1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS Mock draft just said Rockets picking Suggs LOL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jun 24, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

I respectfully disagree for all the reasons I mentioned above. He may be more athletic, have the flashier game and may even be more talented, but that doesn't make him the better basketball player. Bball IQ matters. It's why no sane GM in the league would trade for Russell Westbrook's contract right now even though he averages a triple double and runs like a track athlete. Gun to my head, I would 100% bet on Suggs having the superior career, regardless of off-the-court issues. That's not to say that I think KPJ can't, but Suggs is a much safer bet, IMO.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

he isn't further along. He doesn't even have a solid form and has a broken 3

Nook likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

Here is what I want:
    Someone that can shoot/score
    Play off the ball
    Can take over when it's needed
    Can put solid effort on Defense
    Can flop or eagerness to learn
    Leader.

Whoever we pick, there should be some exciting weeks up ahead. July 29th.

YOLO and mightybosstone like this.
  4. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Absolutely right. Nobody wants to wiff at #2.

groovemachine likes this.
  5. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The point here is the plan that management has for KPJ in the future of the team.
    While Suggs and KPJ are redundant, KPJ and Green could form a deadly duo and could mature together. Obviously, I could be wrong.
    My question is whether Cade and KPJ could coexist assuming Houston tries a trade for the first pick.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Suggs is really the product of the Gonzaga system - he's not particularly athletic and is a mediocre shooter -- very reminiscent of Oladipo or Rudy Gay.

FLASH21 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Suggs is worthy of consideration for the #2 overall pick.

I think part of the problem is that people fixate on upside. Everyone looks at Green and Mobley and dreams on them being high end superstars. The reality is that few players reach their "upside".

Suggs is especially attractive when you consider that the Rockets may get strong assets to move down from 2nd to 3rd-5th and get Suggs. A player does not need to score 30 points a night to be important.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

#2,#23,Wizards pick for #3 and Clev 2022 unprotected first.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

And as I mentioned earlier folks are so adamantly believing green/mobley are the home runs. Mostly because a youtube vid told them so or they read some 1 page article online. Not having followed any of these players at all and continue to just regurgitate what someone else told them. When in reality there's more of a chance they are not and as you said very few even reach that supposedly high ceiling. They settle in well below that or obviously just become that bust. We see the same exact thing in every draft.

This thread is a perfect example. Dude actually tried to LOL like it's something outrageous. Suggs is a significant impactful winning player who is extremely talented with plenty of upside.

El_Conquistador and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Suggs certainly has upside. He isn't going to ever score 30 points a night or win defensive player of the year. However, he can win games - he can defend, he is smart and well coached and he has upside to improve as well.

Talent and skill and personality all need to be considered. I am fine with Mobley, Green or Suggs

11. AnHero

AnHero Member

Stop the Suggs slander!

Anyone with eyeballs can see he is just as if not more athletic than Green or KPJ. Especially on defense Suggs is a ballhawk Free Safety who is always switched on. He hustles for every loose ball and gets a lot steals and easy buckets for teammates. Something I have never see from KPJ or Green.

Suggs ability to drive at will and create for others is being VERY UNDERRATED. I may be bias since Suggs is a football guy but he seems to have more heart and drive than Mobley. Green may have heart but he doesn't seem to ever hustle. I'm still leaning towards taking Green at #2 but Suggs is a pitbull and should never be underestimated.

El_Conquistador and cheke64 like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he was first team all america coming out of high school...McDonald's All American...Jordan Brand Classic invite...he was absolutely one of the most recruited freshman in the country. I THINK I would prefer one of the others, but you're selling him way short.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Down to #4, yes. #5, dunno.

And don't get us thinking about that!

Man, gonna be a long time until the draft, and I honestly don't know which player we should take. Others have stronger opinions than me on this. It's like trying to pick my favorite Beatles song.

EDIT: Except I have no doubts about my favorite Beatles songs.

#93 ROXTXIA, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

For what it's worth, i've heard scouts say this year's top prospect is deep.

If one of Cade, Mobley, Green, and yes even Suggs, was in another draft class... like last year, they'd be taken #1.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Right idea, wrong execution. Honestly, I wouldn't mind taking on Love's contract if it meant getting the #3 pick in this year's draft without giving up too much.

We're not going to be competing within the next year or two anyway. Why not draft Suggs and Mobley (for example), and just have those two develop until we can sign FAs in 2023?

Not sure what we'd have to give up, but...

Wall / Khyri
    KPJ / House
    Suggs / Tate
    Wood / Love
    Mobley

Roll with that for a year or two.

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I see KPJ as more of a scorer than a facilitator. He’s not a PG, even if they are trying to develop him as one.. I don’t get people saying him and suggs are redundant. I would think that would be Green and KPJ.

I’ll take either Green or trade down for Suggs, but I just don’t like Mobley. idk what it is about him, but I hope he’s not on our list.

17. conquistador#11

What if the player I'm looking for is none of these and instead..... AYO, Kato! Ayo Dosunmu. Hadn't notice he made such a jump in his 3 pt shooting, He can flop. He is Ok on defense
    drafting Mobley and Ayo? The lineup would be:
    Mobley
    Wood
    Tate
    Ayo
    KPJ

How about drafting Suggs or green and Ayo?
    The Line up would be

Wood
    Tate
    KPJ
    Green
    AYO

or
    Wood
    Tate
    KPJ
    AYO
    Suggs

I'm confusing myself. 35 days left.
    [​IMG]

18. Denovo

Denovo Member

Sounds like JG to me lol.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. H.D.

H.D. Member

GS has a boner for Suggs- I'll bet they would do Wiseman + #7 for #2.

20. maw7079_2000

maw7079_2000 Member

jayfree likes this.