1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I can easily see that being a troll account, does not really make it better but there is now way somebody puts there real pic on a post like that.

Let me retract that nobody would do that.:(

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I like to be as fair and equal as possible. Mob injustice can and will always be an ugly thing. It’s evident you think equal wealth distribution is the answer but I prefer a capitalist society where if I put out a better good or service than you, if I work longer or harder than you then I am entitled to more than you and this drives economics. The desire for more, the desire to do well by effort and ability. It’s not about saving face of my political leanings, I will always value my ideals and how I lean politically. You don’t like capitalism that’s ok. We can disagree. No problem

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. ROXRAN

However having said that I understand that there should be helping hand programs rather than handouts to close the wealth gap ...I am completely for minority reduced cost tuition and other training programs absolutely

5. Rudy

Rudy Member

Video shows 2 cops being beaten. One on the floor covering his head and the other dragged down by backpack individual with a cap.

mdrowe00 and FrontRunner like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

#1526 jiggyfly, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Trump is still getting word out to his faithful white supremacist followers:

[​IMG]

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So how does a 5 year old work for healthcare?

Do you see here why conservative ideology is so frequently pegged as racist? I just told you the median white family has 1000% of the wealth of a median black family and your answer to that absurd level of wealth gap between two large racial segments of our country is because one race is lazier?

Really? You really need to learn American history. If your daughters have souls, they probably think you are a psychopath.

9. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...with respect to you, @B-Bob...

...redemption is a journey...not a destination.

...I don't care at all about anybody's personal crucible of "uncertainty" and "confusion" and "feeling lost"...certainly even less so after what we are all steadily discovering about this travesty, even days and likely still even weeks and perhaps months after it occurred.

...yes, the first thing attendant in any change of one's heart is a change of one's mind. The process is the process. First things first.

I get that.

Also coming from a valiant ( if ultimately futile) attempt at a Christian upbringing...I understand the principle of the good shepherd going off and leaving 99 sheep in order to rescue or recover the one lost. A principle you and so many others here are so willing to practice and employ.

That is to your and anyone else's great credit.

But anybody so inclined to say that they've changed their minds or have see the light that the Donald and his ilk have routinely scattered out of, has got a few more steps that they're going to need to take before anybody (perhaps even those people themselves) is really committed to examining what they want to believe against what they ought to know.

The good thing for the truly repentant is that there is no such thing as a race to the truth. The truth is where it's always been. The truth is where it always will be. I don't suppose there's any real rush...even with our own impending mortality at call.

But human beings are not sheep, no matter how many of us wish to be or pretend that we are. We aren't often lost because we've lost our way...not as much as we've chosen to go in a direction for our own reasons, despite all good direction and conscience to the contrary.

My advice to you, my friend, is to not waste too much of your time going back for people who decided to go where they've found themselves. If they found themselves some place they really didn't mean to go, then it's up to them to make the trip back.

You can help them out, if you must. All good souls would do that...and you're a good soul (if I was ever anybody who could identify what one of those was).

It's all our problem...these incessant lies about lizard-alien, devil-worshipping, baby-eating Democrats ( and those are the tame ones, if what happened at the Capitol is any indication)...

...but the one's who've believed and propagated and fomented and undergirded them are the ones who have to account for the consequences.

...it's not an easy journey...the journey towards truth. That's another thing that's true for all of us.

...I guess that's why not everyone decides to make the trip...

#1529 mdrowe00, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
  10. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

So this insurrection was led by the Proud Boys. I'm afraid the next one will be led by the other Eric, not the dumb son.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm seeing a report by Jonathan Swan on MSNBC that cabinet has done an essentially defacto 25th Amendment and treating Trump as though he is no longer President. According to Swan Gen. Mike Milley the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has told Nancy Pelosi that they will not follow orders if Trump were to use the nuclear codes.

12. fchowd0311

No it's called basic deductive reasoning.

1. I claim that there is a wealth gap between the median black family and white family that is 1000%.

2. You claim that wealth gaps are a natural aspect of capitalism and that in our system, people who work harder get what they deserve in that they have more wealth.

3. The logical conclusion from basic deductive reasoning is that you believe that black families work 1000% less than white families.

For you to not be seen as racist here you would have to admit something: our capitalist system doesn't reward the hardest workers.

But you won't buy into that premise hence it logically means you believe black families work 1000% less than white families.

ElPigto likes this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Truer words. Well, I will just say my mind is a very different place than it was 12 months ago, and on current course, it will change just as much in the next 12. I welcome it all.

I keep finding that on every front where I thought I "got it," I had a lot of ground left to cover. Maybe we can trade some stories someday.
    Anyway, thanks for that.

No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

This smacks of the prior posts where you soft peddle what Trump did. No, the two are not the same and you know it. You want to criticize the rioting during the prior protests from this summer? Go ahead. I’ll be right there with you.

But don’t attempt to equate that with what happened with Trumps mob.

Either you are too obtuse/unwilling to see the differences, or you plainly the differences, but you want to shade them the same color of evil and persuade others to see it the same way. I watch Fox News. This is the same bullshit that Tucker, Hannity and Ingram are peddling. Keep it up and you’re just as bad as they are. Of course, if you see nothing wrong with what they are doing (and I don’t know if you do), that makes clear your views about the trump mob and frankly the country.

15. ROXRAN

At this stage, I’m hoping just as much as you to get thru the next week without crayyyyzeeee stuff happening

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

So prior to Covid I had a business, 90% of my clients were black. For 7 years I was able to work closely with and assess lifestyles. And I can tell you right now the difference in poverty levels between races is not exactly due to racism and or social injustice. You will find poor education and poor decision making mostly based on culture than anything. How can a young black man succeed when since young he is already thought to have a disadvantage? You have no idea how many of my clients were struggling and always blamed something else for their struggle when their struggle could have easily been fixed by a couple of good life choices. Can you believe that out of those 90% of black clientele about 60% were single black mothers raising children on their own. Because the father decided he no longer wanted to be in the picture. This is not due to racism, this is due to culture.

This is not due to wealth gaps, wealth gaps are due to culture and poor life decisions. I believe a young black man or women in this country has every opportunity to succeed but will they be able to escape the culture and household they grow up in? Will there be a family attached to them that will teach them values of commitment and education and money management. The Government cant do this and never will.

ROXRAN likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

I am not trying to “soft peddle” ..evil mob injustice is still evil regardless of the group or side because bad things happen to people on both sides. Protest is fine. Riots, trespassing into restricted areas, threatening lives ...there is a line and mob injustice groups cross the line time and time again. There’s always a reason and cause and what reason has merit is based on our biases but we can’t make progress unless we all know crossing the line is wrong regardless of the reasoning

18. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I respect what I’ve seen of your posts as they appear to reflect real intellectual honesty, whether I agree with the views or not.
    I reply to address your fair question of whether the protests of this summer accomplished anything.

I can say they did for me. I am a moderate, traditionally Republican, fiscal conservative, social moderate. It caused me to really reflect about the existence of systemic racism, not just whether it exists but the extent to which it does. I read books and articles to educate myself and I learned I have a crap ton to learn. I know many like me (we all tend to associate with like minded people) were similarly impacted. I believe the national consciousness about race shifted, particularly among non blacks. What tangible changes have occurred as a result of those shifts? Not much yet. But why must first occur is the shift in consciousness. Then action follows.

And for the record, I believe police accountability needs meaningful national attention. Reexaminining the role of police is also a valid exercise.

#1538 Rileydog, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    mdrowe00 and Salvy like this.
  19. ROXRAN

Well said

20. fchowd0311

I can tell you are wrong based on American history , not personal anecdotes. Do you even have the slightest clue how the 1000% wealth gap between the two races occured? Hint: it has to do with homeownership.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/fiscal-fact/median-value-wealth-race-ff03112019

Institutionalized racism creating a system of mass poverty amongst black people when we know poverty increases the rates of crime.

So institutionalized racism would be something like right after ww2, the largest wealth transfer to middle class white blue collar high school educated families in American history occured when massive amounts of ultra cheap mortgages were handed out like candy during the suburban housing boom but black families were denied these cheap mortgages in mass even when financially qualified. Those cheap mortgages that were handed out like candy have quadrupled in value after adjusting for inflation. So you can see the massive amounts of equity passed down to white families. This essentially created the modern suburban white middle class. Black families were systemically denied these mortgages.

This resulted in the modern predicament where the median white household has 1000% percent of wealth the median black household has which is primarily due to massive differences in home ownership rates as a result of the redlining that occured in mass right after ww2. Hence why we have entire black communties that are nothing more than tenants rather than homeowners in poor urban black communties.

This has so many ramficarions that at first glance people will ignore. For example, studies have shown that homeownership reduces crime rates as homeowners are more invested in their communities and care more about what is happening in them because they have part ownership of that community. They own land in the community. They have stakes to improve it. Homeownership also increases property values while renting lowers property values. And since our k-12 education system funding is almost entirely dependent on local property taxes, neighborhoods that have primarely poor tenants rather than a community of homeowners will have lower property values and therefore smaller amounts of funding for their schools.

Like this one thing had so many trickle down effects. This is what people refer to as "systemic racism'. What's ****ed up is after the Civil Rights Act when it became illegal for banks to deny loans based on race, housing market skyrocketed, pricing out the typical blue collar black family for homeownership while white blue collar families got theirs when housing values were at ridiculous lows.

Culture is nothing more than a response mechanism of a group of people who experience the same socioeconomic realities. Culture is a symptom not a cause. Racists believe black culture is the cause. Are you racist by chance?

glynch, Nolen and mdrowe00 like this.