1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

No More Picks, Yao!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by miamiflorida, Apr 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. miamiflorida

miamiflorida Member

We all know you are nice, but your duty is low post position, and put the ball in the basket. Those picks move you away from your position! You pick up sesames and lost watermelons.

2. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

This post actually brings up a point ive been wanting to point out. Besides the fact that it brings him away from the basket, it puts him in prime position to get fouls called.

I think one of the things refs may lock down on more in theplayoffs is Yao's picks.

I dont care what anyone says, a lot of Yao's picks are illegal....He hits players with his hip a lot because he rolls too soon. The other day i was watching NBA tv and Ronnie Nunn, the NBA's head of officials has a segment called "You make the call" he pointed out that those picks should be fouls.

Everytime Yao sets a pick I hold my breath, even in the regular season, but now Im really scared of those fouls being called,

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

4. Shawndme7

Shawndme7 Contributing Member

My post isnt about last nights game picks, im talking about Yao's picks in general

5. ihatehyena

ihatehyena Member

At least no more picks for Steve who never use it.

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Honestly, you can make an argument that every thread on here can go into the game thread. But this isn't a "Kobe Walked" thread.

I'm pretty sure it's annoying for the thread starter when all you post is a link. Let the admins do their jobs and stop policing threads.

7. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

[​IMG]

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yao Ming has no reason to be going so far out of position! Well thats not quite true! The only reason is thats how he keeps himself involved in the Game. He starts doing this when the Guards take over the Game and are refusing him involvement as the focus of our gameplan.
    Yao Ming leader of the Rockets is just a fabrication or wishful thinking. Steve Francis is still ther floor leader.

9. miamiflorida

miamiflorida Member

You maybe right that doing picks is Yao Ming's ways of getting nvolved. But whatever the reason it is, it is more a waste than a help. He should stand close to basket and tip in the ball or get the rebounds. By that way, he could involve himself more in the game. If no balls from the pointing guard, the rebounds are a resounce.

I don't remember seeing Shark do picks for his teammates or any other centers, at least not as much as Yao Ming did. Let the forwards and guards do the picks among themselves. A center is a center, a center has a center's duty.

10. Compgeek

Compgeek Member

I agree with this stupid "token" pick that Yao sets all over the place. But what makes you think this is not a JVG-designed set play? I am sure if Jeff doesn't like the picks, he will scream Rape like there is no tomorrow.

Yao's time and energy are better serve penetrating or fighting for low post.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

High Picks can lead to pick and rolls or pick and pops

that is what was so effective in first meeting between the two teams in December. Steve usually did not look for Yao Ming rolling but instead took it to the rim. The Rockets must not stop using this because Shaq does not like to defend it. I only wish that Steve would look for Yao to Pop or Roll and try to get him the ball more instead of driving it in to the paint or settling for pounding the ball around the court.

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Karl Malone has been setting illegal picks for 20 years. If they're not gonna call it on him, i'm glad they're not gonna call it on Yao. Except of course, on that crucial 4th quarter possession in which fisher flopped.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I didn't have time to read every post in the thread because of the obvious unrelated crap that was inserted but....

Anyone not understanding that a Yao PnR is an essential element to force Shaq to play perimeter defense and possibly get a perimeter mismatch with Shaq on a smaller quicker player just...how can say it...just flat out doesn't understand much about basketball strategy.

14. munco

munco Member

I agree Yao needs to post up more but the high pick and roll was effective too. Shaq never comes out on it, so Francis and Mobley both were freed up on it many times. The Kings exposed this as a major weakness with the Lakers 2 years ago. While Bibby is a great shooter off the screen. Francis should still be able to hit the open look or take it in to the hoop. I thought the high pick and roll was not a bad play, but we do need to run it less and run Yao in the low post more.

15. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

what was that supposed to mean? you want me to stop policing thread policing? or do you have a problem with something else i said?

16. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Some of you guys really need to learn the word "coaching
    strategy". Our penetration was great last night because
    Yao drew Shaq out.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Everyone says Yao is an ultimate team player. When he sets picks all night long for his teammates along the 3 pts line, I would think it's the game plan of the coach. Anyone doesn't agree?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

oh stop that . . . that using logic stuff

I they have o accept that then JVG isn't GOD and
    they could not just plame the Gaurds for everything

Heaven forbid that it is ACTUALLY part of the game plan
    and
    they cannot blame steve for it

Rocke tRiver

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i have to agree....yao's picks are basically useless

nothing is accomplished when he sets them. either he loses position down low when he goes out to set the pick or he doesn't look to receive the ball after the pick or there is no thought in giving the ball to him on the pick. his picks don't help get his teammate with the ball past his defender and they hurt yao's positioning. i would be curious to understand why van gundy still has these picks in his system.

20. miamiflorida

miamiflorida Member

Hehe, you think I don't know the concept of pick and roll to start this thead. I played basketball from middle school to college, though not in this basketball country. I might have not eaten pork, but surely have seen many times a pig walking.

If it is coaching, it is not successful coaching. If Yao Ming had more chances to have balls in low post or even got a few more rebounds, yesterday's game wouldn't have lost. We don't usually use bombs to shot at mosquitos, do we?

No hard feelings.