1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Webber Necessary Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 28, 2001.

1. bigmike_oh

bigmike_oh Member

i don't see what is wrong with ya'll. True , we might end up makin the playoffs anyways, but what then. Chris Webber is that last link that we need to be a championship team. Right now, we are real good, but so are alot of teams in the west. Maybe griffen can make up for rebounding for taylor, but webber will get his rebounds. With webber and griffen, we are a much better rebounding team. Need him, not really, but if we want to win it all, it might be necesarry

------------------
    oh

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

umm...hope you are kidding, but I'll take Rudy.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think the jury is out on every draft pick. But, I'm curious to hear who you think will have a beter career then Griffin.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

Desert Scar,

Forget the scare tactics of others preceding me, the point is to first take a look at next year's free agent crop, before deciding. Cap room does not go away unless you spend it. You can defer spending it until next year and still sign Mo, Dream and Moochie.

Before you write off those three for Webber, first take a look at next year's FA crop! You know, like don't pick Deshawn Stephenson last year, trade down for Collier and take Eddie Griffin this year.

You wildmen just want to spend cap money before you even have it! Shoot, shoot, shoot. Let me just shoot my wad without thinking.

5. alaskansnowman

Well, now that the Rockets themselves have said they won't really pursue Webber, I guess this debate is moot.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Necessary?....I don't know,but he brings the low post presence,both defensively and offensively.Chris,also can come outside and bust.As far as there not being enough ball to go around,I don't buy it.The guy hasn't won a title and wants to play with talented players.There is no reason I see why he wouldn't blend in his game for titles.The real issue in my mind with regard to Webber is how he affects the reupping of Dream.Mo T. has great enthusiasm,is young,and has a polished game.He's a perimeter scorer who at times can post up inside,but the D and rebounding aren't there(not for lack of effort)....heck of a player that would seem to fit nicely,but I want more defense out of that spot.This being said,if the Rockets can somehow get Webber to take less on the frontend of his contract and then are able to placate Dream,I have to bid farewell to MoTay.The logic of reupping MO and Dream is sound...We can have more though.We need more,if we're going to take down the Lakers anytime soon.Eddie's only 19 and should be a superstar..Let's compete and also give him time to develop.Also,if Dream goes down for any amount of time,the Rockets really need CW that much more....Either way the future is bright.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

7. ChrisPee

ChrisPee Member

But, but, I think they got that idea from this debate.

8. Plowman

Supporting Member

Necessary?....I don't know,but he brings the low post presence,both defensively and offensively.Chris,also can come outside and bust.As far as there not being enough ball to go around,I don't buy it.The guy hasn't won a title and wants to play with talented players.There is no reason I see why he wouldn't blend in his game for titles.The real issue in my mind with regard to Webber is how he affects the reupping of Dream.Mo T. has great enthusiasm,is young,and has a polished game.He's a perimeter scorer who at times can post up inside,but the D and rebounding aren't there(not for lack of effort)....heck of a player that would seem to fit nicely,but I want more defense out of that spot.This being said,if the Rockets can somehow get Webber to take less on the frontend of his contract and then are able to placate Dream,I have to bid farewell to MoTay.The logic of reupping MO and Dream is sound...We can have more though.We need more,if we're going to take down the Lakers anytime soon.Eddie's only 19 and should be a superstar..Let's compete and also give him time to develop.Also,if Dream goes down for any amount of time,the Rockets really need CW that much more....Either way the future is bright.

------------------

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Then apparently I wasn't coherent. Maybe the ****ing Rockets should reread my posts.

j/k.

gr8-1, I understand your misunderstanding b/c of the context of all of the preceding lines. What I meant to convey is that Rudy has handled egos before... and he seems to command much more respect than Dunleavey from his players.

10. Plowman

Supporting Member

Necessary?....I don't know,but he brings the low post presence,both defensively and offensively.Chris,also can come outside and bust.As far as there not being enough ball to go around,I don't buy it.The guy hasn't won a title and wants to play with talented players.There is no reason I see why he wouldn't subjogate his game for titles.The real issue in my mind with regard to Webber is how he affects the reupping of Dream.Mo T. has great enthusiasm,is young,and has a polished game.He's a perimeter scorer who at times can post up inside,but the D and rebounding aren't there(not for lack of effort)....heck of a player that would seem to fit nicely,but I want more defense out of that spot.This being said,if the Rockets can somehow get Webber to take less on the frontend of his contract and then are able to placate Dream,I have to bid farewell to MoTay.The logic of reupping MO and Dream is sound...We can have more though.We need more,if we're going to take down the Lakers anytime soon.Eddie's only 19 and should be a superstar..Let's compete and also give him time to develop.Also,if Dream goes down for any amount of time,the Rockets really need CW that much more....Either way the future is bright.

------------------

11. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Haven:I have griffin playing 20 minutes AT SF,10 more minutes at PF.That's 30 in total,aybe 35 if morris just plays 15 but I really think Morris will suprise many and will be a major part,you'll see him ther for matchups.Also,Rudy will put EG at the 4 because I think ,due to the lack of real dominant bigmen,we will have a lineup of c-taylor,pf-griffin,sf-morris,sg-cat,pg-wink in the future

------------------
    Bigamy is having one wife too many.Monogamy is the same :p

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Achebe, I am with you all the way on this one, this to me is a now brainer to pursue. Few risks (don't have to give up our own players), big potential payoff.

ChrisPee, OK then, I'll work from your framework. Let's see who is the best potential FA C or PF coming available before we run out of cap space (what, probably 2-3 years at the most, because if Mobley, Francis and Griffen continue to progress as we think, they will be getting big contracts that eat up our cap space)?????? I would be quite suprised if you would find a FA PF or C (which obviously will be our weakest positions) of Webber's quality and under 30. When you throw in other factors--Webber wants to leave, go to a contender, and the teams that have the FA players can offer bigger money for more years than other teams trying to acquire the FA, it just seems so unlikley we will have a better chance to get an equal or better player via free agency. I could be wrong, but I don't think Shaq, Garnett, McDyess, Brand, Duncan are near as realistic via FA as Webber is now.

Freak, the same argument of don't mess with "chemistry" tried to lapoon the Drexler trade and Barkley trade. We would not have won a 2nd title without the 1st trade, and IMO we would not have made the WC finals w/o the second one.

Also, Freak, my man, Webber is in his prime, and is strong, tall, long, skilled, quick and understands the game. Five of these 6 things don't deteriote, only quickness has a steep curve. Pippen and Barkley were way over the hill when we got them (though Barkley stil had quite productive years), and further didn't have Webbers height or length. Besides, if you could get a 29 year old Karl Malone or Barkley via FA would you not try to do it?? Of course you would. Even so, if we could have signed even what a 34 year Barley via FA instead of giving up players we probably would have more rings, but our choice wasn't that easy then (had to give up Cassell or Horry, among others). Webber may not be quite as good as those guys (pretty close though), but he is not Shawn Kemp either and has 3-4 years of outstanding productivity left (top 3 PF) and 3 or so more years of being a very good player (say top 10 PF).

The idea you can have to many great players is a myth. You can have too many over the hill players who once were stars, or too many selfish players, but I don't see Webber as being much a risk to us with a potentially incredible payoff. We are so lucky to be an a position to have a chance to get him at only a cost of money.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited June 29, 2001).]