1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Garner

Garner Member

What terrible management by Tillman.

I'm out on this franchise until Tilman is gone.

Later folks.

amaru, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yes. Morey had his chances. Time for a new era.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He never really got a fair chance. Really wish we woulda let him tank. Or the owner woulda been more willing to spend into Luxury Tax.

DaDakota, kjayp, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i suppose billy beane did the same in baseball, but it's crazy that a gm, not a coach or player, is most responsible for how teams play today. the massive spike in 3 pointers was from morey and the sloan conference. the abandonment of the mid-range was also us. people think we're some oddball team that doesn't shoot mid-range while ignoring just how much other teams have removed it from their shot charts. when it comes to shot selection, the rest of the league is basically just the rockets minus 5 years. they're all headed this direction.

there was some chart of the 200 most popular spots to shoot from on the court. in the past there was the paint, some 3's and a lot of baseline and wing mid-range shots. now literally all 200 are 3's and in the paint. and hilariously, the shots in the paint basically form the outline of a hand giving the middle finger to the mid-range portion of the court.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, interesting observation.

Beane and Morey are innovators, who looked for the edge that led to winning. Because of their positions, they were able to shape teams, which then impacted how other teams played as well. I see James Harden as an innovator also, he's adapted his game to this approach and added some moves that are now being copied around the league.

Likely an end of an era for us, but it will be interesting to see what's next. I think Morey realized he had taken this team with MDA about as far as it would go and wasn't really into messing with the aftermath.

D-rock likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is a mid market team. Morey knew that coming in. That's why he worked on the fringes and never pushed to go deep into the tax.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Respect my man. I appreciate way you more after this post haha.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

9. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Man... I can't blame Morey.... (If he really quit vs fired) In this hot mess I would probably quit too..... I won't even be mad if Harden demands a trade with the way Tilman has run the organization to the ground.... I love my rockets (players and team) but the office no so much...

#89 linvetb6, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So, who should play Daryl Morey in the basketball sequel to Moneyball -- Moreyball? Matt Damon?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While many appreciate all that he has done for this franchise now, I think he will be appreciated even more a year or two or three from now in hindsight.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

I hope he retire a maverick &make Luka a center and destroy their roster and draft picks for years to come

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, if only Chris Farely was still alive.

jacoby likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thank you Daryl, you will be missed.

Even the fools who do not realize it now will see how valuable and essential you were to making the Rockets so relevant, not just in NBA but all over the world.

#94 D-rock, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It isn't Morey's fault the NBA is sometimes scripted and the Rockets get shafted. Those that took Morey for granted will see the unraveling when things resume.

Lawlruschang, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Seth Rogen.

17. jojolover

jojolover Member

It is sad the Daryl Morey is leaving. It is also sad that so few people are paying him respect here. All the best, Daryl.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

77 trades, 2nd most in 13 year period.

Morey worked his ace off.

Richie_Rich, Lawlruschang and amaru like this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I saw this earlier in the year : NBA Shot Charts For Every Team Pre-Covid-19

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.