1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Legends Explain How Good Hakeem Olajuwon Was

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

How did the Rockets get on the bad side of the whistle since then? They didn't calculate marketing and returns as they do today And let the best team win?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

KD put Hakeem in his all time staring 5 lineup that he’d play with. Respect

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Olajuwon was the best in my opinion.

Only player I know that would practice:
    Each Move.
    Then a counter move in case that move was defended well.
    Then a counter move to the counter move in case the counter move was defended well.

That's where you see Olajuwon dominate David Robinson in the playoff series after Robinson was named MVP.

And defensively, what's to say? Playing *soccer as a youth helped Olajuwon create amazing footwork for a big man.
    Whatever you needed: rebounds, steals, blocks, deflections, taking a charge......you name it.

*I know he was a goalie, but I'm sure he dribbled the ball up the field in practice a time or two

Houstunna, Killatron 2000 and BigM like this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dream’s greatness was from his growth - as a player, as a man.

tycoonchip likes this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Michael Jordan said Hakeem Olajuwon is a taller version of himself.

I personally think Hakeem Olajuwon is better and has too many skills and moves.

I watched a Game on YouTube Michael Jordan going for a handshake with Hakeem, Michael literally was looking down. Submitting that Hakeem is better than him.
    Michael Jordan never does that with any other player in the NBA. Yes Michael Jordan feared Hakeem Olajuwon as a Player but also as a Fighter.

Michael knows he can get knocked out if he wants to fight Hakeem. Hakeem can win any fight.

D-rock and Killatron 2000 like this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s not a lot of guys you can take before Jordan, watch their careers then say you’d do it again if given the chance. Who knows how many rings Hakeem has if Sampson wasn’t made of glass and cocaine wasn’t a thing.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Clutchfans talking about re-drafting. How about re-drafting the 83 draft?

Instead of drafting Sampson at #1 and Rodney McCray at #3. How about Dale Ellis and Clyde Drexler?

But then again, we probably would be too good to draft Olajuwon the following season.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Too good if we took Drexler? Sampson was a 20-10 guy right off the bat. McCray was also better than both those guys their rookie seasons. Sampson was a no brainer. Injuries are a b****.

I’d take Dream first overall if we had to redraft the entire NBA from the beginning. He may not be the best of all time but I’d take my chances.

D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Curiously enough, the President of the United States spent some time today talking about Dream's defensive philosophy. At least, that's what I though he was talking about when I heard, “Go get the shot as soon as you can.”

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's all true.

The only Rocket I've ever seen that has come close to awing me as much was Harden. But that was on his best night. Dream was on that level every night. Best center ever, would dominate in todays NBA, no homer talk here.

D-rock likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen the video, but just watched again and still shake my head in amazement.

I mean we all know he’s great, but...

We were there every step of the way for his career and yet I’m still totally blown away at his skill set and what he was able to do on the court.

There just hasn’t been a guy like him ever. Moves upon moves. Greatness gets thrown around too often, but Hakeem personified greatness.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Baseline dream shake falling out of bounds is still the hardest shot ever.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Bit late to the party, but just saw the video in the OP. Brings back memories!

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member