1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Harden driving (and trying to finish) more?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Aug 21, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Playoff basketball is different. Not only are opposing teams more locked in defensively and better prepared to deny drives to the basket, you also have to exert far effort on the defensive end yourself which takes away the energy needed for attacking the basket.

D-rock, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sorry didn’t feel like going back and adding all the numbers from every year.

Here’s the link to the drive stats.

https://stats.nba.com/players/drives/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=DRIVES&dir=1

Didn’t look at everything earlier. He is also passing it 2 more times off his drives in the playoffs compared to regular season.

SuperMarioBro and D-rock like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ding Ding! We have a winner! I think he should do that whenever he gets a mismatch throughout the game. He hit a stepback soon after he posted up in the 4th in Game 2.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. Dort played amazing D yesterday
    2. Harden still had an amazing game.
    3. He can still get to the rim but IMO he is taking wht is there.
    4. If we play like this for 20 more games, we are winning the title.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious

how many drives per game do you think he should be at? or at least at what level? like giannis drives level?

he took 11 threes last game

how many drives do you think he had? just a guess

D-rock likes this.
  6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Lol, I don't know if it was your intention, but your post is worded rather combatively like you're trying to corner me, but I'm honestly not sure. Again, it was just a gut feeling from watching him play lately, and one I openly admit I could be wrong about, which is what I posted the thread to discuss. I don't have a number in mind, just a sense that he was driving a meaningful amount less than he used to, and attempting to finish less than normal when he DID drive. Someone posted stats in this thread that actually confirmed my suspicions, at least for this series, but I've also seen some good explanations for that.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

If Dort is that pesky. There's also non 1:1 wrinkles Rockets can run like setting double screens to get free for a jumper or a new angle at driving to the hoop.

8. HardenVolumeOne

Harden is converting 2 point shots at over 80% in the bubble. I could be wrong, but the guys on at&t said in the kings game that he was only behind Giannis when it came to converting in the restricted area since the restart

D-rock, vlaurelio and SuperMarioBro like this.
  9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Sounds like all the more reason to drive more. But maybe he's just being more selective about it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly I think he's just mastered the pace of the playoffs. The game has gone at the pace James Harden wants for like 2 years now, the most talented team in NBA history couldn't fight it off. They played our pace, they were forced into isoball.

I think he's just pacing himself, and that's wise because he's not at peak fitness yet. I think by round 2 we will see peak Harden, as insane as that is to think about given his performances thus far.

Plus, very important: it is working insanely well. We are powerfully up 2-1 with Westbrook out. This team is acing this assignment, whatever it's doing. Would have been nice to be 3-0, but we have to trust the process. Harden seems to be more aware of not burning himself out for bigger games.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

12. vlaurelio

or that's what's OKC's giving him , he's extremely careful with not turning the ball over, and he's pacing not to over exhaust and injure himself (see Luka)

for this playoffs.. he's second in points on drives with 15 points per game with absolutely ZERO turnovers per game.. only behind Luka and Kawhi who are tied at first with 16 points per game

Giannis is only producing 9.3 ppg on drives and Lebron only 8 ppg pn drives

that's still elite considering the rockets is missing their 2nd best player and $40m/year hole in the lineup

if there's anything to complain about, it's his 3 pt pctg. but it sure is alot better to get those out these early in the playoffs

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden scored at will in the first half inside the paint. That stopped in the second half mostly due to Dort.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I liked when Harden posted up last night. He did it 2-3 times and I think it led to buckets. I think he should do more of that and have guys cut to the basket

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

guess who currently leads all the players this playoffs after 3 games in points produced on drives

D-rock likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fair question. I cant watch Harden on TV and compute this far, my brain is still at the - what happened to his hairline, did Covid do that? - phase.

D-rock likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Why should he drive ?

he will get hammered and the refs will let it go . Better to miss a 3 and already be back on D than take it to the rack , get bodied , and the other team starts running down the court

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You need to relax, bruh. As I said in the OP, I'm not attacking Harden. Plus, it seems you may be missing the point, and not making a meaningful argument here. Even if Harden was the most effective driver of all time with a 10,000 point lead in points off drives over the next best player, it is still possible that he should be driving more. I'm more interested in comparing Harden to himself than to other players. I'm not saying Harden isn't a great driver. I'm saying I think he usually drives more, and I'm wondering what has changed. (Though some thoughtful people have given me a few good answers)

19. vlaurelio

lol 10000 pts per game on drives and u still not satisfied?

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Dort? Never heard the scrub before.

D-rock and J.R. like this.