1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you experienced these painful bites?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deb4rockets, Apr 13, 2020.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

arkoe and Surfguy like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

My black lab does the same thing. He’s never bitten me in 14 years.

Surfguy and deb4rockets like this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

It's the chop suey of the animal world. God thought "Hmm, what should I do with all these leftovers?"

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

“And on the 7th day god created wine from water and created the platypus and tomato.

5. Buck Turgidson

6. Buck Turgidson

Got a new one...

pissed out a kidney stone a couple of days ago, I'm pretty sure my neighbors heard me, and they live 1/4 mile away

Worst pain ever.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I woke up this morning and prepped my dog's breakfast (1 cup of dry Blue, 1 fried egg diced up). I walk into my office and there is a snake poised right there by my shoes near my office chair right by my desk. It is a brown snake and less than a foot long. So, me being the experienced snake handler that I am (lol), put on rubber gloves and grab a pizza tray along with thin plastic cutting board. This thing is in a pose and not moving. I quickly realize this little sucker means business. I try to coral it with plastic board onto pizza tray but he keeps squirming off back on to the floor. I'm worried he might make a dash for it into some area I can't find him. The whole time this little guy is posing and striking at me. So, after prepping the front door for an emergency evac, I keep working my way to the door prodding it along. My dog is wondering what the heck is going on. So, after unsuccessfully trying to get snake on pizza pan I just shoe or push him to the front door and flip him out. I go out to put him in my front garden. The whole time this little guy is posing and striking at me. I went back out for a photo and wasn't even that close...and he struck at me. This is bringing back bad memories of that reticulated python I mentioned earlier. Now, I hope he me leaves my front garden but he is just hanging out. lol

Now, I've got a "snakes in my house" problem. How many more are there? How did he get in? Umm. Now, every cord or whatever is a snake. I don't like this. :eek:

[​IMG]

Edit: He started to come back in but I caught him. He saw me and went the other way. I was tracking him but then he disappeared and I can't find him. Must have gone in a hole or something. Hmm. I think I heard him hiss "I'll be back!". This is not good. :confused:

#47 Surfguy, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    deb4rockets likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ugh, a snake in the house would terrify me!

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Animals can feel the love and kindness in a person's heart and naturally gravitate to them. You must have true empathy in your soul and just like that precious snake, know in my heart of hearts that the pizza you eat is vegan and GMO free.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

With 1825 pounds per square inch (psi) chewing power, Hippopotamus has the strongest bite force than any other living mammal. The big mouth of hippos contains large incisors and canines.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, but the OP says painful. With a Hiphopopopotamus, it would be instant death. No pain.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That, and their intent was to test out bites to provide a list to let people know about the instant pain, duration, and physical damage from insects, reptiles, and sea life that won't kill you without anti_venom or medicine right away. Like you said, a hippo would be an instant death, just like they wouldn't test bites by bears or lions, or a bull stomping you....lol.

#52 deb4rockets, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    No Worries likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My two year old just stepped on a bee, inside the house. He cried for about five seconds then shook it off and limped around, playing. Makes you realize how much of 'pain' is in your head.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My great aunt had one of those land on her arm when she was a little girl and 60+ years later she still had the distinct burn mark on her forearm. Just the little brown furry looking things zero warning signs like most highly painful creatures.

[​IMG]

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I've suffered fire ant bites like most have at one time or another in Texas, the worst thing to happen to me "bite wise" was barely bumping into some Fire Coral with my arm while snorkeling at Cozumel about 25 years ago. I guess I reacted to it, because it got worse and worse. A large part of my arm turned red and started to swell. The trip was almost over when it happened, thank goodness, and I saw a doctor as soon as I got home. He gave me a shot of something and some pills to take, saying it was good that I came in, because it could have done really serious damage to my arm, not to mention the rest of my body. Ouch!

Know what's crazy about fire ants? I thought of this when I saw the post above about that evil giant wasp from Asia. When I was a kid growing up in Houston, there were no fire ants. I ran around barefoot all summer when school was out. Our kids never got to experience that, unless they were somewhere that had been blasted with pesticides, which were places we avoided. What a world. It keeps changing and far too often it isn't change for the better.

deb4rockets likes this.
  18. SemisolidSnake

Yawn. Lacks imagery and poetry. Schmidt (see above) would be disappointed.

19. SemisolidSnake

Apparently, the Asian giant hornet, vespa mandarinia, is mentioned in Schmidt's book The Sting of the Wild as possibly the most frightening insect in the world but doesn't make it into his pain index. Thanks for yet another plague, China.

Note: the Japanese giant hornet is just a recolor of vespa mandarinia and not a separate species. The Japanese color form is the one that looks like a supersized yellow and black hornet. Which it is.

But someone has to fix the problem of missing sting pain data, and as mentioned previously in this thread, that person is Coyote Peterson. Let's all watch together.

Spoilers: Apparently, this bad boy even beats the bullet ant on Coyote's pain scale.

Edit: According to Coyote in the video, this only ranks as a 2 out of 4+ on the index which contradicts reviews I've read about the book saying it's not in there. Maybe it was added later. Regardless, I cannot find any source to show this was on Schmidt's list, but I don't have the book or access to other articles, so it maybe very well be.

#59 SemisolidSnake, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  20. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

Bullet ant sting. Twas quite painful.