1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

So you're saying the average person with $10 million would buy a $1 million dollar home and finance it? Crazy because they're burning cash in interest every month.

Real estate and sports franchises usually gain value. Paying cash and avoiding interest is the smart thing to do. We don't here much about owners borrowing money to purchase franchises. Steve Ballmer has big paper and bought the Clippers cash. I don't recall McNair borrowing to initiate the Texans.

But if what you're saying is true, and Tilman has big paper, and simply borrowed money so he could "finesse" ****, then we're likely doomed because seems he'd never pay the luxury tax. I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

D-rock likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tilman was wrong.

EVERY dang move he makes IS the wrong move.

Because he is an asswipe of the nth kind.

3. VoR

VoR Member

Very happy. Losing in the second round would have been the same but worse. Had to happen.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

yes Uber rich people finance things quite often. It allows them to use other people’s money. The NFL and NBA and MLb all have rules about this, regulating how much debt service can exist. Most owners do not buy a new team cash outright.

as for interest payments:
    1) fear of interest is something that exists with poor and middle class people. Rich people pay low interest to begin with and by not dumping cash up front that money is able to grow at a rate higher than the interest rate. (Ideally)
    2) 99.9% of rich people want tax deductions

Houstunna and ElPigto like this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, mortgage interest (and I assume there's other types) is a tax deduction and people generally want deductions. Rich people pay lower interest rates, so why not deliberately accept a higher rate so their deduction is greater?

Rich people worry less about interest than the poor and middle class because they're able to pay it more easily and still live like nothing happened. They can pay interest and the money wouldn't affect smaller purchases like random $500 blowoffs during the course of a month. Poor and middle class can't do that. But those same rich guys aren't deliberately paying higher interest rates to increase their deductions.

I'm sure you're familiar with how mortgages work -- amortization charts. The biggest value in paying off the loan isn't the interest rate, it's how quickly you get the payments going more towards the principle. I would never take another mortgage unless I could pay cash or get the principle payment to a reasonable amount quickly. Quickly meaning within 6 months. I'd rather my deductions be vacations or other investments than blowing it on interest.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Hiring Stone and Silas is wrong? The man who signed Christian Wood and some how managed to also get KPJ who by the way is looking like a fantastic pick up with extremely high ceiling. Who is also about to haul in more opportunities by trading away Tucker, Wall and Gordon... All attractive players to teams in contention. Yah... terrible moves...

7. riko

riko Member

Little side not, Morey had been after Christian Wood for almost 3 years and last trade deadline he thought they had a deal done in principle but the Pistons managed to unload Drummond and kept Wood. Stone is doing a lot of the moves Morey had planned.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Wasn't Stone working with Morey? Assuming Wood was all of Morey's idea Stone still had the free reign to move towards what ever direction he felt right and still brought in Wood. He closed the deal and I think Houston will be good for it, I know Houston is miserable right now but once all those 4 players are gone the rebuild will start to finally take shape and that's exciting in my opinion. Wood, KPJ might actually be really fun and we have a tons of picks and more to come. Those picks could turn into talent via draft or trade. There are positives to this franchise, its not hard to see light in darkness.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Making moves is not a GM's endgame, its winning. Making moves without that outcome is a failure.

Morey was never allowed to have a losing season.

Stone has not impressed me thus far, not just with player acquisition (Harden trade especially) but his transparency, lack of visibility and especially public support of Silas with team in disarray and in throes of historic incompetence.

And only move we can give Stone full credit is Porter trade. And that only happens because JBB relationship with Lucas and Silas.

Wood signing was already in the works when Morey was GM. Morey tried to trade for him months earlier.

Silas was my choice among all the options, but he has been disappointing thus far. 13 consecutive losses is not proof that he is struggling, it's how badly the Rockets have lost and how poorly team has performed offensively, especially with Silas rep of being offensive wunderkind.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

The team Morey handed Stone was already getting destroyed even with Harden, hence that day he quit on the Rockets. They just weren't good enough. Assuming Wood is a 100% a Morey deal even thou its not, the team was a total and utter mess. That was not Stone's doing.

The Harden trade was solely for Harden to get to where he wanted to go, if anything props to Stone for giving our best player in years and a future hall of famer his choice. Stone could have traded him anywhere and have gotten back tons of better talent but somehow still got a nice haul and KPJ and Vic O out of it. I think Vic O, Wall, Tucker or Gordon is going to land us something really good in the future. I'm talking about the picks they will most likely be traded for.

I don't think there is a single coach that would have made this team look better than it has. Basically we have two spectrums, veteran ex stars coming off injuries/veterans alongside young undrafted or g league talent. Its absolutely understanding how bad they have looked, Wall and Vic O are clearly playing to showcase their potential to the contending teams. Tate is playing for a permanent position, Gordon is just trying to have fun as he awaits where he will go and Tucker's hustle is meaningless when the team is so far behind.

When Silas gets Wood and KPJ I think is more reasonable to grade him. Do we see these two players linking up, do we see pick and roll with lobs. Do we see the team creating looks for Wood and space for KPJ. Do we see The Rockets being competitive. They are naturally going to lose most of the games anyways but I'll be patient with Stone, Silas and Tilman. I do hope and expect these three to get it together and soon. If we land a top 4 pick that's bad ass to me.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Drank the kool-aid huh?

You've built your house on sand.

That is a shetload of "ifs" and "maybes" for Stone, Silas, Wall and Dipo.

Where were all these excuses for Morey, MDA and Harden?

These 3 at least took the Rockets to the top of the playoffs EVERY single season even when faced with major and lengthy injuries to starters, not re-signing key personnel, dumping FRP and young talent to avoid LTS in addition to poor officiating in critical games.

YOLO likes this.
  12. because24

because24 Member

I disagree. To say that this team is not more cerebral than 90 percent of Harden teams here is a joke. They're already more intuned than all last year for the Rockets. Just because Harden willed and drug us to a respectable record doesn't mean we were intuned with one another. This team he's on now goes to there spot and cut when they suppose to 85 percent of the time. There are no House cutting to the rim at the wrong time or Westbrook's taking I'll advise 3's. And for the fans that will discount Harden ship if he wins this year as they did Kd are idiots. This is not a championship team before he got there or even a 73 win team. This is a team with a bunch of stars or role players with something to prove; that most said it wouldn't work because their is only one ball. But Harden is the total reason why its working.

D-rock likes this.
  13. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Our championship window closed because we had an owner step in and send the message that we were going to cut costs, it is that simple. People say Harden got everything he wanted, that is bullcrap and has absolutely no truth behind it. He was offered certain alternatives and had to choose. People say he wanted CP3 gone, another lie. He wanted to add to him and CP3. The reason the Warriors were so dominant was because they have an owner that is willing to do anything it takes to win, even if it means shouldering the highest payroll, and the players know it. This owner kept the ceiling low for a reason just like the Warriors kept their ceiling high for a reason - because they know in order to win you need that edge, they don't have all the pieces yet but they certainly have the room for them in the near future. Brooklyn was going all in, has an owner willing to go the financial distance needed to acquire the talent, and Harden went there to maximize his ability to win a championship. That my friends is the truth.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Church

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Time to update my original post:

All of you who've been saying MDA with his his offense-heavy approach couldn't assemble a balanced team have now gotten your wish. This team has really rallied behind Steven Silas. The unselfish play! The ball movement! The happy players hitting their shots!

All of you who've been saying Morey with his stats-based approach didn't really understand how to put together a basketball team have now gotten your wish. Now we have to pray that one of these draft picks hits the lottery AND that Stone chooses the right guy.

All of you who complained that Les Alexander was a cheap owner? You now have the worst owner in the league, someone who totally dismantled a contender in less than 3 years.

Last but not least, I have GREAT news for all of you who've been screaming loudly that James Harden will never bring a championship to Houston because he's just not a big-game player, he's too selfish, he sleeps on defense, etc: He is now someone else's MVP-candidate headache.

Hope all you guys are thrilled with your new-look Houston Rockets.

YOLO and larsv8 like this.