1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 3, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

The only way I'd do this is if they're taking Wall or Gordon back and/or giving us first rounders to take him. The guy's contract is bad ($101.5M over three years). It's not Westbrook or Wall level terrible, but it's bad enough that any team that trades for him will want firsts or for Dallas to take a bad contract or two in return.

On top of that, I just think he's a bad fit on this team. You're going to pair your young offensive-minded, oft-injured big who can't defend with another young offensive-minded, oft-injured big who can't defend. It would be the softest front court in the league. And his contract would prevent Houston from being able to really maneuver or add pieces the next three years. I'm going to pass.

roslolian, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  2. mightybosstone

I think it depends on what you think of Cade. If you see Cade as a generational talent, a guaranteed All-Star with potential to be a top 5-10 guy in the league, no way to make that deal. If you're on the fence, you'd have to seriously consider it.

3. Landry's Tooth

It's a fair point but if you know what you're doing the slot is almost irrelevant. Is Kawhi transcendent? Giannis?

They weren't even lottery picks...

Not saying it's likely, just depends on who has the right evaluation...

D-rock likes this.
  4. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

I would be shocked if true but just heard from someone with minimal credibility that the Rockets have discussed a deal with Pistons and Pacers that would send Gordon + Another Player + 23rd or 24th to Indiana. Indiana would send Myles Turner to Houston and the 13th pick to Detroit. Detroit and Houston would swap their top picks.

I am not an insider by any means. Just know a former Houston Sports Media personality who still hears rumbles here and there. Take it for what it is worth.

Corrosion, stevel, saleem and 4 others like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That another player would have to be Wood for it to be remotely close on value

roslolian likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its just discussion lol doesnt mstter if true or not any GM can discuss anything doesnt mean it gets traction

7. DustinS

I obviously know that. Just sharing the information. Again… Take it for what it’s worth. Which is not much.

Corrosion, jch1911 and ROXTXIA like this.
  8. DustinS

Wood would be an over pay for Turner.

I was trying to gauge Turners trade value so I went to Pacers Digest and their Reddit board. In their fans perspective (which means nothing to a front office) his value is all over the place. A few members agreed that they would be happy to receive two second rounders. Others thought he could net a decent young role player and a late first.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah except I doubt Indiana does that for CWood. Losing Myles Turner and the 13th for Cwood, EG and 23rd seems like a raw deal.

I'd be happy for the Rox in that deal lol you get Cade and also clear salary for LTS without losing any picks besides the 23rd.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah Wood + Sabonis would be a train wreck on D

I think Wood and Turner have similar value, while Wood is a superior offensive player Turner is a much superior defensive player

and we aren't talking about a straight swap, your saying

Gordon - a negative contract, and a late 1st, for a lottery pick, and then Turner

There would need to be multiple future 1st, and or a player of Woods caliber to balance out the deal

Assuming something like Gordon, House + 23 for 13 and Turner would be an insanely lopsided deal

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Plus Indiana already has Sabonis which is like a clone of CWood. I can see Houston trading for the 13th though (like Detroit+23rd) and then trading 13th+2nd for 1st. Maybe that gets it done. Although tbh I'd rather keep that pick maybe we end with Sengun, Jones or w/e.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wait a minute now, Sabonis and Wood are totally different players, but before we start arguing in 2 threads about 2 player comparisons, I'm gonna dip from the forum, gnight!

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

They are both offensively oriented PFs with weak D.

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

That almost sounds like a dream scenario...
    IND: Gordon + 23/24 + ??? (Bradley? House? Tate?)
    DET: 2 + 13
    HOU: Turner + 1

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wish it was a way we could get Kispert with one of the later picks.

16. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

The only thing that makes sense with that deal would be Tate.

Looks like we're commited to Wood.

As much as i love Turner.. Wood is a much better player. Myles defense is good. But hes also not that great at much else apart from protecting the paint. He struggles on the perimeter which is something defensive bigs needs to do more and more of (unless your Rudy Gobert for some reason).

Wood was a borderline All Star player before his injury.

Turner only played 6 more games than Wood this year as well.

Just wanted to throw that out there when comparing Wood and Turner.

Now them together.. thats interesting.

17. fattz

fattz Member

#2 #23 #24 Wall & Tate
    For
    #5 Barnes #8 Sengun #12 Bouknight #32 Bassey
    We get 2 way players with size. Shooting & Defense.
    -Barnes has the highest upside in the draft.
    -Sengan is a child MVP in a grownups’ league.
    -Bouknight is this draft’s sleeper and best shooter, IMO.
    -#32 Bassey backup 5
    -moves Wall

Magic
    #5 & #8
    For
    Get a top tier player—> Mobley replacement for Vac.

Pacers
    For
    Tate & #23
    Gets a 1st team all-rookie (sure thing on a team friendly contract) & chance to add depth.

NYK
    For
    Wall & #24
    Turn a SRP into a FRP & “franchise player“

#57 fattz, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  18. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Like.. i get it.. i would rather roll the dice on Green going forward.

Honestly think Green can be a superstar if he hits his ceiling.

fattz likes this.
  19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Rockets in - Kevin Love, Kevon Looney, #3.

Rockets out - Wood, Gordon, #23, #24, 2023 Milwaukee unprotected pick, 2023 Houston unprotected pick (ouch).

Warriors in - Wood, #24

Warriors out - Wiseman, Looney, #7

Cavs in - Gordon, Wiseman, #7, #23, 2023 Milwaukee unprotected pick, 2023 Houston unprotected pick

-----------------------

- Warriors

They get the perfect 5 for them, by giving up a #2 pick last year, who by all meassures underperformed. Its probably not fair to judge after 1 year, but if the Warriors want to compete they need a guy who could help now. And the #7 pick this year. May be a steep price, but Wood is that good. On a team friendly contract, and fits in just under the salary they send out (Wiseman + Looneys PO).
    They hold onto 14, and get 24 aswell.
    If, and its a big if, they want to move off Wiggins salary using 14 and 24 will make it easier to do (Spurs are right there.. just saying)

Starting line up:

Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond/Wood

- Cavs

This will be a bit harder to justify.
    They get Wiseman, which means not having to pay JA the $25m he's looking for this off season. Yes they miss out on Mobley, but Wiseman AND whoever they get at 7 is a nice make good. You hope that Scottie Barnes is still there. But alternatively Moses Moody would be perfect on this team too. You move off of Loves contract for one that is not garunteed in the 3rd year (if waves before July 2023 and a bunch of other caveats that wont convey), and is about $15m cheaper. Gordon does help releive some pressue if they find a trade partner for Sexton with Garland at the 1 and Gordon at the 2. Then they also get a bunch of extra draft capital.
    Phew. Its a bit to take in, but for essentially Evan Mobley, thats a pretty decent return.

Starting line up:

Garland/Gordon(or Okoro)/Barnes(or Moody)/Nance/Wiseman

- Rockets

Well. Yeah. Evan Mobley.

Starting line up:

KPJ/Green/Tate/Love/Mobley

sydmill likes this.
  20. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, thats a deal you'll only find on a rockets forum. Pacers would drop 10 spots in the draft, give up the best player in the trade with a good contract for the worst with a terrible contract, and get a journey man 3/d thats solid but not hard to find similar in free agency. . this hardly makes sense for them financially or on the court