1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt it's going to be a complicated picture when all the numbers are sorted out.

Sajan and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

In your situation, I would cancel. Better to be safe then sorry. Or put them up in a hotel until you get results.
    I have been quarantining since friday in order to have a few hours with the in-laws on Christmas. MIL is going through cancer treatments so her immune system is compromised. My wife have had a few spats being cooped up but other than that it's been ok. We all took a test monday and only my daughter's has come back with a result.

Jontro, B-Bob, rocketsjudoka and 2 others like this.
  3. GIGO

GIGO Member

I just remembered, back in March when Lombardy and other northern regions of Italy had the first peak, some people in other (non-CF) forums mentioning possible routes of transmission in the garment industries, especially around and after Sept/Oct 2019 & Feb/Mar 2020 annual fashion events in EU, CN and NYC.

FYI:
    (2/19/16) Mapping your supply chain in Italy
    (1/30/20) Is coronavirus a threat to the clothing industry?
    (12/2/19) China’s textile industry to gather for sustainability conference
    (2020) https://tributetomagazine.com/fashion-week-schedules-dates-2020/

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  4. Miracle

Miracle Member

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-08/california-icu-beds-fill-up-coronavirus-cases

Hospitals face tough choices as ICUs fill up with COVID-19 patients

Back in the spring, the government opened a so-called “surge” hospital in Los Angeles and even docked a Navy medical ship in San Pedro harbor to take overflow patients if medical centers filled up. But officials found that those supplemental facilities did not treat many patients and did not provide the same level of care as traditional hospitals.

“Hospital ships are wonderful if you’re a 23-year-old wounded sailor. But it’s no place to take care of ICU patients” sick with COVID-19, said Dr. George Rutherford, an epidemiologist and infectious-diseases expert at UC San Francisco. “If they need to be in the ICU, they need to be in the ICU.”

“Physical beds are not the limiting factor in this, or most other, pandemics,” Dr. Christina Ghaly, the Los Angeles County director of health services, said recently. “What matters is the hospital’s practical ability to take care of the patients that come in the door. And that requires not just a bed, but more importantly it requires people: It requires staff. It requires supplies and equipment.”

Rutherford was more blunt: “If, all of a sudden, you have one nurse taking care of seven patients on ventilators like in New York, the mortality can be astronomical.”

ICU beds are still available even in hard-hit places like Los Angeles County. But the units are filling up fast, as California posts record numbers of new daily coronavirus cases. A Times county-by-county tally Monday recorded more than 34,000 new infections reported on Monday, shattering the previous single-day record of 22,369 cases tallied on Friday.

California has now recorded more than 20,000 cumulative COVID-19 deaths, a milestone recorded Monday by The Times’ coronavirus tracker.

ICU capacity has become tight in several locations around Los Angeles County, including the Westside, the San Gabriel Valley and southeast L.A. County. Among staffed and licensed beds, on Sunday, the Westside had eight ICU beds available; southeast L.A. County had seven, and the San Gabriel Valley had just three.

Hospitals can also redeploy staff from other parts of the healthcare system, such as workers who now work in clinics and other outpatient settings or in other procedures.

These steps come with consequences.

Delaying scheduled care for other procedures can come at a health cost for other patients who need hospital care for chronic diseases, like heart disease, which could increase mortality for reasons not related to the pandemic. And relying on hospital staff without specialized training in intensive care is not ideal, but the last resort when capacity is overstretched.

Hospitals can do their best to cancel scheduled surgeries to make way for coronavirus patients. But at a certain point, a crush of patients will eventually lead to surging mortality, such as from overwhelmed nurses and doctors taking care of far too many critically ill COVID-19 patients than they normally would.

Healthcare workers are being infected by the virus at a pace never before seen in this pandemic. In the past week, there were 1,745 new coronavirus cases among healthcare workers in L.A. County, more than double what was reported the week before.

“It’s the highest weekly number of healthcare workers testing positive for COVID-19 that we have ever reported,” Ferrer said. “And that has a tremendous impact on our capacity throughout our entire healthcare system to take care of those who are sick.”

Statewide, California’s hospitals exceeded 10,000 COVID-19 patients for the first time. That’s double the number from less than three weeks ago.

Unless trends change, this surge will be unlike the first two waves that have already resulted in thousands of deaths in Los Angeles County. Ghaly projected last week that based on trends, L.A. County will run short of ICU beds before Christmas — a shortage that never occurred in the previous two waves.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely this..

While some of your older relatives might be upset if you don't see them in person but compare that to if they ended up sick and you were left wondering if you were the one that got them sick..

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Cokebabies likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8 months later.......if only.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It was never a reality. The large majority of Europe and the Americas are having roughly the same results as the US. Islands have almost all generally done better than us though.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Interesting to note that Africa as a whole has largely been unhurt by covid. It seems to be primarily due to their very young average age relative to the rest of the world.

Average age of Egypt is 24 and they are officially at 70 deaths per million versus our average age of 38 and 1000 deaths per million. One of the guys I follow on YouTube for some Egypt and ancient civilization stuff was just in Cairo and he said mask wearing is practically non existent.

Nigeria average age is 18 and they are officially around 6 deaths per million.

South Africa average age is around 28 and they are at 430 deaths per million and also have the issue of endemic HIV/AIDS.

I would guess that these official numbers for various African countries are not completely accurate though considering the case of Brazil. They are about 31.5 average age and around 900 deaths per million.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Wrong. We are doing worse per capita than almost every country in the world with a population over a million. No surprise though with the no mask no care selfish Trumpers.

Covid cases per million
    Screenshot_20201224-115458~2.png

Not that you can't actually look this stuff up yourself.

#10810 deb4rockets, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes I use that site. You can also scroll to the right and sort by deaths per million. Population sizes of each country are also listed. Cases per million will be dependent on testing. We are doing a massive amount of testing.

For instance let’s compare Mexico v US. We have just under 6 times the cases of Mexico however we have roughly the same number of recorded deaths per million (US is 1010 per million and Mexico is 928 per million). Does this mean Mexico is controlling the virus better because they have less recorded cases? Of course not. It just means they aren't testing as much. We can see this because Mexico has done roughly 26k tests per million and we have done about 725k tests per million.

Further, lets look deeper at those death totals which are low. It was just announced that they have about 255k excess deaths so far this year in Mexico. Not all of those deaths will be attributable to Covid, however if we take a rough estimate of the excess deaths we have seen in the US from Covid and from non-Covid causes we can derive a ratio that we can possibly apply to Mexico. If they are about the same as the US then about 70-75% of those excess deaths should be Covid deaths. With that in mind we can guess that the official death totals in Mexico are underestimated by roughly 60k.

This would mean their deaths is closer to 1300 per million versus US of about 1000 per million.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xcess-deaths-pass-250-000-amid-covid-outbreak

Mexico’s Excess Deaths Pass 250,000 Amid Covid Outbreak

Mexico has recorded 40% more deaths than expected this year, according to a report on excess mortality in the country.

The country has recorded 254,625 more deaths -- from all causes -- than expected through late November, the report said. The amount is more than double the 118,598 confirmed Covid-19 deaths in the country.

Excess deaths include those who died because they couldn’t get treatment at overloaded hospitals or were never tested even though they had the virus. The country’s management of the virus and the clarity of its data has been criticized because of the excess deaths.

Russia is another example of this that I highlighted in this thread here https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...ars-cov-2-virus.303386/page-539#post-13295235

Venezuela and Colombia would be another example of flawed data and I'm willing to bet Colombia's numbers are worse than reported as well. If just looked at the totals you would think Venezuela was doing great, but this doesn't hold up to the smell test considering Colombia is reporting 2000% more deaths per million than Venezuela and both countries share a porous border.

Brazil is also another major country in the Americas with out of control Covid infections and likely vastly underreported deaths due to Covid.

This study was from October and detailed excess deaths due to "natural causes" in Brazil and saw a 22% increase in natural cause deaths or about 118k. With this we can do our same math as before and see there is roughly that same level of underreporting as we saw in Mexico. We can roughly guess that Brazilian Covid deaths should be increased by 50% to get a number closer to reality.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7576323/

COVID-19 in Brazil: 150,000 deaths and the Brazilian underreporting

In the same period, the total deaths by natural causes expected were 529,659 and the excess mortality rate (deaths) by natural causes was 118,406, thus, an increase of 22% in deaths by natural causes was observed by official government agencies (Painel de análise do excesso de mortalidade por causas naturais no Brasil, 2020). Brazil has an annual increase in deaths by natural causes ∼1,000 to 2,000 new deaths, mainly related to an aging population.

I think you'll find that if you look beyond what you want to see and want to scapegoat that we certainly are not the worst. I can keep going with this, but I don't have time. I'm sure you can look this stuff up for yourself too.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I thought it was lack of testing, but it's something much more fundamental. Tests show a ton of people in Africa with antibodies, apparently.

More impoverished countries, with shorter life expectancy and more endemic diseases probably result in two things: fewer elderly people, like you say, and also ramped up immune systems. But it's interesting that South Africa, the more affluent nation, is having the biggest problem, and Nigeria too now, apparently.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

This is my last response to you. You are exactly like @bigtexxx. Probably him. Let me tell you the reality of the situation right now. The US has the worst President in US History in every way. He led a no mask, no lockdown, no social distancing stance which got us to where we are now. He did nothing but encourage the spread. He is a narcissistic fool who spread lies and propaganda for months. What has that led us to?

Why is that important? This is the current situation. This is what it led to.
    We are in a crisis. Hospitals are overflowing,
    doctors and nurses are overworked and stressed out, mobile morgue trucks are being used, makeshift tent hospitals are being used, at some hospitals ambulances are waiting in line to admit patients, and in some areas people are being driven for hours to get to a hospital with beds. Over 85 million are expected to travel during the holidays, which certainly won't help. Most of us will be waiting months to get vaccinated and it could get to the point where doctors have to choose who lives or dies.

Fact: Top 16 countries in the world death counts yesterday in order.

USA, Brazil, Mexico, Germany, UK,
    Italy, Russia, Poland, South Africa,
    India, France, Ukraine, Turkey, Columbia, Spain, and Canada.

The US has some of the top medical experts and hospitals in the world, but a leader who simply got us in this situation. I'm not going to compare us to countries like Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia, Russia, or other countries with questionable leaders and such. Let's compare Western World countries in the world right now with highest Covid death counts. Not 10 months ago, but yesterday.

USA
    3,414 deaths / Population 330,676,544

Germany, UK, Italy, France, Spain, and Canada / 2809 deaths / Population 362,237,518

Trump did nothing but spread lies and propaganda about the seriousness of Covid.
    We are in a bad situation. One of the worst in the world. Trump is to blame. I won't debate a Trumper so blinded by Trump's incompetence that he starts comparing us to countries with crooked and corrupt leaders. (Even though Trump would love to rule like them). So, this wi) be my last response to your comments.

#10814 deb4rockets, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So my parents are patients with a primary care physician in the Methodist system. Texas switched their 1B rollout plan. Its a little different than most other states. Over 65 or pre-existing condition go next (after health care workers and nursing homes). They have already gotten a "warning text" that they are in the 1B group and to watch for a text to schedule an appointment for their vaccine "soon". Apparently in the next 1-4 weeks.

Neither have pre-existing conditions...they are just over 65.

robbie380 likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You are preaching to the wrong person. I'm sorry to inform you that I'm not bigtexx and I haven't really agreed with how Covid has been handled in the US by anyone.

You do recognize that France, Spain, Italy, and UK all have roughly the same deaths per million as the US does?

Canada certainly has shut everything down and avoided the spread. My gf is Canadian and she has a different perspective than yours with the measures Canada took, but they have been effective. Germany certainly had done very well up until this recent wave. They are experiencing deaths per capita roughly the same as the US currently.

Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, and all of the Americas are the "Western world" or whatever is implied by that euphemism.

It's disappointing you chose to ignore data because it didn't suit what you want to see. Hope you have a good Christmas.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Little bit of warmth and soreness at the injection site. Had a slight headache/pressure last night but otherwise I feel great

figured the warmth was the Wi-Fi chips uploading data to the government.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is your body now a proud owner of Windows thanks to Billy Gates?

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Bill Gates now owns me.
    It's the price you pay to avoid getting this mysterious flu.
    Stay strong people! I succumbed to the will of the government and big pharma. First it was the masks, now vaccine chips...i don't know what's next for me.

Others who have gotten this vaccine, are ya'll using the command prompt when you wake up? I have to type in "C:\run body.exe -24hrs" in the morning, otherwise I just feel so....blue...and like death.

Ziggy, No Worries and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member