1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How players will be used in next year's offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tacoma park legend, Jun 28, 2001.

1. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

With next year's roster pretty much intact, I thought I would give my take on how I think the players on this team will be used in the offensive system.

I don't expect Webber to be here. I don't see Cato getting traded this offseason, and the signing of a Marc Jackson isn't going to change the basic concepts of the system.

Also, if Olajuwon resigns, I hope he can somehow rekindle his defensive fire, because that's all this team needs from him. At this point in his career, he is not an inside presence offensively, and he is not a player who deserves more than 10-12 touches a night. I'll go ahead and assume that Dream is still on the team.

Mo Taylor
    • Like last year, you use Mo on the lower left block where he's most comfortable
    • Off of Mobley/Francis double team's, he'll have easy scoring opportunities shooting the midrange jumpers off of quick ballmovement around the key
    • Still let him stick to his face up game, because with the zone rules coming into effect that increase the effectiveness of team defense, it will be harder for bigmen to power it inside, and besides, that's not Mo's strong suit anyways.
    • His role isn't much different IMO, but I could see the Rockets putting his passing skills to better use by positioning him around the free throw line area and letting him make the pass to Francis/Mobley coming off of low double screens along the baseline.

Cuttino Mobley
    • Cuttino likes to set up on the right side, so I expect him to stay on this side with most of his shots coming off of picks or quick ball movement from the left wing, to post, to Cuttino for a shot.
    • There won't be anymore typical ISO's with him using too much of the clock. With the new rules it's going to be pointless to milk the clock when ISO'ing to spread the floor more, so if he goes one on one, he has to make a decisive move to the hoop.
    • Barring any double teams, I see him driving to his right more often next season to avoid the immediate help defense that he would find if he went to his left.

Steve Francis
    • Steve will be in a role similar to Cuttino's when he plays off guard, but I envision him setting up on the left side as opposed to the right side with Cuttino.
    • His midrange game will be put to good use, because full penetration is going to be close to impossible next year, so those 10-15 foot shots will be available for him.
    • I see him involved alot of high pick and rolls, with him not drifting to the corner on any offensive sets. With the high sets, I mean I see our post men setting up on opposite ends of the freethrow line with Steve being able to decide which pick he wants to use.
    • I expect him to still shoot a high number of 3's next year off of post initiated double teams, not so much off of the pick and roll

Eddie Griffin
    • I can see him being posted up against smaller 3's. He has a quick release ,ala Antwan Jamison in the post, which will make him effecive in the post against the zone.
    • I can definitely see him coming off of picks like the Bucks do with Glenn Robinson
    • When they swing the ball around the horn, I can see him as a guy that they expect to break down the defense and attack the crease.
    • He'll probably patrol the corners so he has the advantage on the defender when he crashes the boards, and he'll be able to pop out for easy jumpers.

Dream
    • 10-12 touches a game
    • Set up right below the top of the key so he's got some room to operate and can dance on his defender.
    • Should see some dream shakes from the left block again. Other than that, I don't see him being an integral part of the system.

Kenny Thomas
    • I think you could see a Kenny, E-Griff, Mo frontline at times, which would allow Kenny to post up smaller 3's
    • He would set up alot around the freethrow line area so we could put his passing skills to use. He's the best instinctive passing big man on the team. He would be perfect at hitting players in the corner off of quick turn and fires or hittin our guards off double screens.
    • Like Griffin, I can see him roaming the baseline. He moves well without the ball, and seems to have a knack for finding the open spot and getting offensive rebounds.

Moochie
    • He'll change the pace of the game as usual, and I expect his minutes to go up next year.
    • Expect NO Iso's from him next year. I see him quarterbacking the offense from the top of the key, with him hardly ever wandering near the sidelines. Against a zone, in general, you don't want your point guard gettng trapped in the corners.
    • I see him going to his left alot and hitting Francis or Mo/Griffin/Kenny for easy buckets.

Dan Langhi
    • With Griffin and Morris now Rockets, I don't see Langhi as having much of an impact next year.
    • He'll be a spot role player who will be brought in in certain situations. I see him being on the left side alot hitting the midrange jumper in the weak spot of the zone along the baseline.
    • Like other players, I see him being set up in the corners so he can crash the boards more easily.

Thoughts?

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

2. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

Mobley's scoring will sky-rocket now that tall SF's like Sprewell can't guard him anymore.

I look for at least 22ppg from the SG spot, while Francis excels in his studies as a PG with more classic across-the-board PG numbers at a steady 18-19ppg like Isiah.

3. alaskansnowman

Good post tpl. I pretty much agree with you.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

ChrisPee, I like your insight. You have a future here.

<font size="-20">:p</font>

5. haven

haven Member

TPL: Terrific post. Meant to reply last night, but my freakin' spacebar is broken at home [​IMG].

I think we're going to see more offensive focus in Mo next year. I wouldn't be surprised, as you said, to see Taylor set up on the block more than expected. The perimeter game is nice, but driving will be harder with the zone, and Taylor passes well enough to do some direction. He gives us so many options there - shoot the J if his defender doesn't stick on him, spin towards the basket... hopefully drawing Griffin's defender for a dish and dunk... pass out. Mo's versatility and unselfishness makes him special for us.

I think its essential that Cuttino work on his jump shot. He was a dangerous at times, but not at all lethal shooter last year. The help defense you mentioned with the zone is going to compensate for the protection that Griffin affords Mobley. Against very good defensive teams (Philly comes to mind) Mobley will need a jumper to be falling. I think Mo will be useful to Mobley this year, since a pass from the block could prevent the double team.

I actually am hoping for one thing from Francis next year- improvement of his mid-range game. Hopefully, he'll hold the ball less and pass if he doesn't have the a shot. All those above the rim driving plays are nice, but it's playing with fire. I don't want Stevie Franchise out with a broken ankle. Hence, more dishing and more stop-and-pops.

To be honest, I haven't seen a ton of Eddie Griffin. I watched the BC - Seton Hall games... and that was it. Swarm defense seemed to unnerve him... but on the Rockets, that shouldn't be a problem. He looked quite good in the post, but didn't take too many great perimeter shots. He played great help defense, but I thought his man-to-man was a bit lacking (of course, they had him guard Ryan Sidney, a much faster player, for most of the first game).

This year, I hope to see him as our 2nd post presence, and someone who can make the defense pay for cheating. I also want putbacks. Not sure how he fits in strategy, too much, other than compensating for Mo's weaknesses.

I don't think Dream will return, so I'll ignore him.

I'm afraid we'll see a diminishing of KT's role even as his game expands. I think he was finally improving on offense towards the end of the year and learning his limitations. I just don't see that much posting-up for Kenny, and am not sure i fhe's a good enough jump shooter to make it on his own. I love Kenny's footwork... I'm really rooting for him to learn to finish better. If he can do that, he could develop a role similar to Othella's old one.

I'm really curious to konw how much SG Francis will play next year. Moochie is a far superior floor manager than Francis. But with Griffin, I can't imagine the 3 guard line-up CP (new acronym!) envisioned that often. Maybe when Griffin sits? In any event, I think Moochie's going to be Griffin's new best friend, since Moochie has the instincts and passing skills to take advantage of Griffin's athleticism, especially on the break. Perfect guy to help Eddie get involved on the Rockets. I wish Moochie had been here with Pippen...

Langhi/Morris:

I think these guys are going to have the hottest duel for a major role with the team. I don't se Griffin playing more than 25-30 minutes a night until he bulks up more, so one of these guys is going to get some significant minutes. Langhi shoots better, but is less versatile. Ultimately, I htink Morris might have better chemistry (walt, Steve) as well as better defense. So if Morris can hit the 3 consistently (remember, big if, only 28.9% in college last year) he'll be the SF off the bench if we don't go to the 3 guard lineup.

What I'm excited about most this year: depth! If we resign Mo, Shandon, and Moochie, Houston will have a 2nd team that can be competitive.

KT, Morris, Moochie, Anderson, and Collier makes for an absolutely fabulous group that I could see holding their own against many other starter/sub combinations. The Rockets haven't had this kind of depth... well, ever.

Most of these guys are capable of starting any given night and playing significant minutes. And since we all know how Rudy loves getting match-up advantages, I could really see some odd-and changing lineups, depending on who Houston plays. Can't wait to see the fun.

------------------
    Don't let those uppity newbies get away with acting like vets...

...all newbies are equal, remember that.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 29, 2001).]

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Mobley's scoring will sky-rocket now that tall SF's like Sprewell can't guard him anymore

I've heard this argument before, but I don't see it. If teams are going to run a zone next year, it will be a matchup zone, with players guarding an area.

The fact that the Rockets now have a legit small forward won't change this. The only way this benefits us is if a team goes man to man, and next year I don't expect any true all out man to man defenses.

Mobley's scoring will increase, but it won't be a direct correlation to the fact that we have now have flexibility at the small forward spot.

I think we're going to see more offensive focus in Mo next year

I agree, but I hope they don't go to him so early in the game next season. He's a player that should be fed the ball sporadically or when he's hot. I'd much rather see pick and rolls with our guards be the first few sets of the game.

I think its essential that Cuttino work on his jump shot

Exactly. I still remember Cuttino sticking that jumper against the Lakers to seal the win 2 years ago. He can put the defender on his heels with his quickness, so the jumper is there for him at all times.

We could see the best midrange shooting backcourt in the league next year if both of them work on this aspect of their games.

I actually am hoping for one thing from Francis next year- improvement of his mid-range game

He actually has a very good midrange game, but I would like to see him work on developing a floater and runner.

With the old perimeter touching rules now gone, players are going to think that they can play up on Steve, but this will just allow him to blow by them for the easy midrange jumper.

It will also allow him more freedom on the perimiter defensively. He got alot of stupid fouls on the perimeter last season, and with his lateral quickness, I feel he can become a great on the ball defender if he puts his mind to it.

I don't think the Rockets will ask Griffin to be a creator his rookie year. He'll probably be the beneficiary of Francis/Mobley/Norris drives. His defensive presence is the thing I'm most excited about.

I just don't see that much posting-up for Kenny

Yea, I shouldn't have said posted up. What I meant by that was that I envision Kenny recieving the ball along the baseline for layups where he can overpower the smaller defender. At 260 or so, Kenny can bang in there.

I'm really curious to konw how much SG Francis will play next year

I'm not sure, but thinking from a logical standpoint, it makes sense to play Francis at the 2 more often considering Rudy has made it clear he wants to attack the zone. However, IMO, Francis is a better scorer from the point, because Moochie doesn't really look for him that often when he plays shooting guard.

Langhi/Morris:I think these guys are going to have the hottest duel for a major role with the team

I definitely agree on this. I expect them to see equal time, with Rudy using one or the other based on matchups.

What I'm excited about most this year: depth!

Bingo. Now the Rockets actually have a true rotation to work with, and the number of possible lineups is endless.

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited June 29, 2001).]

7. Franchisedream

DearRock- I like the Dream, Griffen, Morris, Mobely, Francis line up some of the time.

I would also like to see more movement off the ball, with screens off the ball and cutters going to the basket, and more backdoor easy baskets.

------------------

8. haven

haven Member

TPL: I agree... Francis has a good mid-range game. This is increasingly rare, though, and I think he should make it his trade-mark. A player with great athleticism AND a mid-range jumper is deadly and hard to find. The driving is nice... but plenty can do that. It's Francis ability to throw off his man, and then hit the jumper that makes him special. Remember when he crossed over that poor guy and then shot a wide-open jumper (Tony Delk, maybe?). Probably my favorite highlight of last year.

I'd like to see him develop a runner as well, of course. But I think his name could be made with the above.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited June 29, 2001).]

9. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

One thing that I think a lot of people are overlooking is Collier. His picks are what set up Francis and Mobley. Hakeem and Maurice's picks aren't near as effective. If he can hit the 18' jump shot consistently, he will be a huge bonus for the Rocks'. He won't be as effective as Dream on the defensive side but I bet he's better than Cato.

All I know is that when Jason was getting involved before his injury, our offense looked better than it ever has.

One other thing that I think needs to be worked on is Cuttino. At times it seemed as if the other teams were able to shut him down by cutting off his drives to his left. They need to come up with some better options when he's doubled to his left. Perhaps Crispee (how I thought it should have been speeled) has some ideas.

------------------

10. PurvisShort

PurvisShort Member

we will spread the opposing team thin in terms of man-to-man defenders, so team D will have to make up. all about the team D, especially now.

sprewell is long, but not towering as previously talked about in this thread. he's 6'5'' and cuttino is 6'4''. spree used to be a SG but is versatile enough to play the 3, esp in the east.

------------------
    purvis was never short.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

So you guys have Bullard and Rodgers being cut or traded?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rocketsauce,

the other spelling is an inside joke for Crisco. But I agree about this spelling.

I don't see any problem whatsoever with Mobley going to his strong hand. You guys are merely witnessing the awesome firepower of Cuttino ... you CANNOT let him go left, and his right move to the baseline has 101 different finishes. The guy is a machine. Don't count on him being easy to stop simply by overplaying him.

What we will see is Mobley committing much sooner (like in 4 on 4 transition or from the weakside), as he was doing towards the latter part of the year. To me, it is contradictory to say a zone has to be beat by penetration on the one hand, and on the other hand to say Mobley is going to be stopped from penetrating. Not going to happen. He is still going to be our best penetrator with those looooong arms of sheer utter raw speed.

You still must stop him from going left. I'm not talking ISO here against a zone; I am merely talking penetration to collapse the D on him. That in itself is an accomplishment, and with no weak shooters like Shandon, he should be able to find an open man easier. Mobley will improve in his decision making once he gets by the initial man, because Rudy will stress that and practice it... "watch out for a packed in lane". The zone might stop him going all the way to the basket...but don't you think penetration is still a great thing to have?

Overall for the team, I look for secondary breaks to score quickly based on speed, athleticism and great shooting. Hit them before the zone sets. Also, I look for different looks on the weakside. With Eddie likely starting over SA and Walt, we can now move Cat to the weakside wing for 1st weakside option and Eddie on the baseline for backdoors...*dont lose him boyz*....this is a better pnr set-up for Stevie to run with Mo', imo.

We can also start giving Mobley more of the weakside plays Walt ran. That again is difficult to cover when he is slipping passed Eddie's double screen while Stevie is threatening with the dribble on the strongside....*dont lose site of Eddie, boyz*

Basically, we have a 4-pronged attack and 5 with Dream. I expect quite a lot more weakside activity player motion being initiated by strongside Mobley or Francis pnr.

We also have the ability to run the zipper offense of the Kings whereby Stevie or Moochie does a dribble entry from the top of the key facing a double high post with Dream and Mo', and Eddie again looking for a backdoor and Mobley being a weakside safety valve. I love that offense, we know have the perfect personnel for it, and it is designed for zone.

Lastly, look for many structured alley-oop plays for Eddie.

13. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I really like this thread. I'm particularly interested in more discussion about how Eddie Griffin and Mo Taylor complement each other. I've never see Griffin play, so I'm interested in other people's opinions.

------------------

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

At some point during the game I would love to see Dream, Griffin, Morris, Francis and Mobley take a run.

------------------