1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turning Points - (4th quarter film)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. haiti_king

haiti_king Member

That would require coaching??

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

But one of those players dunks though, dunking is more valuable than anything! Duh.

topfive likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I heard leading into the Foster game against OKC. I cannot look for it now as I am downtown. I did a quick search and could not find it. I will have to look again later.

Also consider that Paul gets the delay of game against the Wolves called.

The very next game two delay of games are called on Chris Paul.

Game 7 against the Rockets Foster reminds Paul that he was the referee when Paul lost to the Spurs in 2008 in the elimination game.

Foster then tells Paul he doesn't have to hurry up tying his shoes as they are cleaning the floor...... he then calls a delay of game on Paul anyway at a key part of the game.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I heard it from Popovich first and then Fizdale made reference to it in regards to the last 6 minutes of a game... and in this case there were 8 minutes left.

I do agree with you that the popularity of 3 point shots, and the two teams involved likely skew those numbers. It is likely a lot easier to make up a 7 point deficit for teams that shoot 3's like the Rockets, but it is also likely harder to do so against the Lakers defense.

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mike might have to switch up the rotation or increase Harden’s minutes...it is obvious that we consistently lose all momentum when Harden is subbed out, especially in the stretch from 2 minutes left in the 3rd to 8 minutes left in the 4th when he sits

the only reason we didn’t in game 1 is because Russ made a bunch of jumpers

D-rock, RayRay10 and HP3 like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I think MDA is banking hard on Harden really winning the minutes against AD only units. But at this point if Westbrook is getting killed as badly as he has been, then it's time for him match those minutes.

Great thread btw, I need more of these.

D-rock and Kim like this.
  7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Nice post OP! Appreciated the video cuts, its like a mini zach lowe article.

Agreed about giving credit to the Lakers defense and Rockets miscue was the cause of that run which decided the game.

However it needs to be emphasized how LONG a stretch this was and how completely ineffective the Rockets offense was during this time.

James harden enters the game for Ben Mclemore. Score 89 - 85 Lakers lead. There is 9:27 remaining in the 4th quarter.

With 1:55 seconds remaining in the game, the score is Lakers 105 Rockets 95. The Rockets have scored 10 points in nearly 8 minutes.

Lakers defense limits Harden to 2 pts 1 assist, 1 TO - 0-2 fg and 2 free throws from that 9:27 mark to under the 1 minute mark when the game is decided. Most concerning is only 2 SHOTS !

Lakers hold rockets to 17 points the rest of the game ( 20 in the entire quarter). Take away the 5-7 points the Rockets scored in garbage time ( last 50 seconds of the game, down 10+) the Lakers held the Rockets 15 or even 13 points in the 4th quarter.

It would be interesting to look at all/most the Rockets offensive possessions to see how the Lakers defense is limiting his field goal attempts and looks. Is the trap occurring earlier, more on pick and rolls? In the post? Isolation without a screener? Is Harden being aggressive or passive?

I'm sure the Rockets staff is looking at it and i'm guessing possible solutions to get Harden the ball/shots is getting the ball in the post, avoiding setting up every Harden play with a screener - (which seems to me leads to more traps) and getting Harden the ball on the move via, pindowns, cuts and off-ball action.

FrontRunner, Kim and HP3 like this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That super intense defensive scheme that killed us in the 1st half of game 2? That's what they saved for the 4th quarter of game 3.

Lakers are legitimately impressive on how well they are adjusting to the Rockets. I thought it was a dumb LeBron/AD iso-heavy team with a figurehead coach, but they are legitimately getting better every game. We really should have taken advantage of them gassing themselves out game 2 as well.

Still beatable though. We are in these games and the difference has been Markieff going off for no reason, and Rondo going off for no reason.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If I have more time, I may get into more film slow-mo and potential counter measures. The reality is the 2020 LeBron Lakers are playing a similar defense against Harden to the 2015 LeBron Cavs against Curry. In the pivotal game 4 of the 2015 NBA Finals, Curry just made Draymond the playmaker and it worked. Who can be the Rockets' Draymond on offense? Westbrook? Covington? The openings are there for plays to be made.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we had someone that could run the 2nd team who doesn't turn it over and take wild assed shots we would not be....

DD

ak99999 and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ak99999 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Lebron is still very good and can shut down an offense.....

Rondo is really killing us and we did not expect/plan for that......

Harden is going to have to play a different style of offense.....

WB is doing Westbrick stuff....

We look tired in the 4th....

ak99999 and GotGame15 like this.
  13. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Nice post and i agree it was the lakers defense that won the game. I don't buy rondo really killing us in the 4th, because if he doesn't make those the rest of the series likely kuzma/kcp/morris will have better shooting games, it boiled down to the rockets offense becoming stagnant. They doubled harden w/o leaving the shooters open, really wasn't any cutting or ball movement which is odd considering its been used vs harden all season. we were scoring at will in the first half, the double needed adjustment in the 4th.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Because we don’t have the proper coaching and strategy in place.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like this take , a few things tho .

1 ) the lakers have adjusted to us . They are playing a completely different lineup , mcgee and howard are glued to the bench.
    2) the rockets need to play more of their game , but so many of our open 3's are generated by harden that doubling him is an effective strategy to make us get our 3's with additional steps
    3) WB , the ultimate wildcard , flashes of brilliance and moments of dumb-****ery all in one . I thought he played more within himself last game , however, unfortunately athleticism is now a question . He barreled over guys a few times , but hasnt had a vicious finish at the rim yet .
    4) I believe our bench unit ( non harden squad ) was better than the lakers last game , but when we should have pulled away by 15 the refs missed some calls and kept the game within 5 ... like you said this influenced the rockets belief and made them believe 1-2 possession game . I think in the first half we did almost everything right offensively; we will look at film.
    5) MDA has continued giving rivers and mac chances which is more than he's done with his 8-9 guys in the past. We NEED them to step up , he has to keep playing them . They have to play better . I love Russ , but every instinct in me says he can be better as a 25-30 min guy vs a 35 min player right now. Give those extra mins to rivers and maclemore . I believe MDA wants to do this but the game is too tight . With house out last night there was no excuse . Like i said in point 4 we more than survived the maclemore minutes in the first half, ****ing refs imo
    6) we need covington , house , PJ , and green to continue making plays .

oh and final point

We did a good job of keeping our heads down and fighting through the bad calls . No one went crazy and it didnt effect our effort too much . But, we cant let it go unanswered. The front office needs to have been conducting its own film reviews and sending **** to the league . Idk whats going on , but the officiating has been go awful ( not just in rockets games ! ) that im openly questioning if the league is fixed this year .

D-rock, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA needs to change the rotation, Rivers and BMac (feel he is played better than his empty stats suggest) have been ZEROES for 2 straight losses.

Rockets need smarter and longer players. Luc and Demarre may not have the offensive potential as Rivers-Mclemore but they are longer, better switch defenders and protect the ball better.

And I would love to see Bruno defending AD for 5 minutes.

With RoCo at less than 100%, Rockets need rim protection help.

So Saith Red, RayRay10 and riko like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, excellent thread.

Much better basketball talk than the usual garbage on CF after a loss.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe our own Green.

Jeff has the skill but perhaps not the confidence. Seems to work best with Harden though.

Even vs. Lakers 2-3 zone, Green at FT line should be easy money - shoot jumper, attack rim or kick it out to corner 3 (taller and longer so should have better passing angles than Russ).

But MDA has to stop the Russ only line ups, not in Rockets best interest to win, especially vs. Lakers who are playing both AD and Lebron when Harden rests.

RayRay10 and Kim like this.
  19. isaacjunk

isaacjunk Member

No Nook had it right:
    http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/wpCalc.php
    7 point lead, 8 mins left, opp possession...81% chance of winning in the nba

RayRay10 and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

And it always comes down to turnovers.

ak99999, RayRay10 and Kim like this.