1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: "I've been told Morey would offer Ben Simmons plus more"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He still has to bring in talent. Tilman may be calling the shots in regards to large acquisitions and ****, but he can still make a name for himself if he finds adequate role players to play for us. Good role players could potentially turn into trading pieces to move around for draft picks and ****. I get that the big picture, Stone may not have much say, but he very much has influence in managing the team and finding talent. I hope he does a good job for our sake.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s hilarious that someone actually thinks Kendrick Nunn and Duncan Robinson are the difference makers that would make the Rockets trade Harden to Brooklyn.

Either the Rockets get one of Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Siakam, Murray or Adebayo, or Harden isn’t going anywhere right now.

D-rock, cmoak1982 and treyk3 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely agree, I wouldn’t say no to Robinson and Nunn as additional players though.

D-rock likes this.
  4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Neither would I. They both are useful role players, and Nunn has more upside than that.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t think Ben will ever be able to shoot, so the questions is can you win a title as he is.

I think the answer is no.

the funny thing is playing out this year makes it unlikely we ever trade Harden for him. With all the shooting Philly has added, and given that he’s already playing with one of the best centers in the league, if they can’t win or advance with Simmons, then the Rockets can’t either. If they can win with him, then they probably won’t trade him.

Stephen_A likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

We will see.
    Their relationship is not the best in the first place and he probably cant wait to ask to be traded to Los Angeles.

finsraider likes this.
  7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Agreed. Short of the type of deal we gave the Clips for CP3 where you get 3 quality rotational players and picks the best thing you can hope for a is quality YOUNG player. Simmons is already an all-star and still has potential beyond that.

8. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

With the current state of the Covington trade and the subsequent trade with Detroit, we cannot expect Tilman to spend money at any level, which is evidenced by the last three years. Why didn't we trade for a potentialy great role-player in Kennard? He was traded for the 19th pick in this year's draft. This also doesn't even mention all of the trades he has insisted upon to reduce salary at the cost of players or picks, as Nook has pointed about many other series of trades. The excuse is that we want the full non-tax payer MLE, but as we all know there is not a FA available that is even close to the player of Covington especially for the MLE. Even if we were to use the full MLE, good established role players will demand more money than we can offer. Furthermore, what player will want to sign here with the dysfunction, star players being more than just disgruntled, and an owner who is now notorious for being a cheap POS? I keep hearing CF throw out names like Ibaka. He may take a pay-cut, but to go to a contender, which we are not. Still, he is no better than what Covington gave us last year. I don't think it is up to Stone to find good role-players as he is handcuffed by a cheap ass owner. Just like prior years, we will hope that we can find an undrafted, underplayed, or undervalued players that we can get at a bargain value. I am a bit more optimistic about this approach (the only approach) because of our coaches' (with Silas) reputation for player development. I appreciate your optimism, but since Tilman became the owner has has sabotaged our present and future outlook. Relying on hidden gems is not just a gamble, but an very long-shot. What role-players do you think we should pursue and at what salary? I just don't see any options that give and validity to the Covington trade or the transactions from the last three years.

Edit: Are there any reports that say Stone has actual real influence or input with managing the team? Why do you think Morey jumped ship? He was forced to trade for Westbrook, and Morey is on of the most well-respected GMs in the league. Why will this change with a first time rookie GM like Stone. I have serious doubts. Actually, I think this is just not true, at all.

Salud Amigo,

Thomas

jch1911 likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm starting to have a feeling that a big trade is what's gonna happen, and it won't involve the Sixers, i know i probably shouldn't read much into what Morey said about them being cool with betting on Simmons and Embiid, and that moving a 1st with protection might not limit their trade potential much, but still, the fact that the Celtics realistically won't win **** as they're built, the fact that they dealayed the deadline about the option with Hayward, the fact that the Hawks drafted a 4 and Collins is about to get paid...makes me think a blockbuster trade might be in the works here, between us, Boston and Atlanta, if not more, some like:

HOU gets: Brown, Collins, picks from Boston

BOS gets: Harden, PJ

ATL gets: Hayward, picks and/or rookie scale players from Boston

And wouldn't be shocked if a 4th team ends up in it getting Kemba for young players/pick or something (teams like Knicks, Bulls etc).

#289 Vivi, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  10. ThrillaNManilla

I just replied to ElPigto, and my opinion aligns with yours. You cannot give a grade or determine how well Stone is doing as a GM when the decisions about the roster, trades, etc. are not ultimately his to make. This is a very dark time for us as Rockets fans, and unfortunately we have only seen it getting worse year after year since Tilman became the owner. At first I thought the Covington trade was adequate and pointed towards a full-rebuild, but the subsequent trade with Detroit all points to Tilman having complete control of roster decisions. We literally gave up MORE assists for Tilman to save money under the guise of using the full non-taxpayer MLE. We all know there is no FA who will come close to offering what Covington offer to this team especially as it was constructed last year. I may not have been a have as long as other posters as I am only 33, but I bleed Rockets colors and this is so hard to accept.

J Sizzle likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would absolutely take Brown, Collins and picks.
    Still try to pick up Wood and see what you could get for Westbrook or let him pick up his trade value here for another season.

12. ThrillaNManilla

(Tangent that does not address your post) Vivi, that is a crazy trade idea, but I like your creativity. All of the recent trades the Sixers have made, which include trading for Curry, and to a lesser extent Green lead me to believe that Morey and the Sixers are constructing a roster with both Simmons and Embid in mind. I am not saying a Harden trade cannot happen for Simmons, but they are constructing a team that is not dependent upon a Harden trade.

Do you really think that Boston is ready to break up the Brown and Tatum foundation? They had a chance to trade for AD yet Ainge overvalues his players and assets. They are a relatively young team, so why would they trade Brown even when they would be getting the superior player in return? Furthermore, teams know about the dynamics in Houston especially regarding Harden's trade request. Do you really think Ainge would give up decent value for Harden? I see him making even more lopsided trade offers than ever before especially when trying to deal for Harden. I just don't see Brown being traded because it would break up their young nucleolus of Tatum and Brown whom have years to grow together.

On a side note, have you seen our roster as it currently stands? it is truly terrible outside of Harden and to a way lesser extent what version of Westbrook we will get. This is compounded by the fact that we just traded one of the best 3&D players in Covington for a used box of condoms and a future Portland FRP. I don't see Harden being traded unless we get back a player with "player recognition" that helps to bring fans to the games. It seems the cat it out of the bag, Tilman only cares are his ROI and financial bottom line. Even if the Brown trade was on the table, I still don't see us trading for him. The casuals have no idea who he is or how great of a player he can be.

Vivi likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

AD very publicly demanded a trade to one team. They still got a great return.

Harden is locked up longer and hasn’t actually came out publicly.

D-rock likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Celtics leaking to their media "we looked into Harden and we were warned to stay away from him. Many things paint a lot of people in a bad way".

So Vivi is right. Celtics are trying to drop the price.

Vivi, joshuaao, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ThrillaNManilla

I see your point, but from what I remember there was a time before that when AD could have been had by Boston. They may have had to roll the dice on him resigning, but the opportunity was still there. Besides AD, there was an option to try and trade for other all-stars or superstars with their cache of assets. You are right, The Pelicans got a hell of a return for AD, which is a package that the Rockets should only accept for Harden. Correct me if I am wrong, but all reports say that Harden only want to go to Brooklyn. Yes. This is slightly different than the actual player making a trade demand, but the Harden trade demand has come from reputable sources. I just don't see too much of a difference between the two trade demands. Maybe I am wrong. Thank you for your reply.

malakas likes this.
  16. ThrillaNManilla

I bet this means not including Brown, as I said to Vivi.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah there are reports that he only wants Brooklyn, but then is ok with Philly.
    Really don’t know because he hasn’t said anything, and then posts cryptic pics on Instagram.
    I think with Boston and AD they were afraid to give up assets for AD when he said he wanted to be in LA and he only had a year left. Similar to what happened with Kyrie.

Really I don’t think anyone actually knows except a few people. I just don’t think we should sell low or accept a crap offer for a top 3 player in his prime, on a contract that is over a year.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the other thing, can’t let the media try and devalue Harden either. Pretty typical behavior. Don’t fall for it and get the value you should get.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Low key if the Rockets sign Wood we are a championship contender with that trade.

Russ
    Eric / Ben McLemore
    Brown
    Wood/House
    Collins

That's four all-star caliber players and only one of them being ball dominant.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. ThrillaNManilla

Yes. I agree. Fortunately, Harden has two years plus a PO option left on his contract. Let him rot on the bench and complain about not being traded, but like you said, we should not sell low. However, I see where Harden is coming from with how this franchise has been handled since Tilman took over as an owner. On the other hand, he gets paid soooo much money to play the game of basketball. I just think about my days in the military when I was signed to contracts and little to no say about where I was going for my next duty station, so I have less compassion for him than others may have. I also got paid about .0001% percent of his annual salary.

Astrodome, cmoak1982 and malakas like this.