12.6 mill, but he gets 12.5% pay increases, so more $$ over life of contract.

I included Moochie's unrenounced figure. Because Moochie has played with us 2 years, we can exceed the cap to resign him with an early bird contract. But that also means he will be one of the last moves we make. Basically, if we give him 4 mill now, he counts that against the cap. Or he counts against the cap 680K, and we give him 4 mill once we finish up the rest of our business.

As stated before, Dream can receive a 12.5% pay increase if we sign him to a 2 year contract. Based on his comments, 3 mill would not do. I sense that he wants a 2 year commitment, and a promise for more next year won't do, especially when teams like Miami and Utah could throw more money at him.

Though, if you wanted to be sneaky, you could give Hakeem 1 mill this year, and by not renouncing him, maintain his LBR, then give him 12 mill next year. You do run the risk of tampering, a la Joe Smith.

------------------

15. Rockmaniac

Rockmaniac Member

I think Hakeem will try to sign for 2 years. Maybe even 2 and the 3rd player option.

------------------

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

NIKEStrad, thanks for all the info.