1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I say Don't waste time with Webber..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jun 4, 2001.

1. GranvilleWaders

This may not be a popular statement but..move on from Webber.. he is a great player but the salary required is too much.. plus a Webber pursuit could screw with other plans.. i say resign Mo Taylor..and pursue a SF ie: SAR i know vancouver/memphis plans to keep him but i think he is attainable.. maybe a one of this years picks and our future 1st rounder next year that they can give to Detroit.. you know they would like to screw them back.. then maybe use our picks this year to get some size at center..then we wouldn't be so strapped after signing Webber..even IF he decides to come here! our PG,G,SF,PF would consist of all possible all-stars.. with a Rookie first rounder at the center spot backed up by Hakeem.. it's not like we haven't used Vancouver to get where we want before.. anyway!

------------------

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Resigning Hakeem and relying on the draft might be the way to go , because we are in over our heads with Webber . And I really hate how people keep saying Webber was such a gutless wimp in the playoffs , when you all should remeber he was playing on a bad ankle .

------------------

3. Colby

Colby Member

SAR and Mo would take up more cap room than Webber. This also does nothing to the Rockets inside power game, which would be very lacking.

Get Webber and Battier.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

4. Franchisedream

Granville!

That's a great screen name by the way. Maybe we should bring Granny back to the team.

I would be fine with or without Webber on the team. I think their is a lot of potential to having Webber as a Rocket, but there is so much that could go wrong. Webber doesn't have a habbit of sticking around very long with any team, no matter how much they bend over backwards for him. And shot distribution could always be a problem for him too. Who knows?

I guess bottom line, I will be happy if we get Webber, but I won't shed any tears if ge ends up somewhere else.

------------------

5. j-bone

j-bone Member

I don't think we will be as strapped as you think because with the new arena coming I'm pretty sure our salary cap should rise. And besides, we will be able to sign Francis to the bird-rights and once we get rid of Cato and Walt that should eliminate more waste, err cap room.

------------------

6. GranvilleWaders

I think Webber will not be the end all to the Rockets..I personally don't think we will get him.. i wouldn't be upset if we did.. I called getting Drexler and Sir Charles a year before it happened.. Mo Taylor could be had for about half of what Webber could be..but Mo is certainly not only half as good.. SAR was just an example.. mostly i like the idea of a running gun offense and the three position would need to be an vet/star..battier might be too risky.. even if we move up.. i also think dumping cao may be a little harder than you think.. i am all for it though!

anybody know what Granville is up to these days?

------------------

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Good Idea. Before steves rookie contract runs out , lets trade his best friend Cuttino off the team.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

8. GranvilleWaders

i like your spunk.. a little rambunctious though.. We all know Franchise is here to stay..his best friend Cuttino..while having trade value is here to stay..(i think its called the best-friend clause)but i think you are understanding my point of pursuing a SF.. your situation would just slide our PG - Francis to the G position.. Steve Nash however is not really attainable.. would you want to leave the Mavs right now?.. with the team and the money and his best friend Dirk Nowitzki (once again the best-friend trade clause is in effect)..i like the combo of SAR and Mo Taylor over Webber.. it's just that simple.. then you draft big!

------------------

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

and pursue a SF ie: SAR i know Vancouver/memphis plans to keep him but i think he is attainable.. maybe a one of this years picks and our future 1st rounder next year that they can give to Detroit.. you know they would like to screw them back..

Now that the June 1st deadline has past, Detroit gets Vancouver's pick next year unless it's a top 5 pick. As far as fufilling their obligation to Detroit, an additional pick this year is of no help whatsoever to Vancouver.

I don't think we will be as strapped as you think because with the new arena coming I'm pretty sure our salary cap should rise.

What does our new building have to do with our cap? The salary cap is the same for every team in the league.

Think of the possibilities of the trio- Abdur Rahim, Francis, and Anderson. They could challenge the Bucks' trio.

SAR, Francis and Anderson sounds better to you than Webber, Francis and Mobley?

------------------

10. GranvilleWaders

If Vancouver has two first rounders next year they can give up either right?

I think Francis, Mobley, SAR, Mo Taylor sounds better than all of them!

------------------

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If Vancouver has two first rounders next year they can give up either right?

No that's incorrect. Re-read my previous post:
    "Now that the June 1st deadline has past, Detroit gets VANCOUVER's pick next year unless it's a top 5 pick."

The pick has to be Grizzlies. Otherwise, Vancouver wouldn't really have too much of a problem, they'd have a whole year to try to come up with another first rounder.

------------------

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The thing about Webber is:

1) the only realistic chance we have to get him is via free agency. (we keep all our young and good players)

2) he is one of the 5 best players in the league.

3) his game is peaking and he has the length and skill to be quite effective at least through 2007.

4) he likes to pass and play in the open court.

In short, we should do everything we can to get him and just wait and see. It would be almost as good as getting Chuck five years before we did and costing us no players in the process. It would be an incredible x-mas present.

Of course it probably won't happen and we should proceed in drafting/trading thinking it won't, but by all means roll out the red carpet.

13. Franchisedream

I wish I did. He was my favorite Rocket back in the 80's. Just something about the guy. I liked Chuck Nevitts as well, but I think Granny had a little something more going for him.

------------------

14. GranvilleWaders

Could someone post a picture of Granville Waders.. i would love to see his ugly mug..his image just screams basketball player!!

------------------

15. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I would like to modify GranvilleWaders suggestion.
    OK not to pursue Chris Webber.
    But before pursuing Shareef Abdur Rahim, try getting a point guard like Steve Nash.

With Abdur Rahim and Steve Francis, Houston could trade Mobley, and then try to resign Anderson.

Think of the possibilities of the trio- Abdur Rahim, Francis, and Anderson. They could challenge the Bucks' trio.

I'm sure though this would draw a decent number of flak.

What say you...?

------------------