1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 compensatory extras give Texans 10 draft picks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2473961

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Barring trades, the Texans will enter next month's draft with 10 picks, thanks to a pair of compensatory selections they were awarded on Monday.

The NFL gave 16 teams a combined 32 compensatory picks, including choices in the sixth and seventh rounds to the Texans.

Those slots represent the 200th and 248th overall picks in the April 24-25 draft.

"We're happy about it because those extra picks give us more flexibility," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said.

In last year's draft, Casserly used a compensatory pick in the sixth round to select quarterback Drew Henson, who was playing baseball in the New York Yankees' minor-league system. Earlier this month, Casserly traded Henson to Dallas for a third-round pick in 2005.

When the Texans debuted in 2002, Casserly said he wanted to stockpile draft choices beyond their first two years of existence. Before those seasons, the NFL gave them additional selections for being an expansion team.

The Texans have the 10th pick in the first round. Because the team still has so many needs, Casserly is more likely to trade down for another pick than to package draft choices to move up.

"I'm reluctant to trade up, but I wouldn't eliminate it," he said. "It just depends on how the first nine picks go. When our turn comes, we might get an offer to trade down that's so good we can't pass it up. We'll just have to see, but we like the luxury of having extra picks.

"I knew we had the potential to get another compensatory pick or two. I don't know that anyone fully understands the formula, but we feel very good about it."

The league's formula is meant to compensate teams that lose free agents who are more productive than the free agents they acquire. Last year the Texans lost linebackers Jeff Posey and Keith Mitchell and offensive linemen Ryan Young and Cameron Spikes. They signed outside linebacker Charlie Clemons and running back Stacey Mack.

The 32 compensatory picks awarded Monday will be in addition to the 223 picks already slotted in the seven-round draft.

The Texans now have extra picks in the fourth, sixth and seventh rounds.

Philadelphia, St. Louis and the New York Jets received four compensatory picks each.

"We're going to vote on increasing the practice squad to eight, which we're in favor of," Casserly said. "If the increase is approved, those extra picks will come at the perfect time.

"The more quality players you have, the better you practice, and the better you practice, the better you should play."

Also Monday, the league also announced four nationally televised games for opening weekend in September.

For the third consecutive year, the NFL will begin the season with a prime-time game Thursday night. Indianapolis at New England is a rematch of last season's AFC Championship Game won by the Patriots, who then beat Carolina in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

The nationally televised game that Sunday afternoon features Dallas at Minnesota. The Cowboys were 4-5 on the road last season, including a wild-card playoff loss to Carolina.

The first Sunday night game has Kansas City visiting Denver. The Monday night opener has the Panthers entertaining Green Bay.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't argue with extra draft picks, especially for a young team. This works out great if they do in fact expand practice squad rosters.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

I was gonna post this earlier, but its always nice to get something extra. I saw the full 7 round draft order list too. It looked like the Texans would've had the 1st pick in the 2nd round had they not selected Tony Hollings. I really hope Hollings has a good year next year.