1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Adding Jarrett Allen does not mean NOT clinging on to Wood.

Allen simply would provided Rockets more value, on AND off court, than Exum and Kurucs combined.

Allen would have improved defense, depth and overall health at bare minimum.

And Rockets still could easily flip him for 1st at deadline.

saleem, fattz, BallaDoc and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree, I see Wood as a 4... that's why seeing that tweet is kinda concerning. Wood-Allen at the 4-5 is pretty solid imo, is an upgrade at both positions to Tucker-Wood as the 4-5. But they viewed Allen as a backup in that scenario, so... Wood is the 5 for them. I guess Tucker is gonna start playing in 4" heels.

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tucker at 3 is his best position IMO.

And would be best for Rockets as well, hence me advocating for a longer 4 ad nauseum.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

My not have been Stone's call.... IJS

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then Stone is trash at his job.

This was a James Harden trade, Rockets should of had ALL the leverage.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

At least 1 of Nance or Allen should be a Rocket right now.

Had a chance for BOTH.

And Stone hand 2 different and very recent opportunities to make this happen and F'ed it up spectacularly both times.

#2226 D-rock, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It really looks more like they were creating max cap space flexibility as soon as possible.

Given the moving pieces, the Rockets could have walked away with
    3 BKN first
    4 BKN swaps
    LeVert
    Allen
    Kurucs
    Prince

LaVert and Prince have salary into next season, and Allen is either a keeper, or trade for a pick.
    In order to dump LeVert and Prince, we took a fairly obscure 1st (unless Giannis and co miss most of next year), and paid Indiana a 2nd.

It is simplistic to suggest we could have just flipped Allen later - sure, but he was part of the price of going straight to expiring contracts.

If we use the Milwaukee pick to dump Gordon, this whole exercise has been brilliant.

Wood is going to be great as a 5, he just needs someone else taller than 6'5 in the frontcourt with him.... someone in the John Collins mould (ie, bouncy, long, can shoot).

joshuaao and Grizzlyshark like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I disagree on JA being a sticking point for a Harden trade. If it was, Stone got played.

And John Collins sucks on defense.

Just because he's longer than 6'6 doesn't equate to complementary player for Wood.

Collins game and role is just like Wood's, except Collins is not as long or as tall.

#2228 D-rock, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    BallaDoc likes this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It is certainly debateable if Stone messed it up. Debateable everyday here on the bbs and will be debateable 3-5 years from now when hindsight will lend more creedence to who is smarter between D-Rock and Stone.

The team is committed to Wood at the 5. I like an Allen/Wood frontcourt but Im not in charge. Personally, I think an UNPROTECTED pick is a good haul for Allen. Holding him only to deal him in Marx

joshuaao, jch1911 and DrNuegebauer like this.
  10. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I think dumping prince and getting a unprotected first was the price for Allen. Seems like they wanted “flexibility” more than just Allen. Whether that flexibility is for the roster or Tillman remains to be seen

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

No hindsight required.

I'm way smarter than Stone. :D

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed.
    But Allen is also the price paid to cleanse salary.
    If Cleveland don't take Prince, we have his 13 mill on the books next year.

Shedding salary in 21/22 seems to have been the MO. And if so, I think Stone did quite well

To dump Taurean Prince may have cost a 2nd or so? Instead we receive an unprotected 1st (which, all things being equal, looks like pick 25+. Of course, things don't always plan out) by adding Allen into the deal

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure that you've responded to what I said?
    Or maybe I said it in an unclear fashion.

I can see why Allen was flipped, and it is not just for a pick. It may also be that Silas sees Wood as the 5, and wants him to learn to bang the big boys.

I think we need a big face up 4 with range who can play next to him. But there is no rush, because being bad this year, and not taking on salary beyond this year, could be good.
    Even with no FA beyond Kawhi worthy a max, we can still use cap space to accumulate assets by letting people dump expirings to avoid tax (and pay in picks).

I'm hoping Oladipo and Gordon are moved soon so we can enjoy the development of Tate/ Jones/ KPjr etc

Grizzlyshark and rhee like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps our disagreement is circular.

JA like Exum is an expiring contract.

JA unlike Exum has value on and off the court.

Unlike you I do not believe that playing JA jeopardizes Wood's position as Rockets long term 5. In fact, Silas could utilize JA in myriad of ways to help the team NOW and still build more value to move him at trade deadline.

Rockets do need a face up 4 to BEST complement Wood on offense. But more importantly this 4 currently not on the roster has to complement Wood on defense first, where Wood is his weakest.

This 4 also needs to be more physical and able to defend 1-5. This is critical.

Either Nance or Prince would fill that need. And both were there for the taking.

Stone actually had multiole opportunities to steal Larry Nance from the Cavs but lacked the wherewithal, skill or foresight to do so.

The saddest part of this entire discussion is that Rockets were in position with Harden trade to fortify the Rockets weakest positions, starting 4 and back up 5, with the Harden trade and completely whiffed.

Even if Rockets did not include Cavs and received Prince and JA directly from Nets in Harden trade, Rockets would be in a better position right now both ON and off the court.

Both JA and Prince would have netted a FRP each, at least, at trade deadline instead of the ONE FRP they received by sending those 2 players to Cavs.

Stone outsmarted himself or Tilman screwed Rockets fans again all in the name of MORE cap flexibility.

As it is Rockets will not maximize the TPE's they received.

And you also state no FA worthy of max, yet propose trading for John Collins who is very publicly on record demanding the max.

And trading for Collins defeats your argument that Silas is trying to clear max cap room for next season FA.

Why when you are on record saying only Kawhi is deserving of the max, and we all know that Kawhi is not signing with the Rockets. Ever.

saleem likes this.
  15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A. It wasn't JA or Exum as a linear choice.

B. I never said I don't like Allen, or didn't want him. But I can see why they did what they did and why it is more complicated

C. Collins. Did I say trade for him? Someone in that mould. A bouncy face up 4 who can rebound and hit the 3.

D. Max cap space means you get a swing at a Kawhi. If fail, then use space another way. I already suggested just one way of doing that.

It seems obvious that either Tilman ordered max $ savings, OR the way forward is as many picks as possible and as much clear forward cap space as possible. Either way, Stone did the best he could.

PS: if we were trying to do the best we could do this season, then LeVert, Allen, Prince would have been useful additions. None are a genuine superstar, and perhaps the path forward is to try and find one?

Corrosion, Grizzlyshark and saleem like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I do not agree that this is the season to tank.

Next season is better.

If Rockets really want top 5 pick then trade up for it.

Otherwise this is the season to compete and set up foundations of future winning culture. You may give Stone benefit of doubt but I'm not as charitable.

And where was that charity when Morey traded CP3 away for all the picks or when he initially traded away Capela?

If Stone is under some directive than why wasn't Morey?

The Harden trade should have guaranteed a young All Star, complementary players and a ton of picks.

This is what Stone promised, I'm not pulling this out of nowhere.

Oladipo does not qualify as a young All Star and neither Exum or Kurucs are useful players.

This was a clear failure in my estimation based on the expectations that Stone ensured to Rockets Nation.

#2236 D-rock, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are currently 11th in Defensive Rating.

Imagine how much better defensively they would be with Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybulle and fill in blank 3rd Philly player like Furkan Korkmaz.

Certainly longer, more physical, faster pace, better playmaking and younger.

6'3 EGo/6'4 Wall/6'4 Jones
    6'5 Thybulle/6'4 Porter/6'3 McLemore
    6'5 Tucker/6'5 Brown/6'7 Korkmaz
    6'10 Simmons/6'4 Tate/6'5 Nwaba
    6'10 Wood/6'10 Cousins/6'6 KJ

Either or all Tucker, BMac, EGo can be traded for a legit young starter at 3/4 and/or picks to clean up rotation/add draft assets/clear cap.

Wall, Boogie, Nwaba, Tucker could be load managed properly without severely affecting offense OR defense.

Rockets could even be more strategic, basing load management schedule on future matchups.

The trick is being proactive instead of reactive with load management.

#2237 D-rock, Jan 24, 2021
  18. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

I like Allen but not worth an unprotected imo.

Collins is ranked 9th in defensive raptor and has 97 D-rating at PF this year......his defense has been very good.

#2238 ball4life66, Jan 24, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Best 3-D forwards to pair with Wood.

6'7 245 Larry Nance Jr. (27) - ascending value: NBA steals leader

6'8 235 Aaron Gordon (25) - ascending value: 4 AST

6'8 215 Jerami Grant (26) - ascending: DET best player

6'7 240 James Johnson (33) - descending: not as productive with MAVs/MAVs not winning

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Admittedly I have not watched the Hawks like I did last season. Because Collins at the 5, defensively, was atrocious.

But how much of his new found efficiency is due to Capela's presence as an eraser in the middle?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/raygli...a-hawks-growing-on-defense-is-it-good-enough/

Are the Hawks still playing drop coverage or have they gone to zone/switch system?

https://www.nba.com/hawks/hawks-found-swiss-army-knife-play-alongside-their-swiss-center

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020...-season-projection-statistics-scoring-defense

This is perfect example of how to integrate another big that can create off the dribble.

#2240 D-rock, Jan 24, 2021