1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summit memories

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 27, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter how old you are, most of us have been to our fair share of Rockets games. Obviously, it doesn't get any better than seeing our guys win it all. But, during those years there are plenty of other moments that are never forgotten. Far out stuff that you're proud to say you were there to see/experience.. Forgotten (sometimes strange) lore.
    I'll start it off with a couple.

The first one I'll throw out doesn't even involve a Rocket. I was in the Summit after the sting at Stouffers when Worthy was arrested. ( Magic wasn't) WE stood as one and gave James a standing ovation as he took the court after missing however much of that game.

And, for my other one... Mike Dunleavy's career high game....Mike's in the zone, and the whole crowd is chanting for their chicken as the Chicken Man puts up 48!

Pat, Rockets34Legend, J.R. and 7 others like this.
  2. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Don't know if anyone else has notice but the DALLAS Mavericks stole everything the Rockets been doing for years, shooting more 3's then two, doing step backs like harden, you name it they are doing everything Rockets the did.

Another thing everyone that the Rockets traded or let go are playing in the playoffs.. Sad to see

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Honestly, I wasn't old enough to attend games on my own until the Francis years and I mostly have bitter memories of intense playoff games over and over. But yet I keep coming back to hope for another magical season free of Scott Foster.

Of course there are blips like Nachbar vs Malone, Novaks one shot of the game for the streak, 13 in 33, and Clippers game 6 that were fun to watch either live or live on TV.

4. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Kevin love stepping on Luis scolas face was super odd lol ; rox never making it out of first round with tmac Yao sucked and cp3 getting injured on title run

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i remember screaming and yelling with the crowd at the summit, no matter where you sat. then remember being looked at like a rapist when i scream in the toybox. that arena needs to get burned down and rebuild an upgraded summit on top of its grave.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

C'mon now....let's bring back all the moments.....strange, cool, or just plain ecstasy.....

Honor and represent......Educate the youngins!

[​IMG]

xiki, whiskeyred, hakeem94 and 11 others like this.
  7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Amen!

We'd have that building shaking....like when we finished off SA....to get back to the Finals. (tears a flowin)

xiki, N2bnfunn, J.R. and 2 others like this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

They had that Whataburger on the concourse, I wish that made it's way over to Toyota, but alas.

I attended some great Rockets games (and WWF shows!) at the Summit.

burlesk, kdchilds, AXG and 1 other person like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Is that a box Chevy? That makes that pic a masterpiece

Plowman likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Favorite in-person Summit memory: Seeing the Who play the first concert there, in 1975.

(I was living in Cali then NYC when we won the titles, so I couldn't go to the games.)

#10 topfive, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    alethios, Bono and Plowman like this.
  11. Plowman

Supporting Member

So, you got to see them with Keith Moon! I've seen them several times over the years, but not that early.

So many good times....

Rockets
    WHA Aeros
    Tons of concerts - too many to list
    PSJ beating Maryland

burlesk, alethios and topfive like this.
  12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

First Rockets game...with my dad...sat as high as you could go...mid 80s...remember Robert Reid hitting half court shot at the end of the first half. Bill Fitch also threw on a gorilla mask. Good memory.

N2bnfunn, Richie_Rich, J.R. and 3 others like this.
  13. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

I remember sitting in the nosebleed section and having my view obstructed by steel beams.

I also found the players exit and got autographs of Sleepy Floyd, Larry Smith and Otis Thorpe.

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Looks like an Olds, no?

15. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My first date with my future wife was to a Rockets game in the late 70's. I think I got a 2 for 1 coupon from a Rainbow bread wrapper. I know I'm cheap, but I was a poor student at the time.

txtodd, Richie_Rich, J.R. and 4 others like this.
  16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

My uncle took me and my sister to my first Rockets game when I was eight or so. I don't remember the exact year but must have been '75 or '76. We are sitting munching on snacks before the game started when a band starts playing and startled my uncles girlfriend so much she jumps and the popcorn she was holding went flying in the air. Luckily people were still filing in and the people in front of us weren't there yet. They probably wondered why popcorn was all of their chair and floor when they showed up. I don't remember anything about the game.

In high school we cut coupons from the newspaper to go to a game. Ralph scored 40 something.

Last one, I took my future wife on mothers day to see the greatest fourth quarter comeback in playoff history. Yes, against the Suns.

Those are my Rockets Summit memories. Saw my first concert there (Rush '82) and many more after that. Went to many indoor soccer games.

#16 charlieaustin, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    carolbmt, J.R., burlesk and 1 other person like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. Was in the building for both titles. When Maxwell hit that shot, it was like a gigantic weight had been lifted off the city. I was wearing my Vernon jersey to all of those games during the 1994 WCF through the Finals. Incredible experience. My friend and I didn't leave until we were told to...we were sitting in upper deck, but well after the game ended we went down to lower level where his parents had been sitting. Players were coming in and out of the locker room to walk around and celebrate...this is at least 20 minutes or so after the trophy ceremony. Kenny walks and I screamed, KENNY!! He started twirling a towel above his head and pointed at me saying, "let's gooooo!!!" Just a great memory.

2. I was there the night Don Chaney got fired and Rudy was hired. We lost to the TWolves. So bad.

3. I was there for game 7 of the 1993 series against Seattle...not because the game was played there but because it was simulcast there. Went with a group of friends to watch it on the screens there. Such a frustrating game...as we walked out I said, "next year the Rockets are going to win the championship."

4. I was there for the NBA draft party...yes, I booed the Robert Horry selection too. Who is Harold Miner, again?

5. The food court there was amazing when they let in the other vendors. Could get a fried crawfish dinner at the Pappa's Seafood kiosk for like $10. Pappasito's had a kiosk there too. The food at Toyota Center sucks big time compared to those outside vendors that were allowed in.

6. I saw M.C. Hammer there in 1990. You can't touch this.

7. Saw the Aeros win the Turner Cup there in 1999...that was a blast.

8. Was there for the new uniform and logo unveiling after the 1995 championship. I don't wanna talk about it.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jontro, I’ve long been trying to out you as not being a 16 year old girl and now I have half of that solved you lying, liar face who lies on the interweb! Yota opened in 2003 so how you remember you non 16 year old!

Jontro and burlesk like this.
  19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Totally forgot about that. Was there also. Had to be one of the loudest crowds in Summit history. Really fun time. Houston was ready for the NHL...not sure who dropped the ball on that one.

20. davisag9

davisag9 Member

I was pretty young but went to a decent amount of games at The Summit. One game that particularly stands out was being able to see Michael from a couple rows behind the Bulls bench. Space Jam had been released the year before and MJ had ascended from sports icon to world icon from my 7 year old point of view. I'll never forget that.

Plowman and DonatelloLimestone like this.