1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I'm Stone(d).....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

I agree do a trade for Tucker

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree that Barnes would be a nice add to this team.

But replacing Tucker with Barnes as small ball center is a net negative.

Rockets are ranked #1 defensively and this is primary reason they are winning games now.

Would adding Barnes and losing Tucker be enough lift to offense because the defense would drop precipitously.

And it's no guarantee that Barnes will.even be maximized in this offense. Wall and Dipo struggle getting ball to best offensive player in Wood already and they rarely pass to open corner 3 as it is. Tucker is an elite corner 3 shooter, he was the BEST in NBA last season and season prior.

Without Harden, this team is no longer plug and play.

The dynamics are much more complicated.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm all for upgrading.

I'm 100% upgrading at the expense of draft capital.

Corpusfan and D-rock like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know Tate isn't nearly as good, but he could play the small ball 5 center for spurts while Barnes focuses on the "four man". It's a tough ask for Tate, but might as well start working on that skill now. He is pretty beefy.

I think the fact that Barnes would be a threat with the ball, is a lot better than PJ for now. Barnes can at least look decent slashing to the basket, PJ on the other hand can't do it. You either give it to him while he is cutting or standing in the corner, anything else and it is a disaster.

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd be hard pressed not to take a chance on that trade too.

But not sure Kings do that trade without assets attached.

And Tucker is being saved for a trade to gain assets.

I'd do it but would Stone?

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what the grand plan is. Harden has helped us accumulate assets.

If players continue playing like they are right now, we will have some positive trade assets this summer, especially since there won't be a ton of notable free agents this summer. Teams may decide to look into good role players to use for their team.

From Sacramento's standpoint, they already are doing well salary cap wise, so isn't as they need to shed salary, I just figured maybe they will see upside with House (wishful thinking). It's not a totally unfair trade though, but I would understand if the want a 1st. Maybe whoever we give Tucker away too we could extract an FRP out of them to give to Sac (probably not).

D-rock likes this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Then trade those guys, and then those guys. Have a lot of picks and become what the suns have been for past 15 years.

Corpusfan and D-rock like this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Or you can just not start him? Having someone like him to show the young guys how to communicate on defense real time I think is worth his spot and money. Also counting on him to be there day in and day out is valuable too. CP3 isn't the most skilled guy on the court but he keeps going to young teams and instantly making them better, why?

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate the knowledge and mentoring that he is likely providing right now and it is something I've taken into account. However, if what @Codman is stating is true, about PJ wanting to go to a championship contender, I would certainly love for PJ to have a chance to play for a championship while we continue working on our team. I love the value that he brings to this team and I do appreciate all the little things, but I do think if we could land a better player in return, that's younger and still a positive trade asset, I would personally look into doing it.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yep, we need to stick to the plan. Everyone not named wood is tradable... maybe wall for his leadership. .. he’ll eventually have to go. We won’t win a chip until Lebron retires. We will need to pounce when that happens. We need to go full tank after we trade these assets and create a true championship team inside 3-4 years.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

And hope you pick Doncic instead of Bagley or Bamba.

D-rock likes this.
  12. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’d compete, until the trade deadline and trade everyone outside of Wall/Wood/Cousins/Jones/KPJ/KMJ for young talent and draft capital

I think Wall is a great leader for the young guys we’ll be drafting over the years. I wouldn’t mind keeping Wall for the remainder of his contract for a mentor type role with players like Mason Jones

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

(If I'm stoned) Bubba Gump's tastes like gourmet Long John Silvers.

WestendMassive and J.R. like this.
  14. minis9

minis9 Member

Why not one talking about Aaron Gordon? He’s not gonna stay with the Magic is he?

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol as if doncic has won anything

remember OKC drafted 3 MVPs in a row... DIDNT WON NOTHING

minis9 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why noones is talking about magic.... they did have a pretty good draft choices in the last years and did not get anywhere

D-rock likes this.
  17. minis9

minis9 Member

A perfect example of why bottoming out might not work as great as some like to think.
    Wolves, knicks, magic, I’m sure there are more, all been bad for a long time.

D-rock likes this.
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

[QUOTE="ballgame, post: 13397880, member: 60808]

We have scores but no one who can shoot.[/QUOTE]

and yet, McL pines to get off the pine.

D-rock likes this.
  19. minis9

minis9 Member

So Lebron retires, someone else will also try to build a new super team, what do we do then? Based on you model, rest of the league should all just give up? Why does anyone bother to enter a race with Bolts in it? Why bother play tennis when Federer is still playing?
    What you described isn’t being smart, is being a quitter. I’d much rather try my best and lose.

everyday eddie and napalm06 like this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Charlie Daniels had a great song about this called long haired country boy.

I get stoned in the morning, I get moreyed in the afternoon. I like to add draft picks, and Daryl likes to trade them too. I ain’t asking nobody for nothing, just 7 years of draft picks and all star, you can leave this long haired country boy alone.

bumbum09 likes this.