1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to address wack shooting fouls in the off-season. Rocket Legends Harden & Olynyk faint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, May 14, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

the problem is the league is gonna intentionally swallow their whistles on harden now. And because most people hate harden nobody will care when they screw the nets next year. Nobody cares that we were screwed in 2018. Kyrie, Kd and Harden the most hated players in the league. This rule will be used by refs to swallow the whistle on the nets( and the nets wont be able to challenge a bad foul call) which gives the refs more power to control the outcome of games

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nets have Harden, KD, and Kyrie. If the refs swallowing their whistles is the difference between finals or no finals (assuming they're actually healthy this time) then that would be 100% pathetic.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Stop defending Harden so much lol. You doubting James ability to figure out different ways to scheme the system. He will definitely adapt to these changes and he will figure out another way to get the calls. The guy has insanely high IQ and has done a great job of scheming to how to maximize his efficiency on the court.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Exactly, that's what Harden does. He will find new ways to scheme the refs.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem is . . . 90% of the foul calls. . .are fouls
    and there is usually another 50% that are non calls that should have been called.

Rocket River

luckyman76 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's a difference between foul calls and foul calls that warrant shooting free throw's. The latter is what they're trying to fix and correct bc it's gotten to a point where players are going to line just by throwing their body around and all. And without a doubt it's much needed. A bunch of team usa players just got a reality check during the olympics when they've been so use to getting gimmicky calls and being awarded ft's off them. Didn't happen much the last 2 weeks. It needs to go back to that or at least regress a bit towards it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. HardenVolumeOne

yep, harden is not getting any gimmies, he attacks the basket and leads the league in drives per game routinely. These new rules are gonna be used as a way to not blow the whistle on even more hacks he gets

luckyman76 and Rocket River like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I didn't watch the games so I will take your word for it

I am not one to allow overly aggressive defense. . .which is blatant hacking and fouling
    but calling it "tough defense"
    I am esp annoyed when they pick and choose which players are allowed to foul or be fouled

This is my biggest pet peeve in the playoffs
    (yes I am still a Harden fan and cannot imagine why EVERYONE's free throws rise in the play offs. . .except his
    and he is just as if not more aggressive. . . to me that will always be bullshit.)

How the refs call the fouls literally picks winners and losers
    Balance out calls in the 4th are bullshit too
    (I gave capela 4 fouls in the first but did not call any more on him the rest of the game. . . i let him play
    yea well 4 in the first changes the whole f*cking game Scottie Foster!!)

(but I called 4 fouls on this guy in the fourth . . .. . .
    yea when they were up by 60. . . . .. . . )

When matters as much as how many

Honestly . . . I want to see how this plays out but I suspect SOME people will get the calls .. . others will not
    Steph might get that foul call . . .meanwhile Trai will not . . .
    and it will depend on who is defending and their "reputations" as a defender .

Rocket River

luckyman76 and clos4life like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

There’s a balance there somewhere. The point is to find it somehow or atleast work towards it. And the league definitely needs to find it bc at this point players baiting calls to get to the free throw line is at a point where it’s pretty ridiculous. Again it’s one thing to call a foul when it is. It’s another to award free throws on a play that has no business doing so. There’s way too many of these. Anyone who just watched fiba plays and the nba calls see a glaring difference

blahblehblah likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Every league will have its differences.
    The US got the gold even with those rules
    which tells me they can play that way

I suspect there is differences between nba/wnba/fiba/womans fiba/austrailian league/Euro league/etc

Rocket River

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ONE MORE THING
    I think the biggest thing in the NBA is that the rules should apply equally to everyone on every play

Rocket River

HardenVolumeOne and clos4life like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

US getting gold has nothing to do with what i posted. In case you didn't notice, the games are alot closer and players were visibly bothered by the difference. And a ton of players struggled. But I mean you just said you didn't watch so you obviously don't know and are speaking from a complete dark space

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They won
    so the differences were not Insurmountable
    Obviously

Rocket River

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what. the differences were still significant. saying they won doesn't just make everything disappear. it took KD being KD for them to win, the one with the most experience. quit making yourself sound ignorant when you obviously said you didn't watch

15. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I'm a Harden stan but 90% of the fouls are definitely not fouls.
    Defenders have long been taught not to try to strip Harden's drive. Most of Harden's fouls come from

1. him hooking players then going into shooting motion
    2. him running into defenders then going into layup motion
    3. step back then jump forward 3 point shooting motion to land onto defenders area

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

No more Harden hooking defenders shenanigan. No more Trae Young stopping then flopping to the FT line. No more pumpfake then jump into defender for Ft. Maybe the NBA will actually be watchable now.

Expect scoring to go waaaaay down especially for ball dominant superstar scorers.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am all for getting rid of non-basketball moves to get foul calls. I've always hated those.

YOLO likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

James Harden just finished averaging 25 ppg on 17 shot attempts and only 7 free throws a game with BK, and this was with him not being in optimal shape

against Boston in the 1st round he averaged 28 on 14 shots and 8 free throws

KD and Kyrie can easily drop 30+ while barely getting to the line because they are supreme shooters and shot makers

he and the Nets will be fine

clos4life and YOLO like this.
  19. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Difference is that MJ or Kobe doesn't look to draw fouls as their primary goal on any possessions. They're always looking to score. Harden, as great as he is, is always looking for ways to fish for cheap fouls. Sometimes it can feel he wants to go to the FT line more than he wants to score. I blame Morey. Analytics convinced Harden that the FT line is the most effective way of scoring and thats forever ingrained in his mind. He's a generational talent with exceptional IQ. He doesn't need it. Hopefully this will force him to drop all this BS.

Case in point:

Easy likes this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Harden will adjust and still be in MVP form. The crucial calls will be swallowed by the refs during the playoffs, as we saw for 8 years. Lots and lots of legitimate fouls will be overlooked.

I guess at least it's not our problem anymore.

Rocket River likes this.