1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jul 19, 2021.

1. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The only players since the merger to average a combined 47 pts-reb-ast in a finals series are Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, Dream, Shaq, Magic and now Giannis. For a guy to go from selling DVDs on the streets of Greece between practice to feed his brothers to where he is right now is an incredible story. Also, this is the guy who straight up rejected superteam culture and locked up with a small market team. I know he had beef with Harden and that his game is simplistic but there's no way I can't appreciate what he's done.

#21 lakersuck2, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I dunno, I’m excited to see guys like Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, and Jrue win it instead of the usual suspects. This playoffs has been a breath of fresh air, a chance to see some other really talented players get a chance on the big stage. LeBron’s a great player, but he’s not the ONLY great player.

You can like Giannis or not like him. But he’s effective and he plays really hard. I don’t see why the way he plays(or the level of skill he has) is that different from Westbrook, or even Shaq for that matter. Nobody is saying Shaq is not a superstar just because he’s not a shooter. For all the **** he gets on this board, I actually think Giannis is more coordinated and skilled than you would think. He is pretty effective on post ups and in the mid-range. He is actually a pretty good passer too.

#22 Patience, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    ilias, Pringles, Easy and 6 others like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

The whole "he's not skilled" thing is one of the dumbest narratives to come through the NBA. There are ton of big bodies and crazy athletes who've played in the NBA over the last many decades. If it was so easy, a bunch of them would have been uber-successful too.

jsingles, jiggyfly, Mr Woods and 4 others like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The officiating is a big part of it. Think about if Yao was officiated like giannis, how much better he would’ve been.

slothy420 and BamBam like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Right, because Yao and Giannis are so similar ...

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

GO SUNS!!!!

HP3 and FrontRunner like this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I've never had any reason to bash Giannis at all. So, I've always respected his game and he seems like a great guy. The beef between him and Harden is ... a beef. I don't even remember Giannis having the first word in that. I'll leave at that.

He's done very well for himself on a very small market team. He's already 7 feet and 250 pounds and lighting fast, he does not need to do much as a guard to be effective. For someone his size. he's exceptionally talented, even for all-star/all-time big men, he can dribble and shoot as well, if not better than the average 7 footer (now/past NBA). He's pretty good passer for a 7 footer. Moreover, people will criticize him for being too much, like guard, yet other people will criticize for using his brute strength and physical gifts to dominate his opponents. :rolleyes:

He's the future of the game, along with Luka, Jokic, Trae, Fox, Morant, and a few others.

JayGoogle, Patience and Easy like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao did fine in the playoffs he just got hurt all the time.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's having a crazy finals.

But also **** this guy. If CP3 finishes the choke job of this series idk who I'll hate more CP3 or Giannis.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

His journey and story to the NBA is an inspirational one. Growing up in poverty in Greece, where he wasn't even a citizen. Selling watches and bags on the streets as a child. Sharing basketball shoes with his brothers to play in. Not playing basketball till the age of 12. This tall lanky and skinny kid would eventually be a 2 time MVP and perhaps a champion in the NBA is an incredible story.

ilias, JayGoogle, Patience and 2 others like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It is if the player is still moving and not square. Those are fouls.

12. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

Giannis lineage is from the same ethnic group in Nigeria as Hakeem Olajuwon. His father played soccer in Nigeria. Their last name is derived from their yoruba name AdeTokunbo

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He earned my respect during that Nets series.

beardsanity713, Patience and hakeem94 like this.
  14. H.D.

H.D. Member

Please don't act like the NBA is a church league. A player does not have to be set in stone to have established position in terms of a collision.

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No, but he must be square, ie can’t be moving laterally.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good point. If he was a finesse player, haters would say that he was soft and shy from contact.

Another funny thing is that some people call him a dirty player while rooting for Chris Paul who has had the dirty reputation for all his career.

Personally I prefer the finesse style over the physical style. But I don't dismiss his accomplishment just because he utilizes his physical advantage.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Magic did it in 1987

So maybe that stat is since 1980 when Jabbar last did it, and they just forgot Magic, because ...

Bob Pettit did it twice
    Russell did it five times
    Elgin Baylor did it twice
    Wilt did it three times
    Rick Barry did it
    Jerry West did it

Honorable Mention
    Moses did 46 in a fo-0 rout, probably gets it if games were closer
    Bird did 46.6 thru 6 games, and 45 for whole 7 GM series

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of the greatest threads on Clutchfans in a long time.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You’re talking secondary/help defenders. Primary defenders are allowed their space while moving. Just bc a dribbler has a primary defender shuffling his feet does not mean he can then drive into his body, since the defender has beaten him to that spot ... still moving or not ...the defender owns that space, rule is different for help defenders.

Not to say this is about your exchange wrt Giannis ... just saying there are two rules that govern defending while moving — One for primary defenders and one for the help defenders.

ElPigto likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Thanks for the fact check lol I just got that from the BS pod this morning. Went back and checked and he did say post merger so I guess he just missed Magic. Still elite company for someone like Giannis especially at his age.