1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Power Grid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 17, 2021.

1. cdastros

cdastros Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Umm my point is that the people who need convincing have their own bubbled media where they will never see any debunking.

They are stuck in a closed bubble of OAN, Fox News, Newsmax, youtube grifters and Facebook memes.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Even Pgabs does not believe you are a moderate democrat.

@Os Trigonum

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well then you need to say that instead of saying simply news media.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh I thought it was obvious when I said "the news media they consume". We aren't speaking of people who agree with us.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why the hell is over engineering to Canadian specs even being discussed, How about just doing to El Paso specs?

Stop with the strawman.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You also said the media bubble trap, I will admit I missed the they consume.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

grammatically ("I respect a lot about you as a poster, as a level headed Republican") Pgabs was speaking as a level-headed Republican: "as a level-headed Republican, I respect a lot about you as a poster".

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and pgabriel like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So important for the nation to see this type of effort that doesn't allow Abbott, Cruz, etc. to hide behind the greatness of JJ Watt, Mattress Mack, etc. who constantly bail them out for their incompetency as leaders. AOC and Beto stepping up in this big of a way is a shot to the gut for the Repugs, and really makes them look that much worse.

Good for AOC. If anything gets them to finally act, and stop treating us all like we all signed up for Naked and Afraid, it'll be AOC triggering the Right.

ROCKSS and Mr. Space City like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

It's an interesting argument. Personally, I think more things should be federalized - simply because having 1 agency do things is so much more efficient than 50 different ones recreating the wheel (with generally less competent people). That said, if we had a nationalized grid and the ERCOT people managed to regulate that, we might in an even worse situation. There is the obvious advantage that the whole nation has much more capacity to handle surges/problems in one area because it's doubtful the entire country will have bad weather. But the risk is you have one set of regulators that can screw it all up instead.

I don't know if there is a good one-size-fits-all power system, and I don't necessarily have a problem with different states managing their own power to some extent within reason - as long there is federal infrastructure and federal regulation, and definitely there should not be this industry-run regulation nonsense we seem to have in Texas.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ha!

#211 jiggyfly, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Freakin Knicks fans, I tell ya.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I read that after typing and knew it something didn't sound right but I didn't spend any time on it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Accord99

Accord99 Member

Even if there was one single grid, it's very likely that there simply wouldn't be enough transmission capability or generation surpluses to make up the deficit. Texas's neighboring systems, MISO and SPP, were having electricity emergencies on the 15th as well.

And usually in bad weather, transmission is the most fragile aspect.

16. Major

Major Member

Fair point, and that's certainly possible depending on the crisis and specific issues. But in terms of this past week, the parts of Texas that aren't connected to the Texas power grids managed to get through the craziness pretty well, so we know their power systems were more resilient to some degree. Could they have handled it if they were connected to the entire state of Texas? I have no idea. It may be more about the weatherization and other factors they implemented, which brings us back to the question of who's doing the regulating and who's interests are they serving?

AkeemTheDreem86 and ElPigto like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And without the hyphen, he may have meant that he is level, (perhaps flat?), and also not without a head. :oops:

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Lmao. Excellent.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

nevertheless, the more access you have to each other generators, the greater chance you could share or redirect load to where is needed and vice versa